Celtic v St Johnstone 26th August 2017

Any time you leave Glasgow with a point , it's been a good day at the office.

Well on our way to an unbeaten season though, turn them over in Perth and we'll be champions nae bother.

Finally, for those unsure what a punch looks like, get yourself on Sky Box Office, should see a few later on.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm all for knocking it about at the back but Gordon and the boys on defensive duty at the moment are not the players I want doing it.

Its like getting the wife to reverse park my car.

This. I cant really criticise a manager who has taken his team to 52 games unbeaten, but advertising the fact you'll continue to encourage Gordon to have possession seems mental. He's absolutely brutal at it and has been his entire career, he had a few dodgy moments before we finally scored from it. All it'll take is most teams to have the bollocks to actually press the defence and you could be seeing goals like that weekly.

As other have touched upon, really good first half performance. Set out from the first minute to press high up the pitch and didn't give too much respect to Celtic as arguably we have at times. Assume the original plan was that Davidson was going to play further forward and help with that before the injury.

MacLean was brilliant up top. I'm not convinced about him normally in a 4-5-1 but his link play was a different class, he occupied the centre halves and generally led the line well. Helps massively when you get players round him too.

Up to the last half hour hadn't looked unduly troubled defensively but from the MacLean miss onwards were pretty much encamped in our own half. Not sure what happened tactically that left Comrie so exposed the last half hour.

Was at the game today, and my mate Aaron Comrie was making his second appearance for St Johnstone. Thought he had a strong first half, but looked really exposed in the second. St Johnstone looked a well organised side, and should comfortably make the top 4. Credit to Tommy Wright, having St Johnstone consistently up there every season.

2 hours ago, Romeo said:

I'm all for knocking it about at the back but Gordon and the boys on defensive duty at the moment are not the players I want doing it.

Its like getting the wife to reverse park my car.

My wife is the best reverse parker I know. Bar none.

12 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Agree with most of that tony,heard Rodgers on the radio taking the blame for Gordon trying to find a man,sometimes you just need to boot the ball up the park it was a bad goal to lose,very poor first half from Celtic this is happening time and time again, taking 30 minutes to create chances to much tippy tappy football need to mix it up more,forward players making runs and not getting it always playing the safe ball and controlling the game very frustrating at times. 

12 hours ago, Booker-T said:

Extreme Entitlement Syndrome.

Seemed to pick it up shortly after the **** died.

I was hoping that the sheeples or jambos would absorbed some of that by now.

:angel

So pleased with the way Saints played in the first half yesterday. Tommy Wright was a man with a plan and his team executed it to a tee, despite losing Davidson after about 40 seconds. Brave enough to press high as a team but more importantly to pass the ball. I thought we moved the ball well enough to cause Celtic problems, which was great to see. Last 30 minutes were an onslaught but I'd argue we deserved our point.

2 hours ago, Broon_100 said:

Thought Kieran Tierney was a disgrace today. Him and macca grabbing each other, Macca shoves him off and Tierney goes down trying to get him a card. Wee cheat.

Bitton throwing himself to the ground in our box after he committed a foul first half in an attempt to get a player sent off was worse than Tierney's incident. That kind of nonsense just pisses me off.

Fair play to Willie Collum yesterday. A weaker referee might have caved to the 50,000 desperate shouts of PENALTY anytime a tackle went in anywhere near the box. Best refereeing performance I've seen against and Old Firm team in many a year.

Also fair play to all the Celtic fans that approached me yesterday. Every one of them very complimentary about Saints. I even had one guy recanting tales of the Scottish Cup final and Steven Macleans celebrations - seemed more knowledgeable about Saints than is healthy haha. Hate to say it but I've always found Celtic fans pretty decent.

2 hours ago, Broon_100 said:

Also fair play to all the Celtic fans that approached me yesterday. Every one of them very complimentary about Saints. I even had one guy recanting tales of the Scottish Cup final and Steven Macleans celebrations - seemed more knowledgeable about Saints than is healthy haha. Hate to say it but I've always found Celtic fans pretty decent.

An obese Celtic fan tried to trip my son up as we tried to cut across the hordes coming the other way after the game, directing the c word at him.

The attempted trip didn't work. I told him we'd rather cut across him than walk round him. Don't think he understood.

30 minutes ago, andrewh said:

An obese Celtic fan tried to trip my son up as we tried to cut across the hordes coming the other way after the game, directing the c word at him.

The attempted trip didn't work. I told him we'd rather cut across him than walk round him. Don't think he understood.

Probably Magee.

4 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Why are Celtic the worst team to get an attendance from? Consistenly no crowd given.

Maybe some of it goes directly into the biscuit tin as opposed to the bank account.

Also did they not used to count all season tickets even if the owners did not turn up for the match?  

35 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Why are Celtic the worst team to get an attendance from? Consistenly no crowd given.

29 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Maybe some of it goes directly into the biscuit tin as opposed to the bank account.

Also did they not used to count all season tickets even if the owners did not turn up for the match?  

This is the reason.

The last few seasons our average attendance was listed as 45,000 when quite clearly this wasn't the case.

3 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

This is the reason.

The last few seasons our average attendance was listed as 45,000 when quite clearly this wasn't the case.

In the Celtic fans credit it looked pretty much full yesterday. 

I know they were selling champions league tickets but a full house against Saints isn't bad!

Archived