Berwick Rangers next manager

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some possibilities.
First is that they set up with a tighter defence this week due to the return of Scullion and playing 5 at the back. Will need to hear more about the way they set up from someone who was there, though.
Second, perhaps Beath were shite.
Third, maybe Coughlin had begun to "lose the dressing room" and the players just gave 10% more today.
Finally, after last week, perhaps the players own professional pride forced a positive reaction.
From what I've read so far, combination of all 4 might be true.

I think you're right on all counts. It was interesting to hear Billy Brown saying that if Coughlin was good enough to start the season, he was due more than 3 league matches. I feel that too; but perhaps the legacy of the feeling that Cameron was kept too long was a factor.

I just hope, as I said before, the new manager is a full time post, as Coughlin's reach into community-based player development, and personal activity was well documented if undervalued.

Our challenge is luring good players away from their local clubs where their travel is easier and their pay is as good. Coughlin worked tirelessly on that; the time required to do both, along with all the other activities required to even sustain our position, let alone improve it, is not available at nights and on weekends.

35 minutes ago, A Believer said:

I think you're right on all counts. It was interesting to hear Billy Brown saying that if Coughlin was good enough to start the season, he was due more than 3 league matches. I feel that too; but perhaps the legacy of the feeling that Cameron was kept too long was a factor.

I just hope, as I said before, the new manager is a full time post, as Coughlin's reach into community-based player development, and personal activity was well documented if undervalued.

Our challenge is luring good players away from their local clubs where their travel is easier and their pay is as good. Coughlin worked tirelessly on that; the time required to do both, along with all the other activities required to even sustain our position, let alone improve it, is not available at nights and on weekends.

Fair comment, but I think they will go part time purely due to panic about the budget. Presumably Coughlin got a cheque on his way out.

Always a bit of a risk taking on a rookie manager, but at 32 years old should still be able to do a decent job in our midfield.

Every managerial appointment is a risk at this level. For every Jim Duffy there's a Jocky Scott, for every Paul Hartley or Darren Young there's a Barry Ferguson or Colin Cameron.

You really have to just go with what you think is the best opinion at the time. We went down the untried route so many times with repeated failures but now appear to have landed on our feet, Kevin Thomson certainly has the credentials to do well in management, surely worth a punt by someone at this level.

31 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Every managerial appointment is a risk at this level. For every Jim Duffy there's a Jocky Scott, for every Paul Hartley, Dave Mackay or Darren Young there's a Barry Ferguson or Colin Cameron.

You really have to just go with what you think is the best opinion at the time. We went down the untried route so many times with repeated failures but now appear to have landed on our feet, Kevin Thomson certainly has the credentials to do well in management, surely worth a punt by someone at this level.

Ftfy

Just now, Dynamo 2013 said:

He was only there for 2 weeks emoji23.png

I know emoji23.png He turned Airdrie's fortunes around in that short period and I know a lot of their fans were very disappointed when he departed. Add to the fact he done well with us at hearts with CL and his experience with East Fife and the Lithuania national team. Not a bad CV for the Wee Gers. 

I know [emoji23] He turned Airdrie's fortunes around in that short period and I know a lot of their fans were very disappointed when he departed. Add to the fact he done well with us at hearts with CL and his experience with East Fife and the Lithuania national team. Not a bad CV for the Wee Gers. 

Good luck Willie [emoji2]

On 26/08/2017 at 22:11, A Believer said:

So, what was the difference between the last 2 weeks; shipping 9 goals and scoring 1, and today? Discarding the manager? Discuss please.

We didn't have 1 fit striker and started with a midfielder on his own upfront.

maybe why we had more of the ball and not enough cutting edge, although we had several opportunities 2 nd half and hit the bar. Your goalie had a good game too, as did ours.

Bonnyrigg have confirmed on twitter that Horn has left to become the manager at Berwick

edit - link to their website, http://www.bonnyriggrosefc.co.uk/teams/118321/news/horn-departs-new-dundas-park-for-shielfield-1965630.html

That news will disappoint those who wanted something new and fresh, but most fans will be very happy.

The appointment was so quick, Robbie Horn almost got the job before Coughlin left..... In fact, someone has already changed his wiki page.

I think he genuinely gives a toss about the club, and has a good record at Bonnyrigg. Just hope he learned nothing from Cameron, and doesn't bring Lee Currie back.

9 minutes ago, Redcar said:

That news will disappoint those who wanted something new and fresh, but most fans will be very happy.

The appointment was so quick, Robbie Horn almost got the job before Coughlin left..... In fact, someone has already changed his wiki page.

I think he genuinely gives a toss about the club, and has a good record at Bonnyrigg. Just hope he learned nothing from Cameron, and doesn't bring Lee Currie back.

Quite a few ex players there at the minute..

On 8/19/2017 at 17:56, The Scruffy Pidgeon said:

Following JC's exit Robbie Horn is an early favourite to succeed.

It sometimes scares me just how right I can be... I informed you all that this was happening an hour after the final whistle 10 days ago... God I'm good. Coo coo!! 8)

Let's hope this appointment will see all factions pull together. The club can only move forward with everyone putting their differences to one-side and supporting each other with the problems that lie ahead. There is now a manager that has the respect of the majority of supporters if not all. Kicking on together, there is hope. Kicking off against each other, there is the lowland league. 

Archived