Platinum Memberships, Paypal and Ad Blockers

Prior to the big upgrade last year we ran our platinum subscriptions via a plugin on the old version of the forum. That plugin used PayPal only and payments were sent to the PP account at webmaster@pieandbovril.co.uk

Once we did the upgrade last year the plugin was no longer required, or compatible, as it was replaced with the built in subscription manager on the new forum version.

I went through all platinum accounts last summer and created a brand new 1 year membership for all Platinum users. These have recently been expiring and become due for renewal on their 1 year anniversary.

Paypal payments on the new platform go to webmaster@pieandbovril.com.

It seems independently of this that some people still have recurring payment agreements set up on their Paypal account to send money to webmaster@pieandbovril.co.uk

Those payments are not tied to the forum at all in any way so although you've sent money, the software doesn't know anything about it and I'm also clueless as to who the payments are for.

So............... here's the plan to fix.

1) I will go through the webmaster@pieandbovril.co.uk account today and refund any payments made to us for platinum subscriptions in the last month

2) I have cancelled ALL recurring paypal agreements to the old account.

3) If you wish to take out a new platinum subsription you can then do so via the Store link at the top of the site. We accept Paypal and Credit card payments.

4) Going forward payments will be taken and applied to your account and you'll receive invoices and alerts automatically

5) If you feel you have been incorrectly charged for a subscription or you've paid using the new platform and don't have Platinum membership please open a support ticket via the Support tab at the top of the page

As an aside we are currently testing an ad-blocker-blocker on the site at the moment and will implement that in due course. This will prevent users from accessing the site when they have ad-blockers enabled.

4 minutes ago, Div said:

As an aside we are currently testing an ad-blocker-blocker on the site at the moment and will implement that in due course. This will prevent users from accessing the site when they have ad-blockers enabled.

Will it prevent a platinum member from accessing with an ad blocker? (If that makes sense) I have platinum but also use an ad blocker for other sites at work.

Having said that probably a matter of time before someone invents and ad-blocker-blocker-blocker. Could be ad infinitum!

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Will it prevent a platinum member from accessing with an ad blocker? (If that makes sense) I have platinum but also use an ad blocker for other sites at work.

Having said that probably a matter of time before someone invents and ad-blocker-blocker-blocker. Could be ad infinitum!

Ha! You will most likely need to disable it when visiting P&B or put our site on a whitelist to stop your blocker kicking in when you visit the site.

I'm sure someone will find a way around it if they are determined enough!

2 minutes ago, Div said:

Ha! You will most likely need to disable it when visiting P&B or put our site on a whitelist to stop your blocker kicking in when you visit the site.

That's fine the only reason I've got it really is for Sporcle, the ads were unbearable on that site. Hardly use it anymore now anyway.

5 hours ago, Div said:

That's what I currently do - despite recently - when loading new pages, my screen keeps on flicking to the bottom of the page to watch a GoCompare Ad

5 hours ago, Div said:

So what then are the benefits of being a platinum member, if you're going to have to endure the ads?

6 minutes ago, German Jag said:

So what then are the benefits of being a platinum member, if you're going to have to endure the ads?

You won't have to endure the ads. I need to switch the ad blocker off to access the site, but because I'm platinum there are no ads anyway.

3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

You won't have to endure the ads. I need to switch the ad blocker off to access the site, but because I'm platinum there are no ads anyway.

Ah, slight misinterpretaion on my part! Till now have never had to deactivate the ad-blocker on any of the 4 devices that I regularly use to access the site. 

6 hours ago, Div said:

Prior to the big upgrade last year we ran our platinum subscriptions via a plugin on the old version of the forum. That plugin used PayPal only and payments were sent to the PP account at webmaster@pieandbovril.co.uk

Once we did the upgrade last year the plugin was no longer required, or compatible, as it was replaced with the built in subscription manager on the new forum version.

I went through all platinum accounts last summer and created a brand new 1 year membership for all Platinum users. These have recently been expiring and become due for renewal on their 1 year anniversary.

Paypal payments on the new platform go to webmaster@pieandbovril.com.

It seems independently of this that some people still have recurring payment agreements set up on their Paypal account to send money to webmaster@pieandbovril.co.uk

Those payments are not tied to the forum at all in any way so although you've sent money, the software doesn't know anything about it and I'm also clueless as to who the payments are for.

So............... here's the plan to fix.

1) I will go through the webmaster@pieandbovril.co.uk account today and refund any payments made to us for platinum subscriptions in the last month

2) I have cancelled ALL recurring paypal agreements to the old account.

3) If you wish to take out a new platinum subsription you can then do so via the Store link at the top of the site. We accept Paypal and Credit card payments.

4) Going forward payments will be taken and applied to your account and you'll receive invoices and alerts automatically

5) If you feel you have been incorrectly charged for a subscription or you've paid using the new platform and don't have Platinum membership please open a support ticket via the Support tab at the top of the page

Government-esque levels of slipping in bad news.

2 hours ago, German Jag said:

Ah, slight misinterpretaion on my part! Till now have never had to deactivate the ad-blocker on any of the 4 devices that I regularly use to access the site. 

You will soon!

Basically the only benefits of being Platinum are that you can change your own username and you're a class above the pond life?

I'll continue to donate ten quid. Those hot tub cleaning tablets won't pay for themselves.

See point 5 in the opening post.

Same question from me. My payment was made in April via PayPal. I see I've been relegated to Gold but I'm not seeing a refund in PayPal?

As I said, I'm not bothered about the cash, I'm happy to be a (small time) benefactor. Just wondering what the situation was?

Archived