Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Div

Platinum Memberships, Paypal and Ad Blockers

Recommended Posts

Prior to the big upgrade last year we ran our platinum subscriptions via a plugin on the old version of the forum. That plugin used PayPal only and payments were sent to the PP account at [email protected]

Once we did the upgrade last year the plugin was no longer required, or compatible, as it was replaced with the built in subscription manager on the new forum version.

I went through all platinum accounts last summer and created a brand new 1 year membership for all Platinum users. These have recently been expiring and become due for renewal on their 1 year anniversary.

Paypal payments on the new platform go to [email protected]

It seems independently of this that some people still have recurring payment agreements set up on their Paypal account to send money to [email protected]

Those payments are not tied to the forum at all in any way so although you've sent money, the software doesn't know anything about it and I'm also clueless as to who the payments are for.

 

So............... here's the plan to fix.

1) I will go through the [email protected] account today and refund any payments made to us for platinum subscriptions in the last month

2) I have cancelled ALL recurring paypal agreements to the old account.

3) If you wish to take out a new platinum subsription you can then do so via the Store link at the top of the site. We accept Paypal and Credit card payments.

4) Going forward payments will be taken and applied to your account and you'll receive invoices and alerts automatically

5) If you feel you have been incorrectly charged for a subscription or you've paid using the new platform and don't have Platinum membership please open a support ticket via the Support tab at the top of the page

As an aside we are currently testing an ad-blocker-blocker on the site at the moment and will implement that in due course. This will prevent users from accessing the site when they have ad-blockers enabled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Div said:

 

 

 

As an aside we are currently testing an ad-blocker-blocker on the site at the moment and will implement that in due course. This will prevent users from accessing the site when they have ad-blockers enabled.

Will it prevent a platinum member from accessing with an ad blocker? (If that makes sense) I have platinum but also use an ad blocker for other sites at work.

Having said that probably a matter of time before someone invents and ad-blocker-blocker-blocker. Could be ad infinitum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Will it prevent a platinum member from accessing with an ad blocker? (If that makes sense) I have platinum but also use an ad blocker for other sites at work.

Having said that probably a matter of time before someone invents and ad-blocker-blocker-blocker. Could be ad infinitum!

Ha! You will most likely need to disable it when visiting P&B or put our site on a whitelist to stop your blocker kicking in when you visit the site.

I'm sure someone will find a way around it if they are determined enough!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Div said:

Ha! You will most likely need to disable it when visiting P&B or put our site on a whitelist to stop your blocker kicking in when you visit the site.

I'm sure someone will find a way around it if they are determined enough!

That's fine the only reason I've got it really is for Sporcle, the ads were unbearable on that site. Hardly use it anymore now anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Div said:

Ha! You will most likely need to disable it when visiting P&B or put our site on a whitelist to stop your blocker kicking in when you visit the site.

I'm sure someone will find a way around it if they are determined enough!

That's what I currently do - despite recently - when loading new pages, my screen keeps on flicking to the bottom of the page to watch a GoCompare Ad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Div said:

Ha! You will most likely need to disable it when visiting P&B or put our site on a whitelist to stop your blocker kicking in when you visit the site.

I'm sure someone will find a way around it if they are determined enough!

So what then are the benefits of being a platinum member, if you're going to have to endure the ads?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, German Jag said:

So what then are the benefits of being a platinum member, if you're going to have to endure the ads?

 

You won't have to endure the ads. I need to switch the ad blocker off to access the site, but because I'm platinum there are no ads anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

You won't have to endure the ads. I need to switch the ad blocker off to access the site, but because I'm platinum there are no ads anyway.

Ah, slight misinterpretaion on my part! Till now have never had to deactivate the ad-blocker on any of the 4 devices that I regularly use to access the site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Div said:

Prior to the big upgrade last year we ran our platinum subscriptions via a plugin on the old version of the forum. That plugin used PayPal only and payments were sent to the PP account at [email protected]

Once we did the upgrade last year the plugin was no longer required, or compatible, as it was replaced with the built in subscription manager on the new forum version.

I went through all platinum accounts last summer and created a brand new 1 year membership for all Platinum users. These have recently been expiring and become due for renewal on their 1 year anniversary.

Paypal payments on the new platform go to [email protected]

It seems independently of this that some people still have recurring payment agreements set up on their Paypal account to send money to [email protected]

Those payments are not tied to the forum at all in any way so although you've sent money, the software doesn't know anything about it and I'm also clueless as to who the payments are for.

 

So............... here's the plan to fix.

1) I will go through the [email protected] account today and refund any payments made to us for platinum subscriptions in the last month

2) I have cancelled ALL recurring paypal agreements to the old account.

3) If you wish to take out a new platinum subsription you can then do so via the Store link at the top of the site. We accept Paypal and Credit card payments.

4) Going forward payments will be taken and applied to your account and you'll receive invoices and alerts automatically

5) If you feel you have been incorrectly charged for a subscription or you've paid using the new platform and don't have Platinum membership please open a support ticket via the Support tab at the top of the page

As an aside we are currently testing an ad-blocker-blocker on the site at the moment and will implement that in due course. This will prevent users from accessing the site when they have ad-blockers enabled.

Government-esque levels of slipping in bad news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, German Jag said:

Ah, slight misinterpretaion on my part! Till now have never had to deactivate the ad-blocker on any of the 4 devices that I regularly use to access the site. 

You will soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Fancy refunding people not beyond the last month please?

See point 5 in the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically the only benefits of being Platinum are that you can change your own username and you're a class above the pond life?

I'll continue to donate ten quid. Those hot tub cleaning tablets won't pay for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I paid a subscription in January this year.

I now see adverts - do I have to pay again now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So I paid a subscription in January this year.
I now see adverts - do I have to pay again now?


See point 5 in the opening post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So, do I renew this or am I supposed to delete it and start again?
Screenshot_20170818-103007.thumb.png.bc9c49fc4a9bf1c561de22cea191886f.png


This is all on the new platform so if you want to renew, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


See point 5 in the opening post.

Same question from me. My payment was made in April via PayPal. I see I've been relegated to Gold but I'm not seeing a refund in PayPal?

As I said, I'm not bothered about the cash, I'm happy to be a (small time) benefactor. Just wondering what the situation was?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×