Elgin v Clyde

I don't really want to post about Currie again but that first comment there... Really? I don't think that's a good way to assess goalkeepers at all. The best three saves I've seen in my time following Clyde are John Gibson v Stirling in the cup last season, Peter Cherrie v Hibs in a friendly and Alan Martin v Queen's Park. Two of those are amongst the worst goalkeepers we've had. Indeed, Gibson regularly made good saves, particularly from one-on-ones, but wasted that by being completely indecisive, hopeless at crosses and producing some unbelievable errors.
Look at Elgin's goalkeeper on Saturday; he made some outstanding saves when at Clyde but was dropped for Gibson, and is a complete bombscare that the Elgin fans are petrified of. The Elgin fans on the halfway line were talking Currie up throughout the game when comparing him to Waters in terms of how he dealt with crosses, and his distribution. 
I really rated Kyle Gourlay last season, as I think did every single Clyde fan. He was technically excellent, even at a young age. I don't think he made a single outstanding save. Martin, without much debate our most rounded goalkeeper in 20 years, made an occasional excellent save but even if he hadn't, his all round game made him a star at this level.
If we're going with that thought though, then I'd throw at you the shot he tipped over against Kilmarnock, his save from Omar against Annan, and arguably the free-kick against Berwick (although he'd maybe not be happy with his positioning prior to that) as shots he saved which you wouldn't expect him to keep out. 
I'd suggest the goals we've conceded that he could have done better with are limited to the second/third against Berwick (and the second can equally be attributed to Nicoll for the foul, and the defence for not following in), and the pass-back against Stranraer (and even then some people are still saying it was a knee-back). I really don't see how he could have done anything else for any of the other goals we've conceded in league and cup, even if he had been pointlessly flinging himself about the place. I think what we're really seeing is that even at this level, guys given a completely free shot at goal from less than 20 yards will generally hit the corner (I think Scott McLaughlin scored every single shot he took during the warm ups). When you play a top division side like Killie, a 'keeper will have no chance if subjected to that kind of shot. Our defence has given up an abnormal amount of free-shots from that area of the pitch, and inside the box, mainly from dropping too deep.
Obviously people have different opinions, some will rate him, others won't, but it helps no-one when people spout complete nonsense. I've seen someone claim he should have saved the first Elgin goal on Saturday; a shot from 16 yards that was fired in off the inside of the post. There is literally not a goalkeeper in the world who would have saved that.
If we sort out our defence, and particularly midfield, and stop retreating deep into our box to defend, then I think people will start thinking Currie is a decent 'keeper. And he won't be doing much different.

Good arguments.

I'll wait and see if Currie comes good.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to give Wilson, Harrison or Bradley a game in defence. Have no idea if any of them are any good but worth a try. Thought the Stranraer game in the Challenge Cup would have been an ideal time to give some of them a game.

The red card would never be overturned. It’s only a yellow in the box now if it’s deemed as an accidental foul while trying to make a fair challenge for the ball, whereas Currie pretty much pushed the Elgin player over once the ball was past him. Had he dived along the ground, towards the ball and tripped the player on purpose he might have been lucky and got away with a yellow card.
Incidentally, though you can’t tell much just from training, but I think Belkacem looks decent during warm ups and wouldn’t worry much about him playing, other than the dodgy defence in front of him.

Agree no point in signing the guy and not playing him when required
That said I think they might register Crawford as a player and play him in goals

2 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Time to give Wilson, Harrison or Bradley a game in defence. Have no idea if any of them are any good but worth a try. Thought the Stranraer game in the Challenge Cup would have been an ideal time to give some of them a game.

tried to dig out some info on these players. couldn't find anything much on Wilson apart from him playing for Alloa u20s then with Cumbernauld Colts. Harrison I was more successful with and spoke to an ex Accies coach who knew him. Said he was highly rated and had played for Scotland as a right back but had left them to join St Mirren to push for first team football. Also said he had a few bad injuries and felt he was injury prone. On Bradley also spoke to a guy who knew him and said good solid centre half at youth level. Also said this was his final year under contract at rangers and would be surprised if it got renewed but thought eventually he could play at a decent level. 

Archived