Elgin v Clyde

Back to the matter at hand. From last years team we had McNiff, Flynn and Goodwillie playing. That's quite a turnaround. What's more galling is that we are realistically 1 or 2 players off being a right good team. A tall no nonsense Centre Half and a midfielder to do the job Flynn should be doing.
Clyde followers are notorious for being half empty glass folk, but even I am surprised by the less than patient opinion on the new team and management. Three league games for goodness sake. Both should be judged after a few weeks at least.

Think you will find most fans agree the team is playing well going forward as for patience? the defence has been poor since the start of the season The frustration is coming from seeing the lack of any thing being done about . If we haven't the resources to bring in any players then just tell the fans and we just have to live with it.
Let's see where we are after the first quarter

Let's hope we get a centre half in asap

Seems strange you ask for patience yet only three games into the season you single out Flynn for criticism he played virtually no football last season under the last management

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with the defence is simple.  Instead of having a cohesive unit organised by the "talker" at the back, they look like 4 individuals trying their best to do their own job without any guidance. As a result, players end up miles out of position, 2 or 3 going for the same ball, huge gaps appear,  nobody's taking responsibility for keeping the line.  They're absolutely all over the place.

Chapman's going to have to make a decision and quickly.  Either he feels what's in his pool are good enough, in which case he's going to have to drill the hell out of them in training and nominate the talker everyone else takes their lead from, or he's going to have to sign one, possibly two. 

It's all very well talking about individual players or mistakes, midfielders not tracking back blah blah blah, look at Elgin's second goal.  There's 5 Clyde players in the box and two Elgin lads, that's lack of organisation. It's not going to fix itself.  I'm not interested in what a manager has to say, only what he does.  Get on with it.

2 hours ago, Only one David Marsh said:

From the highlights it looks like our defence spends more time ball watching than actually defending, home and Stewart need to do better especially at the equaliser, a bit of organisation we'd we joint top 

Stewart yes, Home no. I assume you mean Cuddihy? However, it can be prevented before then. I'd look at the midfield trio, who had previously defended well, interchanging when required, and fulfilling their roles dealing with fullbacks. The screenshot below shows an acceptable back "5". However, the midfield trio are all concentrated in a small area of the pitch. This means that Cuddihy comes in too tight, leaving space around the back for the full-back. I'd suggest blame for the goal lies squarely with Ramsay/Miller. Either Ramsay for unneccesarily covering inside, or Miller for not replacing his team-mate in the wider position.

It's that goal which is really frustrating for me, as it was just about the only occasion that the work on the training ground collapsed. We're unlucky to be punished by conceding a goal to be honest; even given the midfield error. A Marko would have dealt with the cross, and Stewart could easily have cleared it as well.

elgingoal.png

21 minutes ago, David W said:

Stewart yes, Home no. I assume you mean Cuddihy? However, it can be prevented before then. I'd look at the midfield trio, who had previously defended well, interchanging when required, and fulfilling their roles dealing with fullbacks. The screenshot below shows an acceptable back "5". However, the midfield trio are all concentrated in a small area of the pitch. This means that Cuddihy comes in too tight, leaving space around the back for the full-back. I'd suggest blame for the goal lies squarely with Ramsay/Miller. Either Ramsay for unneccesarily covering inside, or Miller for not replacing his team-mate in the wider position.

It's that goal which is really frustrating for me, as it was just about the only occasion that the work on the training ground collapsed. We're unlucky to be punished by conceding a goal to be honest; even given the midfield error. A Marko would have dealt with the cross, and Stewart could easily have cleared it as well.

elgingoal.png

If Memory serves me correct, Millar had went on a mazy run from the halfway line up to the corner area, didn't release the ball and lost possession. May be a reason for him being out of position. Remember thinking at the time, that all came from Millar losing the ball.

It's a new team and it needs time to adjust. We won't win the league this year. We might not the make the play offs. The manager needs at least a season to sort things out. Come on folks get a grip. Do you Honestly think the manger doesn't know we have defensive issues. Let's give him time to resolve this.

Don't think there is anyone not prepared to give him a chance to sort the team out , the rest of our play is pretty good , as in said they have 350 extra coming in each week so there should be funds available to make at least one good signing

Does seem that miller and Flynn are getting the blame for most of our ills which I find bizarre considering we have defenders incapable of doing basic defending

all about opinions

One or two players into that squad and no reason we shouldn't make the play offs

Let's be a bit ambitious [emoji106]

Does seem that miller and Flynn are getting the blame for most of our ills which I find bizarre considering we have defenders incapable of doing basic defending

Flynn has been ineffective in almost every game. I don't claim to know the reason for it. It may or not be for tactical reasons.

Miller has been poor in the last few games. However, he can offer something that no one else in the team does. That is a very good delivery from set pieces.

I think the major problem with midfield is that there is no defence minded player who knows how to play the role that provides some protection to the very weak defence and that can disrupt the opposition build up.

As for the defence, you could see on Saturday that Breslin, who I thought played well in the first half, lacked confidence. This often manifested itself in him deliberately putting his clearances in to row z when he had time to clear the ball upfield.

Sadly, I don't think Breslin or Home have any role in any improved defence we may find in the future.

Regarding the second goal conceded on Saturday, Stewart is not exactly bursting a gut to get in front of the scorer. He must share a great amount of the blame.

There are defensive problems throughout the team and the current personnel should at least look incrementally better as they play more matches.

They don't!

I note that the Elgin highlights do not show the dreadful tackle on Smart. I think that tells a story.

Frustration appears to be prominent at the moment as we can see that there is a unit there that could provide some success, whether it be enhanced with additional personnel and/or tactical awareness. At 2 goals up we were in full flow, so comfortable and did not appear to be in any danger, however fully aware of previous defensive frailties we allow a soft first goal for not shutting down the movement around the box and then psychologically we go in at the break on the back foot. 2nd half we allow Elgin to dominate and dictate play for some unknown reason and ultimately gain so much confidence. We only created a few chances in the 2nd half on the counter and began to be anxious both in our attacking follies and defending as a unit.

Credit to Elgin for digging in for the 90+mins, seen better Elgin sides in the past, however with a never say die attitude and being a bit more streetwise than ourselves, 3 points in the bag, cracking debut by the loanee full-back, hopefully we see some movement on the loan front prior to next weeks game only if better quality than we have at the moment, seen too many dross loanees in the past especially from Sevco and the other mob............

Ok some flash points during the game and debatable whether Cameron should have been sent off for the lunge on Smart, and prior to the extremely poor attempt at a pass back and resultant penalty, Elgin had the better chances to score especially the free header by the sub Reid? near the end

Anyway, no doubt you need not reminding but ffs lets get it sorted Chappie, should have been out of sight before the collapse..................  As stated previously by our stalwarts we'll assess our standing after the first quarter to see if we are in contention this season............ 

It's a new team and it needs time to adjust. We won't win the league this year. We might not the make the play offs. The manager needs at least a season to sort things out. Come on folks get a grip. Do you Honestly think the manger doesn't know we have defensive issues. Let's give him time to resolve this.

He had 5 years (or whatever) at Annan and never managed to resolve their defensive issues. Don't buy the whole needs time thing, it's Scottish League 2 not the champions league. Playoffs (at the right end) should be the minimum target, anything less is a failure.

He had 5 years (or whatever) at Annan and never managed to resolve their defensive issues. Don't buy the whole needs time thing, it's Scottish League 2 not the champions league. Playoffs (at the right end) should be the minimum target, anything less is a failure.

This is not Annan and it's only been 3 league come on

Clyde cannot hold a lead...total Achilles heal...opponents have sussed this Clyde team. Clyde ALWAYS concede. Cannot manage a match when holding a lead. Becoming a bit of a laughing stock really. No leadership on the park. Total panic throughout the team when they concede.  Hope you took Elgin at "in play" 12/1 @ Elgin 0 v 2 Clyde....I did...just saying....Jeremy Fisher. 

Frustration appears to be prominent at the moment as we can see that there is a unit there that could provide some success, whether it be enhanced with additional personnel and/or tactical awareness. At 2 goals up we were in full flow, so comfortable and did not appear to be in any danger, however fully aware of previous defensive frailties we allow a soft first goal for not shutting down the movement around the box and then psychologically we go in at the break on the back foot. 2nd half we allow Elgin to dominate and dictate play for some unknown reason and ultimately gain so much confidence. We only created a few chances in the 2nd half on the counter and began to be anxious both in our attacking follies and defending as a unit.
Credit to Elgin for digging in for the 90+mins, seen better Elgin sides in the past, however with a never say die attitude and being a bit more streetwise than ourselves, 3 points in the bag, cracking debut by the loanee full-back, hopefully we see some movement on the loan front prior to next weeks game only if better quality than we have at the moment, seen too many dross loanees in the past especially from Sevco and the other mob............
Ok some flash points during the game and debatable whether Cameron should have been sent off for the lunge on Smart, and prior to the extremely poor attempt at a pass back and resultant penalty, Elgin had the better chances to score especially the free header by the sub Reid? near the end
Anyway, no doubt you need not reminding but ffs lets get it sorted Chappie, should have been out of sight before the collapse..................  As stated previously by our stalwarts we'll assess our standing after the first quarter to see if we are in contention this season............ 

You mean Allan the sub that missed header, Reid started

On 8/19/2017 at 23:14, David W said:

I agree. 5 games where we've lost the lead already is a terrible record. However, it's silly for people to claim that the manager doesn't know where we're going wrong, or that he's doing nothing to fix it. 

All 8 cup and league games we've been in the lead at some stage, and lost 5 of them.

Also, to JC1 - I take it you're a relative of the keeper. I've seen him in 6 of those games, and he's only made a handful of saves in these games.

In the Berwick game, their keeper had much more to do, and lost 1 goal, whereas our keeper had 3 shots on target against him, and although I'm not suggesting he was solely to blame for any of them, the bottom line is we lost 3 goals from those 3 shots.

Early days, but I would hope for better than I've seen from him.

I've always said that the sign of a good goalkeeper is the saving of shots that you would not expect them to save.

Currie has not saved one shot in that regard.

The fact that he has fumbled the ball on a few occasions and often seems to be rooted to the spot does not inspire confidence from the fans.

In saying that, the Annan fans seem to think he was a good keeper and they have seen a lot more of him than myself. I really hope he comes good.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

I've always said that the sign of a good goalkeeper is the saving of shots that you would not expect them to save.

Currie has not saved one shot in that regard.

The fact that he has fumbled the ball on a few occasions and often seems to be rooted to the spot does not inspire confidence from the fans.

In saying that, the Annan fans seem to think he was a good keeper and they have seen a lot more of him than myself. I really hope he comes good.

I don't really want to post about Currie again but that first comment there... Really? I don't think that's a good way to assess goalkeepers at all. The best three saves I've seen in my time following Clyde are John Gibson v Stirling in the cup last season, Peter Cherrie v Hibs in a friendly and Alan Martin v Queen's Park. Two of those are amongst the worst goalkeepers we've had. Indeed, Gibson regularly made good saves, particularly from one-on-ones, but wasted that by being completely indecisive, hopeless at crosses and producing some unbelievable errors.

Look at Elgin's goalkeeper on Saturday; he made some outstanding saves when at Clyde but was dropped for Gibson, and is a complete bombscare that the Elgin fans are petrified of. The Elgin fans on the halfway line were talking Currie up throughout the game when comparing him to Waters in terms of how he dealt with crosses, and his distribution. 

I really rated Kyle Gourlay last season, as I think did every single Clyde fan. He was technically excellent, even at a young age. I don't think he made a single outstanding save. Martin, without much debate our most rounded goalkeeper in 20 years, made an occasional excellent save but even if he hadn't, his all round game made him a star at this level.

If we're going with that thought though, then I'd throw at you the shot he tipped over against Kilmarnock, his save from Omar against Annan, and arguably the free-kick against Berwick (although he'd maybe not be happy with his positioning prior to that) as shots he saved which you wouldn't expect him to keep out. 

I'd suggest the goals we've conceded that he could have done better with are limited to the second/third against Berwick (and the second can equally be attributed to Nicoll for the foul, and the defence for not following in), and the pass-back against Stranraer (and even then some people are still saying it was a knee-back). I really don't see how he could have done anything else for any of the other goals we've conceded in league and cup, even if he had been pointlessly flinging himself about the place. I think what we're really seeing is that even at this level, guys given a completely free shot at goal from less than 20 yards will generally hit the corner (I think Scott McLaughlin scored every single shot he took during the warm ups). When you play a top division side like Killie, a 'keeper will have no chance if subjected to that kind of shot. Our defence has given up an abnormal amount of free-shots from that area of the pitch, and inside the box, mainly from dropping too deep.

Obviously people have different opinions, some will rate him, others won't, but it helps no-one when people spout complete nonsense. I've seen someone claim he should have saved the first Elgin goal on Saturday; a shot from 16 yards that was fired in off the inside of the post. There is literally not a goalkeeper in the world who would have saved that.

If we sort out our defence, and particularly midfield, and stop retreating deep into our box to defend, then I think people will start thinking Currie is a decent 'keeper. And he won't be doing much different.

Agree 100% David, I am much less nervous with Currie in goals than Gibson, our loss of recent gameS is definitely not down to the keeper. Yes, I am sure he will feel that he is not at the top of his game just now, but that will come. All players at one time or another time will have a dip in form.

As we all universally agree our defensive problems are scattered throughout the team. Our midfield does not have a collective defensive bone in their body and while Ramsay is undoubtedly a technically good player at out level, he is not there to win the ball or spend 90 minutes tracking back etc . Miller is just in my opinion over rated and simply not good enough (Gus certainly sussed him at QP), Nicoll when in midfield; aye will go in for a 50 -50, but that is about it. He no longer has the mobility and gives the ball away far too often, finished. Flynn, well we can all see that he is either a poor player or has had a disastrous loss of form which he cannot regain, either way has to be taken out the team.

In many ways Chapman may have burned his current bridges with who has brought in as we don't have the finances to make whole sale changes, but even one proper midfield central midfield player who is either mobile or can take the ball and keep possession would make a whole world of difference. I am also not saying that a Centre Half and  Right back wouldn't help our cause but as we know we are skint, so I would imagine if we manage to sign someone it will be one player to help with the aforementioned issues.

I also assume we will be going with Belkacem on Saturday, no idea how that will go? Unless we appeal Currie's red under the double jeopardy rule? But as ever that is an interpretation for the ref and an unsuccessful appeal costs.

The red card would never be overturned. It’s only a yellow in the box now if it’s deemed as an accidental foul while trying to make a fair challenge for the ball, whereas Currie pretty much pushed the Elgin player over once the ball was past him. Had he dived along the ground, towards the ball and tripped the player on purpose he might have been lucky and got away with a yellow card.

Incidentally, though you can’t tell much just from training, but I think Belkacem looks decent during warm ups and wouldn’t worry much about him playing, other than the dodgy defence in front of him.

Archived