Elgin v Clyde

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A game that could have went either way but great comeback from City. It should not paper over the cracks though. We won't get above mid table without a striker.
Gordon,I respect your opinion but criticising Soapy the best centre mid in league imo, when he is playing centre forward, then left mid to accommodate others is a bit harsh. He did link play for second and make and score winner, not bad for a half fit player, out of position. JW needs to have the bottle to pick 2 of Reilly, JP or Soapy or play all 3 in centre with 3 at back.
Really impressed with young Strapp, best young player debut I have seen at BB in a long time. Agree that Sutherland is due a run.
Impressed with  Goodwillie looked really fit and sharp. Different wavelength to his teammates. He surely won't be at Clyde at the end of season even with his baggage.

Change the record pleeease

Chapman must start taking responsibility for this shambles now. He has played the same players in the same positions and the same mistakes happen time and again. We can all see the passengers that are dragging us down yet he seems to turn a blind eye. Sort it out. 

2 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

A game that could have went either way but great comeback from City. It should not paper over the cracks though. We won't get above mid table without a striker.

Gordon,I respect your opinion but criticising Soapy the best centre mid in league imo, when he is playing centre forward, then left mid to accommodate others is a bit harsh. He did link play for second and make and score winner, not bad for a half fit player, out of position. JW needs to have the bottle to pick 2 of Reilly, JP or Soapy or play all 3 in centre with 3 at back.

Really impressed with young Strapp, best young player debut I have seen at BB in a long time. Agree that Sutherland is due a run.

Impressed with  Goodwillie looked really fit and sharp. Different wavelength to his teammates. He surely won't be at Clyde at the end of season even with his baggage.

Why won't he be with us...he was available to every team in Britain yet we were the only team prepared to take a chance on him

Up until the second Elgin goal, I thought our defending was excellent. The 352 is a system that suits Home, Breslin and McNiff at the back. In the main, all three performed well today and not having Nicoll as part of that trio allowed us to step higher up the pitch. Stewart was faultless at both left wing-back and left back. The midfield trio of Miller, Ramsay and Flynn did a good job defensively, covering space and not leaving ourselves short of numbers, although Elgin rarely looked to exploit any space there may have been in front of our back three (they played a fairly standard 442, with Cameron not dropping deep as I'd have imagined, but almost being deployed as a target man. Clyde fans can moan about managers but playing the best midfielder in the league as a target man is one of the stupidest things in a long time). We countered well in the first half, with a goal stemming from Currie's excellent kickout, Osalodor's control and Cuddihy's excellent cross that Goodwillie swept into the net. Lead was doubled with a well hit long-ranger from Stewart that Waters really should have kept out. I was possibly a bit harsh in saying that Reid had a free shot for Elgin's first. He did well to get himself half a yard and his strike was superb, in off the far post. Clyde did have plenty of players back though.

The only clear, major error we made defensively came with substitutes lined up and ready to enter the pitch. For the first time, Elgin were able to quickly switch play from right to left and we were caught without anyone out wide, leaving Strapp in plenty of space. He put a great ball in that was converted at the back post. Frustrating, as I think it wouldn't have happened with the substitutes on the pitch.

After the equaliser we went to a back four and the same defensive frailties came out. Elgin created two terrific chances (a free header put over the bar by Allan, a one-on-one from Cameron well saved by Currie). We were open but created opportunities as well, with Breslin having a free shot from the edge of the box that he side-footed towards the corner with too much precision and not enough pace. The winner saw Breslin make a challenge but lose where the ball was under his feet. It got poked through and McNiff appeared to try and toe it back towards Currie, only to get almost nothing on it (I say appeared as Breslin was directly in my view). Currie didn't really have any choice, Cameron (perhaps due to having missed his earlier chance) decided to try and round him and would have had an open goal. In the end it was the right decision; the penalty was a poor one and went right underneath Belkacem.

The main negative for me today, and the main reason we lost in my opinion, was that after Elgin got back into the game, we didn't spend enough time in their half of the pitch. They showed in the first half, and the last 20 minutes, that their defending is not great. We had a backline under consistent, if not particularly dangerous pressure, which they looked like dealing with. For the first time this season, we struggled to consistently find Osalodor (who was anonymous today) and Goodwillie in the channels. Flynn's distribution was diabolical and Ramsay did very little in possession except one through-ball for Goodwillie that he missed one-on-one with Waters. We need to drop Flynn, get Cuddihy into midfield and play someone else at right wing-back (Bradley, Burbidge, Wright...no shortage of players who can do a job there). 

Referee probably gave us more of the 50-50s. Main contentious decision though was what looked from afar like a dreadful tackle by Cameron which resulted in a yellow. He was well off the ground when he jumped in, though again I'll admit I didn't see the actual contact. It was one of those that looked like a red card, though he may well have been nearer the ground when he actually made contact.

Well done Elgin. A selfish football fan wants their team to win, but I'll concede you were probably due a home win as much as we are due an away victory. Plus we did the same trick of coming from 2-0 down in our last meeting. McGovern a deserved man of the match, Strapp looked tidy but maybe overplayed at times. The poorest I've seen Reilly though, and Waters gets worse every time I see him. 

Finally, what was with the millions of feathers?

Bottling a 2-0 lead twice in a week really is a whole new level of shite hawkery.

Anyone that was there able to elaborate on the pen? Currie has certainly been far from impressive thus far, even before today.

Maybe Currie is constantly being left exposed by a dodgey defence it's certainly the case the games I've watched he's a top young GK

Up until the second Elgin goal, I thought our defending was excellent. The 352 is a system that suits Home, Breslin and McNiff at the back. In the main, all three performed well today and not having Nicoll as part of that trio allowed us to step higher up the pitch. Stewart was faultless at both left wing-back and left back. The midfield trio of Miller, Ramsay and Flynn did a good job defensively, covering space and not leaving ourselves short of numbers, although Elgin rarely looked to exploit any space there may have been in front of our back three (they played a fairly standard 442, with Cameron not dropping deep as I'd have imagined, but almost being deployed as a target man. Clyde fans can moan about managers but playing the best midfielder in the league as a target man is one of the stupidest things in a long time). We countered well in the first half, with a goal stemming from Currie's excellent kickout, Osalodor's control and Cuddihy's excellent cross that Goodwillie swept into the net. Lead was doubled with a well hit long-ranger from Stewart that Waters really should have kept out. I was possibly a bit harsh in saying that Reid had a free shot for Elgin's first. He did well to get himself half a yard and his strike was superb, in off the far post. Clyde did have plenty of players back though.
The only clear, major error we made defensively came with substitutes lined up and ready to enter the pitch. For the first time, Elgin were able to quickly switch play from right to left and we were caught without anyone out wide, leaving Strapp in plenty of space. He put a great ball in that was converted at the back post. Frustrating, as I think it wouldn't have happened with the substitutes on the pitch.
After the equaliser we went to a back four and the same defensive frailties came out. Elgin created two terrific chances (a free header put over the bar by Allan, a one-on-one from Cameron well saved by Currie). We were open but created opportunities as well, with Breslin having a free shot from the edge of the box that he side-footed towards the corner with too much precision and not enough pace. The winner saw Breslin make a challenge but lose where the ball was under his feet. It got poked through and McNiff appeared to try and toe it back towards Currie, only to get almost nothing on it (I say appeared as Breslin was directly in my view). Currie didn't really have any choice, Cameron (perhaps due to having missed his earlier chance) decided to try and round him and would have had an open goal. In the end it was the right decision; the penalty was a poor one and went right underneath Belkacem.
The main negative for me today, and the main reason we lost in my opinion, was that after Elgin got back into the game, we didn't spend enough time in their half of the pitch. They showed in the first half, and the last 20 minutes, that their defending is not great. We had a backline under consistent, if not particularly dangerous pressure, which they looked like dealing with. For the first time this season, we struggled to consistently find Osalodor (who was anonymous today) and Goodwillie in the channels. Flynn's distribution was diabolical and Ramsay did very little in possession except one through-ball for Goodwillie that he missed one-on-one with Waters. We need to drop Flynn, get Cuddihy into midfield and play someone else at right wing-back (Bradley, Burbidge, Wright...no shortage of players who can do a job there). 
Referee probably gave us more of the 50-50s. Main contentious decision though was what looked from afar like a dreadful tackle by Cameron which resulted in a yellow. He was well off the ground when he jumped in, though again I'll admit I didn't see the actual contact. It was one of those that looked like a red card, though he may well have been nearer the ground when he actually made contact.
Well done Elgin. A selfish football fan wants their team to win, but I'll concede you were probably due a home win as much as we are due an away victory. Plus we did the same trick of coming from 2-0 down in our last meeting. McGovern a deserved man of the match, Strapp looked tidy but maybe overplayed at times. The poorest I've seen Reilly though, and Waters gets worse every time I see him. 
Finally, what was with the millions of feathers?

Results driven business 1 win 3 losses 9 goals conceded in the last 4 games make any excuses you like doesn't look good

Just now, jc1 said:

Maybe Currie is constantly being left exposed by a dodgey defence it's certainly the case the games I've watched he's a top young GK

If we ignore the bizarre pass-back incident in midweek, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Currie. Most criticism seems to stem from the fact he didn't dive for a couple of shots that he was never going to save against Kilmarnock, or from some shots in the cup games/friendlies that he's parried outwards (ignoring that they've been parried into areas where there were no opposition). He's the best permanent goalkeeper we've had in this division, Alan Martin aside. He may not be the best goalie in the league, but he's in the conversation.

1 minute ago, cfcuk said:

Results driven business 1 win 3 losses 9 goals conceded in the last 4 games make any excuses you like doesn't look good

I agree. 5 games where we've lost the lead already is a terrible record. However, it's silly for people to claim that the manager doesn't know where we're going wrong, or that he's doing nothing to fix it. 

If we ignore the bizarre pass-back incident in midweek, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Currie. Most criticism seems to stem from the fact he didn't dive for a couple of shots that he was never going to save against Kilmarnock, or from some shots in the cup games/friendlies that he's parried outwards (ignoring that they've been parried into areas where there were no opposition). He's the best permanent goalkeeper we've had in this division, Alan Martin aside. He may not be the best goalie in the league, but he's in the conversation.

Strongly disagree with you. Who's better in the league?

I agree. 5 games where we've lost the lead already is a terrible record. However, it's silly for people to claim that the manager doesn't know where we're going wrong, or that he's doing nothing to fix it. 

So what's he done about us leaking goals?

Maybe Annan have centre half we could sign as his scouting network seems to extend no further than the galabank car park [emoji23]

Given that I've said he's in the conversation as the best 'keeper in the league, I'm not really sure how you are strongly disagreeing with me. I like Chris Smith, when he's not rotund. Greg Fleming's consistently played at a good level.

1 minute ago, cfcuk said:

So what's he done about us leaking goals?

Maybe Annan have centre half we could sign as his scouting network seems to extend no further than the galabank car park emoji23.png

If signing players is the only thing he can do to stop us conceding goals, then you are right, he hasn't done anything. I said when he was appointed that his signings seemed to focus on the same few sources when at Annan. There's clearly been plenty of work done on the training ground though; the movements today and on Tuesday of the midfield and defensive trios show that.

Annan's centre halves are somehow even worse than ours. It actually amazes me that he managed to win games with those three donkeys last season.

If signing players is the only thing he can do to stop us conceding goals, then you are right, he hasn't done anything. I said when he was appointed that his signings seemed to focus on the same few sources when at Annan. There's clearly been plenty of work done on the training ground though; the movements today and on Tuesday of the midfield and defensive trios show that.
Annan's centre halves are somehow even worse than ours. It actually amazes me that he managed to win games with those three donkeys last season.

Yet we were told he had fantastic contacts in the game well let's see what he comes up with in the next few weeks

5 hours ago, Am Muilleach said:

Stonewaller. 

Clyde were worth their lead in the first 30 minutes - and then reverted to Clyde of old - falling over, squealing, moaning to the ref and generally being raging about everything..Cost you the game.  Surprising really as in the first half you were ok.

Elgin did lift it in the second half and played some good stuff.  The young lad at left back - Strapp on loan from Morton was a stand out - great game young man.

Glad to hear Lewis Strapp had a good game, I really rate him and was surprised he was sent out on loan. Having said that, regular first team football is probably a good thing for him at his age. Hope he continues to do well for you.

Also nothing from the manager or anyone else about the game today; ok might not be an audio facility at the game but not even a brief statement on the OS giving the usual excuses if nothing else. No wonder we are all so frustraited yet again.

Thank God we got news of the Chairman got to meet Stevie Archiebald for a chat and got the two strips that some poor sucker will pay good money to the club...again!

Norrie, are you happy with our start to the new season? We are certainly not!

For someone so highly rated he spills the ball with alarming regularity. Doesn't sound like he was too much at fault today after all, but picking up the back pass (although not a clear cut one) cost us the game the other night. Early days but I find it hard to claim he is the best in the league at this stage.

Archived