Irvine Meadow 17/18

MeddaNewGuy

17 minutes ago, poity_uk said:

The elusive James F Delury book makes the very occasional appearance on eBay.  However, the last one I saw sold for £70.  On the other hand, I'm hoping to self-publish an edited and expanded collection of the historical articles I've been writing for the match programme over the last few years.  It will, however, be  a collection of stories rather than a complete history.  Ian King's meticulously researched history of the club must be more or less finished and a couple of us have been discussing self-publishing with him.

(*sings*) "Have a little patience"  

The stories from the program book sounds interesting from a neutral perspective. 

TBH some official histories are obviously labours of love but aren't so great to read as they can be a bit dry and stat-oriented. 

Be sure to let us know one way o the other if anything comes out because I'd be into reading it.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The elusive James F Delury book makes the very occasional appearance on eBay.  However, the last one I saw sold for £70.  On the other hand, I'm hoping to self-publish an edited and expanded collection of the historical articles I've been writing for the match programme over the last few years.  It will, however, be  a collection of stories rather than a complete history.  Ian King's meticulously researched history of the club must be more or less finished and a couple of us have been discussing self-publishing with him.
(*sings*) "Have a little patience"  

Sounds really good! Be great to have both out over next year or two.

4 hours ago, Shanner said:

The stories from the program book sounds interesting from a neutral perspective. 

TBH some official histories are obviously labours of love but aren't so great to read as they can be a bit dry and stat-oriented. 

Be sure to let us know one way o the other if anything comes out because I'd be into reading it.

I'll make a point of advertising it here!!! :-)

15 hours ago, Shanner said:

A wee bit more booky information for you, Shanner.  As far as I know, there have been four books/booklets published about junior football in Irvine:

"The History of Irvine Meadow XI F.C." by James F Delury (published around 1960)

"The Wee Vics" by Forbes D Brown (pub. 1997)

"The Legend of Vics & Meadow" by Lesley Hunter (pub 1986)

"Irvine Meadow XI FC Centenary Brochure" (pub 1997)

About a year or so ago, Vics were selling some second-hand copies of "The Vics" for £4 each.  It's a really good book, which I often use for research, and I now wish I had bought myself a spare copy.  Does anybody know if there are any left?

6 hours ago, poity_uk said:

A wee bit more booky information for you, Shanner.  As far as I know, there have been four books/booklets published about junior football in Irvine:

"The History of Irvine Meadow XI F.C." by James F Delury (published around 1960)

"The Wee Vics" by Forbes D Brown (pub. 1997)

"The Legend of Vics & Meadow" by Lesley Hunter (pub 1986)

"Irvine Meadow XI FC Centenary Brochure" (pub 1997)

About a year or so ago, Vics were selling some second-hand copies of "The Vics" for £4 each.  It's a really good book, which I often use for research, and I now wish I had bought myself a spare copy.  Does anybody know if there are any left?

cheers for your answers on the thread mate, very interesting and very informative.

I'll keep an eye out on e-bay for these as I'm going through a wee spell of trying to pick up Junior books so if you or anyone knows of any good ones I'd love some recommendations. 

What was your thoughts on the game?
I thought it was a pretty even game but we did miss the better chances

Yeah both teams could have scored 2 or 3 goals easily with better finishing and both keepers done well too. You guys did miss a few guilt edged chances especially in second half. A draw probably a fair result on the day.

Archived