Irvine Meadow 17/18

MeddaNewGuy

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pot and Kettle, don't you think given your club's historical backing. How many Glasgow based sponsors did your club benefit from when Rankin was in charge?

T

Don't think any of the sponsors were related to another club though. What an absolute riddy.

5 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

Don't think any of the sponsors were related to another club though. What an absolute riddy.

Eh? Who's got a riddy.

The Louden is a well known rangers supporters haunt, so what. It's a pub! In the same way as the Irvine No1 Celtic Club, and we all know about that relationship with your mob when Chris was in charge.

Keep posting the videos, as we're getting the money and you're doing all the publicity work for us.:thumsup2

T

7 minutes ago, Shanner said:

See for the uninitiated among us, what is this Irvine Celtic patter about? 

Had never heard of this until this thread.

The Dodgers took over the park where they play when Irvine Celtic folded back in the day.   Meadow XI was the Phoenix that rose from the ashes.;)

The Dodgers took over the park where they play when Irvine Celtic folded back in the day.   Meadow XI was the Phoenix that rose from the ashes.[emoji6]

From our website, excellent information on this courtesy of supporters Ian King and Gordon McCreath if you want correct information.

http://www.irvinemeadowfc.co.uk/meadow-history-page

The mention of junior football in Irvine conjures up thoughts of Irvine Meadow XI, Irvine Victoria, cross-river rivalries and annual Marymass derbies. But in the days before the Meadow and the Vics were founded there was a varied bunch of junior clubs in the town. Irvine Eglinton, Irvine Roslin, Irvine Caledonia, Vale of Clyde and Irvine Celtic all had relatively short life spans of just a few years. Irvine Celtic, incidentally, were the inhabitants of Meadow Park and it was there that a newly formed juvenile club began playing, taking on the ground name as the club name. The fledgling Irvine Meadow XI, sometimes mistakenly called Irvine Celtic Meadow XI in the local press at the time, began to make a name for them selves, but it was to be another two years before they moved up to the junior grade in 1897. 

Where there was an Irvine Celtic, it was perhaps inevitable that there should be an Irvine Rangers, too. Irvine Rangers had originally formed in 1890 as a juvenile club, but later became juniors. The club had a nomadic existence, playing home matches on Irvine Moor then, as juniors, moving to Quarry Road, then moving again to a pitch just behind Bank Street, which later became a greyhound racing track. The club’s most successful season was 1892-93 when they became the first Irvine junior club to win the Ayrshire Cup. They also won the Irvine & District Cup that season. But it was hard to keep the club going due to the heavy unemployment in the area and eventually they closed down due to dwindling support in 1895. 

That same year, some young lads from the Quarry Road area of the town formed Meadow XI as a juvenile club. They successfully asked Irvine Celtic for the use of Meadow Park and its pavilion when Irvine Celtic were not playing at home. The new club’s first ever game was a 2-1 defeat at home against Overton Thistle 2nd XI and after a few more disappointing results, they finally settled into a better organised manner of playing and began to win matches regularly. Then in December 1895, Irvine Celtic, who had been struggling for some time, decided to close down, leaving Meadow XI as sole occupants, though not owners, of Meadow Park. 

In that first season there was no juvenile league and the club had to make do with cup matches and friendlies. In 1896-97, however, an Irvine & District League was formed and Meadow XI went from strength to strength, finishing the season unbeaten, with 28 wins and 2 draws. As well as winning the League, they won the Ayrshire Juvenile Cup, beating Hurlford Star 2-1 in a final played at Cochrane Park in Irvine. They also won the Irvine and District Cup, beating Irvine Winton in the first round and eventually defeating Kilmarnock Roslyn in the final.

After the success of that season it was no great surprise that the club’s officials decided to step up to a higher grade of football. As a result Irvine Meadow XI became Juniors for season 1897-98. It was decided to change the club colours from light blue to royal blue and the club we now know set forth on a new adventure.

Eh? Who's got a riddy.
The Louden is a well known rangers supporters haunt, so what. It's a pub! In the same way as the Irvine No1 Celtic Club, and we all know about that relationship with your mob when Chris was in charge.
Keep posting the videos, as we're getting the money and you're doing all the publicity work for us.:thumsup2
T

As a self confessed Celtic fan, you must feel conflicted supporting a team with a big f**k-off Rangers badge on their shirt [emoji28]

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

You had to go and ask, didn't you Shanner!

I thought the 17 word first sentence of my post, would have been enough to cover it for Shanner without being controversial?  However it seems you need to have  an A4 sheet of paper and a thesaurus for it to be factual.:whistle

1 hour ago, .Stuart. said:

As a self confessed Celtic fan, you must feel conflicted supporting a team with a big f**k-off Rangers badge on their shirt emoji28.png

Well as you all know me from your own drivel, sorry message board, as Westendbhoy, the clue's there in the moniker, ;)however lets keep it factual, it a big f**k-off Louden Tavern badge on the shirt, with a even larger f**k off advertising board on the side of the pavilion.:thumsup2

T

PS, are you going to give me a response to my point about your association with the Irvine No1 Celtic Club, when Mr Strain was in charge, since you lot keep bringing up the OF connection? Didn't you just love seeing the photos every week in the paper at the time with your trophies on display and players signing for you holding a photo-call there.:P

Exactly GIRFUY:shutup

6 hours ago, Shannon said:

From our website, excellent information on this courtesy of supporters Ian King and Gordon McCreath if you want correct information.

Is that not what I said below? Perfect 17 word summary to what was asked.The second part of my post was to get a few bites, but didn't expect a rainforest to be decimated when soliciting a response from one of you lot!

7 hours ago, tombo said:

The Dodgers took over the park where they play when Irvine Celtic folded back in the day

Well as you all know me from your own drivel, sorry message board, as Westendbhoy, the clue's there in the moniker, [emoji6]however lets keep it factual, it a big f**k-off Louden Tavern badge on the shirt, with a even larger f**k off advertising board on the side of the pavilion.:thumsup2
T

PS, are you going to give me a response to my point about your association with the Irvine No1 Celtic Club, when Mr Strain was in charge, since you lot keep bringing up the OF connection? Didn't you just love seeing the photos every week in the paper at the time with your trophies on display and players signing for you holding a photo-call there.[emoji14]
Exactly GIRFUY:shutup

There wasn't an official connection I don't think. Strain is a celtic fan and drank in there sometimes. Not a big deal and no celtic/rangers badges on shirts [emoji5]

When I wrote the account of Meadow's early years which Shannon included in his comment a few posts ago, I said that Meadow, a juvenile club at the time, were "sometimes mistakenly called Irvine Celtic Meadow XI in the local press at the time."   I'm not so sure now that the press was mistaken.    In fact, it probably wasn't.

2 hours ago, tombo said:

I thought the 17 word first sentence of my post, would have been enough to cover it for Shanner without being controversial?  However it seems you need to have  an A4 sheet of paper and a thesaurus for it to be factual.:whistle

feeling unappreciated?

I'll give you some pity green dots.

23 minutes ago, Shanner said:

last annoying question for the time being- is there a Meadow history book that can be purchased?

In Ye Olde Book Shop in History of Irvine Celtic Meadow XI section.:blink:

Sorry Shanner couldn't resist, but if you PM PoiTy he will see you alright. 

T

40 minutes ago, Shanner said:

last annoying question for the time being- is there a Meadow history book that can be purchased?

The elusive James F Delury book makes the very occasional appearance on eBay.  However, the last one I saw sold for £70.  On the other hand, I'm hoping to self-publish an edited and expanded collection of the historical articles I've been writing for the match programme over the last few years.  It will, however, be  a collection of stories rather than a complete history.  Ian King's meticulously researched history of the club must be more or less finished and a couple of us have been discussing self-publishing with him.

(*sings*) "Have a little patience"  

Archived