The astonishingly bad song thread

tongue_tied_danny

22 hours ago, Al B said:

I just have to jump in here from reading through this thread.

I get the general point you guys are making, but that's an absolutely terrible example to pick in order to illustrate it. By that I mean, you've picked one of the most highly respected, admired and influential guitar players and songwriters alive, generally considered to have very few peers in guitar, playing a song that is a key track from an album that sold obscene amounts of copies, that has influenced countless successful guitar players to even pick up the instrument in the first place. A song that moved Brian May to put out a near-10 minute video analysing and talking about the brilliance of it.

I absolutely 100% get anyone who doesn't like it or has no interest in it at all, but appearing in this topic is like mentioning Pryor/Connolly/Chappelle/Hicks in an "Astonishingly bad comedian" thread.

Also on a separate point, it's always annoyed me when people criticize Friday by Rebecca Black in things like this, and also the stick it got at the time. It wasn't a singer putting out a single, It's literally a parent who has bought her daughter a "come to a studio and record your own song" experience for her birthday, and then the company put it up on youtube so you can say to your pals "hey i've got a song", except that particular one went viral. It would be like someone getting their 15 year old kid a track day experience at Knockhill for your birthday and then the world hating them for thinking they were a rally driver.

Finally, the songs on this thread by BrokenCyde and Attack Attack may be close to the worst things i've ever heard.

Sir, I'm afraid I cannot in good faith back you up on Extreme. They were atrocious. But Rebecca Black? f**k yeah. Awesome tune.

Back in the heady 2000s Britney Spears married Kevin Federline, one of her backup dancers.  As a result of this union, K-Fed, as he was known, managed to release a couple of songs.  They are not good.  In fact, they are bad.

Highlight of this one being the lyric "I just want to see some titty, or a little bit of kitty"

This is a self-justification song, it's hard to take someone trying the braggadocio of rap when he's bragging about spending hsi mentally ill wife's money

Also, soap actors releasing singles was a big trend in the 1990s and Eastenders star Sean Maguire had a string of pop hits.  However, Sean decided to develop his sound and in 1997 went on a Britpop direction.

I'm sure there's a few other pop stars who tried to go all 'Parklife' around the same time.