The astonishingly bad song thread

tongue_tied_danny

Nothing agitated me and made me want to pan the radio in quite like Stevie Wonder's, I just called to say I love you. I mean, it was even worse than Grandma we love you, or anything by Twin Atlantic.

That’s just nonsense.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Radio 3 Documentary on “Bad Music”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09hrpd5

It argues amongst other things that if music is to objectively bad as opposed to just not to our taste it had to actually fail to do what it’s attempting to.

The ‘90s genre of “Funk Metal” produced a lot of stuff that was genuinely bad in this way. Combining the dark heaviness of KC and the Sunshine band with the cool funkiness of Slayer

Exhibit A: Get the funk out by Extreme

https://youtu.be/IqP76XWHQI0

19 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Radio 3 Documentary on “Bad Music”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09hrpd5

It argues amongst other things that if music is to objectively bad as opposed to just not to our taste it had to actually fail to do what it’s attempting to.

The ‘90s genre of “Funk Metal” produced a lot of stuff that was genuinely bad in this way. Combining the dark heaviness of KC and the Sunshine band with the cool funkiness of Slayer

Exhibit A: Get the funk out by Extreme

https://youtu.be/IqP76XWHQI0

That might have funk in the title but it is neither funk nor metal. It's simply overblown 80s hair rock and absolutely no different to any number of overblown 80s hair rock bands.

Funk metal would be more along these lines:

And Rage Against The Machine weren't bad at all.

If you're talking truly terrible metal then it has to be Fred Durst's lot.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

That might have funk in the title but it is neither funk nor metal. It's simply overblown 80s hair rock and absolutely no different to any number of overblown 80s hair rock bands.

Funk metal would be more along these lines:
And Rage Against The Machine weren't bad at all.
If you're talking truly terrible metal then it has to be Fred Durst's lot.

I wasn’t saying that good funk metal didn’t exist. RATM were awesome and if you haven’t checked out Prophets of Rage (their collaboration with Chuck D of Public Enemy) then you should

I just meant that when it was bad it was worse than bad Funk or bad metal because it failed twice.

Anyway

I think I’m on safer ground with German Sparkle Party by the Something Experience

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2019 at 16:47, tongue_tied_danny said:

Now this is beyond shite. The audience are looking at each other and shaking their heads....

Not sure a TOTP audience is a great gauge of taste.

Not sure a TOTP audience is a great gauge of taste.

The maverick genius of John Otway is not going to be everybody’s thing. And some of his weirder shit isn’t going to be anybody’s thing.

Personally I prefer “Beware Of The Flowers ('Cos I'm Sure They're Going To Get You Yeah!)”

• 6 months later...

I met my mate for a drink last week, thinking we were going to a pub. Turns out it was a gig with death metal bands playing. 

Inaudible lyrics being shouted - check.

Instruments being played to sound like gunfire/a bombing raid - check.

Clichéd to f**k hand actions, dress sense and band names - check.

What a load of shite - check!

Edited by sjc