The astonishingly bad song thread

tongue_tied_danny

I would like to nominate the cover version of "Walking In The Air" by Frightened Rabbit, but common consensus on this forum would have me chased out of town with pitchforks and flaming torches. So, on a similar tip, I think this should be added to this fine tome of shit music. Even posting this here makes me feel dirty. I'm off for a good scrub.

I forgot about Athlete.  They are/were fucking brutal.  As mentioned, the 'Indie Landfill' era of around 2005-2010 was shocking.  A lot more shite than good was getting made then.

I'm going to choose to believe Jimi isn't saying bad things about the Frightened Rabbit version of the Whole of the Moon. 

I really loved Athlete when their second album came out. It was ages before I found Vehicles and Animals on sale anywhere and when I got and listen to it I was surprised by how bad it was. It (and they) still don't really sound like regular indie landfill stuff to me, that album didn't have anywhere near enough energy in it to compare to that stuff. By their third album they almost threatened to be interesting with the opening instrumental track but that was it:

Anyway, I'm watching TRNSMT highlights and Sports Team were on. Holy f**k. This is worse than indie landfill and it's popular over a decade after that stopped being a thing. How is this possible?

14 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm going to choose to believe Jimi isn't saying bad things about the Frightened Rabbit version of the Whole of the Moon. 

I really loved Athlete when their second album came out. It was ages before I found Vehicles and Animals on sale anywhere and when I got and listen to it I was surprised by how bad it was. It (and they) still don't really sound like regular indie landfill stuff to me, that album didn't have anywhere near enough energy in it to compare to that stuff. By their third album they almost threatened to be interesting with the opening instrumental track but that was it:

Anyway, I'm watching TRNSMT highlights and Sports Team were on. Holy f**k. This is worse than indie landfill and it's popular over a decade after that stopped being a thing. How is this possible?

Shit! Did they cover that as well? Mmm...let's just leave that one there. Sports Team eh? Arguably the worst band in all of these glorious 19 pages. They make Athlete sound like Joy Division. I mean really, what the f**k does the singer think he is doing? I posted a video of them on this very thread a few pages back which I would urge you to watch. Only once mind. It called "Here's The Thing". I just cannot believe it's real. I  can only assume they got signed as a bet?

2 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Shit! Did they cover that as well? Mmm...let's just leave that one there. Sports Team eh? Arguably the worst band in all of these glorious 19 pages. They make Athlete sound like Joy Division. I mean really, what the f**k does the singer think he is doing? I posted a video of them on this very thread a few pages back which I would urge you to watch. Only once mind. It called "Here's The Thing". I just cannot believe it's real. I  can only assume they got signed as a bet?

That's what was played. It's worse live when you see people enjoying it.

20 years ago, this track was number one in the UK singles chart...

I first heard it on the same day that Scotland were defeated by Belgium in Brussels to end our World Cup 2002 qualification hopes.

A few days later I met up with a couple of mates at the Montrose game, who were just back from Brussels, who informed me that the Tartan Army spent the entire journey singing this ditty. 

Later that night I was walking through Dundee city centre just as the nightclubs were closing. It seemed like every drunk person emerging from the Mardi Gras or De Ja Vu was now belting this out at the top of their lungs. 

A truly horrific tune that was everywhere for a brief period.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2021 at 21:10, Jimi Shandrix said:

More landfill bollocks. It's a wonder they didn't just stop all music after this. What a fucking c**t.

That's really annoying when you get that big "video unavailable" popping up. Well, I'm sorry Jamie T you little c**t, but you're not getting out of this so easily. You deserve to be in here more than most. w****r.

11 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If we're doing indie landfill then it's worth posting this list again: The Top 50 Greatest Landfill Indie Songs of All Time (vice.com)

There's a Johnny Borrell interview where he points out that Dakota and Sex on Fire have the exact same structure. If we're dating the end of the indie landfill era I'm putting it at Sex on Fire going number one.

I remember from ~2005-2010 when I was a teenager and discovering the music I liked, music channels on TV (well, freeview) were a big part of that. It might have been the era of indie landfill and there might have been some shite but it formed the basis of what I like now, and in the years that followed I've expanded and reached out beyond that and, for the most part, have determined the sort of music I like and the sort of new music I'd be interested in.

I found this on 4music last night:

6.5 million views in a month. I don't know how I'd listen to music if I was young nowadays, because I definitely wouldn't listen to this.

So, let me get this straight. You wanted a child and your husband is firing blanks. So you picked up a random hitchhiker and shagged him repeatedly over the course of a whole night. Then, years later, the man recognises you and a child which is obviously his and you tell him he is to have nothing to do with his offspring.

Jeezo, the only thing that could make your conduct any worse would be to write an astonishingly bad song about it…

Edited by Funky Nosejob