The astonishingly bad song thread

tongue_tied_danny

The band had been called Cinema when they started recording with Squire and Rabin on vocals - it immediately became Yes when Anderson added his vox.
There is a demo of Rabin singing an early version of 'Owner', but it's very different, and not great.
Rabin is a talented writer and performer, but his production tastes take things into Mutt Lange territory - when he was given full control to produce, as he was on the Yes album 'Talk', the results were turgid. 

Every day’s a school day

8 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Every day’s a school day

It's not just the vocals it's the building pre chorus that apparently got cut and the big dumb guitar behind the main chorus. 

It's fine when Bon Jovi, Bachman Turner Overdrive or AC/DC do it but seems out of place here. 

And crucially the final version has more cowbell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great thread and some absolute stinkers - Bobby Conn the massive exception, a brilliant song (particularly the proper lyrics) and magic video.

Didn’t notice this imposter anywhere. Truly dreadful song writer and lyricist. Easy on the eye but awful.

I’m sure she’s likely had worse than this one but I couldn’t believe how sh1t this was when it came out, heard it on the radio recently and my god it’s even worse than I remember.

Edited by Tattie36

• 2 weeks later...

This one is odd. On one level it’s an out and thread closing winner but because they clearly set out to make a terrible song on purpose it’s actually a highly successful piece of conceptal art on its own terms which would make it good

[/url]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Unwanted_Song

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Probably earlier, thinking about it. It's hard to remember who was doing a terrible job of ripping off the people doing it right, and who just really liked Morris Minor and the Majors.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Probably earlier, thinking about it. It's hard to remember who was doing a terrible job of ripping off the people doing it right, and who just really liked Morris Minor and the Majors.

That was 1987. 1997 was the debut single by "Puff Daddy"

If we split the difference and go for 1992 was when Terminator X left public enemy to go and farm ostriches. Which is about as good a milestone as any

Ever since I started listening to music I've bought CDs rather than downloading or streaming. I still have all of them. There's some utter, utter shite that I'd never listen to now and that I'm quite embarrassed by, but I feel as if my collection is a complete snapshot of my life and I don't really want to lose parts of that. Recently I had the idea of starting at the beginning and going through them alphabetically. And sharing the shite with you.

After hearing their only real hit, Wires, on a Now! CD I remember loving the Athlete album that song was on. Their third album was great and had some stuff on it that's almost interesting even now. I remember it took ages for me to ever find their first album in a shop and being wildly excited when I did. It wasn't good then, it's not good now.

Listening to this album gave me the idea for doing this in this thread, and I genuinely couldn't pick which of the twelve songs to post. Chorus!