The astonishingly bad song thread

tongue_tied_danny

48 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Ever wanted to hear a rap battle between Korn's Jonathan Davis & Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst? Nope me neither. Nu metal was a mistake.

A horrible tune and a horrible era for heavy music. I can’t even bring myself to put it in any ‘metal’ bracket as it really isn’t. I’ve always thought of it as ‘fake-heavy’ because it’s just a lot of downtuned guitars and effects pedals. Liked some Korn or LB  stuff at the time but couldn’t listen to an album-full of that shit then, and definitely not now. 
In saying that, I’ve seen both bands live and thoroughly enjoyed both.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this on an advert for Battersea cats and dogs. Fucking horrified. Made me want to kill cats and dogs. I don't mind cats and dogs either. Had to look it up. Thought it would be Dua Lipa.  But no it was Jess Glynne. They both have that same injured animal delivery. So maybe a good choice for Battersea. Can you believe this turd was a number one single?

On 10/07/2020 at 21:35, Jimi Shandrix said:

Is it the dad dancing?  Is it the fact that the song goes nowhere?  I actually saw those guys play, and it was strangely hypnotic.  The best bit is when he punches himself.  The worst bit is when he goes all Tom Waits for no apparent reason. 

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Is it the dad dancing?  Is it the fact that the song goes nowhere?  I actually saw those guys play, and it was strangely hypnotic.  The best bit is when he punches himself.  The worst bit is when he goes all Tom Waits for no apparent reason. 

It's a combination of many things. The one out of ten I would give this is probably for the dancing. Kudos to Sammy for not giving a f**k. The growling is bad. The song is just a big bag of nothing. More than anything else, I think this song is the perfect example of how vapid a large proportion American alternative music has become in the last 10 years at least. I'm also looking at you Arcade Fire, Beach House, Modest Mouse. On the plus point, I can definitely see how the best bit is where he punches himself.

4 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

It's a combination of many things. The one out of ten I would give this is probably for the dancing. Kudos to Sammy for not giving a f**k. The growling is bad. The song is just a big bag of nothing. More than anything else, I think this song is the perfect example of how vapid a large proportion American alternative music has become in the last 10 years at least. I'm also looking at you Arcade Fire, Beach House, Modest Mouse. On the plus point, I can definitely see how the best bit is where he punches himself.

Jonny Marr-era Modest Mouse were great, even if he was only in the band to be Isaac Brock’s guardian angel.

22 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I'm maybe being a bit unfair on a continent that continues to give us great records by Yo La Tengo, Parquet Courts and Bill Callahan. They still have a better strike rate than we do over here. But they have in the last few years given us their own version of Elbow with the interminably dull The National and also the frankly horrendous War On Drugs. Compared to those two, give me growling Sammy anyday. 

13 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I lasted 32 seconds before switching that off. Arse puckering in the extreme.

It’s like an even worse version of Eddie Vedder singing for an even worse version of Nickleback, with lyrics by an even worse version of Taylor Swift.  Genuinely awful.

On 24/07/2020 at 23:32, GNU_Linux said:

More angsty late 90s/early 00's stuff except mum & dad approve of it

They have a couple of decent tunes tbf. That’s probably their biggest hit but for me it’s also probably their worst. 

23 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s like an even worse version of Eddie Vedder singing for an even worse version of Nickleback, with lyrics by an even worse version of Taylor Swift.  Genuinely awful.

‘Yarling’ I believe is the name given to that Eddie Vedder/Scott Stapp vocal style.