Motherwell vs Ross County

Much improved second half performance and well done to Robinson for the double substitution which changed the game. Bowman made a huge difference in the second half and all of a sudden we were actually carrying a threat in attack.
Not the best performance by any means but a huge win and three points which we badly needed AND a clean sheet into the bargain. I'll take that any day of the week thank you very much.

As much as it pains me to say it, I completely agree.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/08/2017 at 12:53, Casagolda said:

Call me crazy, for some reason I strongly fancy us to win this one. 

Never in doubt.

Well apart from the first 45 mins which was soul destroying. Never strung two passs together and were miles off the pace, absolute shambles. No idea what formation we were supposed to be playing and I'm not sure half he players did either.

Fair play to Robinson though, change of shape to 3 at the back with the 2 subs at half time worked a treat in the 2nd half. Much better tempo and purpose to our play both with and without the ball. Campbell gave us some dig and energy in the middle of the park and Bowman was a terrific foil for Moult up top who had been isolated first half. 

Rotten first half but a much improved second, lots to work on going forward but you can't argue with 3 points and a clean sheet. 

One of the worst 45 mins of football in living memory today - we completely forgot that your actually allowed to pass the ball - the only bright spot was that we didn't ship our customary shite goal during the period that County had most of the possession. 

Robinson is still early in his tenure as manager and has much to prove but he has changed more games with good substitutions than McGhee, Barraclough or McCall managed to between them. He seems to be able to accept that he's got it wrong or that players are having a 'mare and make changes early. Both Campbell and Bowman had a huge influence on the game when they came on. It seems like Bowman/Moult is a better combo than Fisher/Moult and I think we've learned that Campbell should be a certain starter if McHugh is unavailable.

Cedric will (rightly) get a lot of plaudits but I actually thought Hennegan was slightly the better of the two, especially as he was booked so early.

Good to be off the mark and in truth, being on 3 points after our opening 3 games was where most of us would have expected us to be...

Ross County will be disappointed not to have put that game away in the first half because we were absolutely woeful.  Griffiths pulled off a couple of saves but they haven't threatened us too often and their attack lacked an edge.

Second half Robinson has made changes that has turned the game - Allan Campbell comes on and all of a sudden we actually have a working midfield.  Bowman isn't the greatest but at least he puts some effort in, something Fisher hasn't looked like doing.

The events of the game went for us today.  Ross County didn't capitalize on their dominance, they have missed an excellent chance in the second half, conceded against the run of play, lost a couple of players to injury, given away a penalty and got a red card. 

Overall we will need to improve a lot but today was about getting 3 points on the board.  Now as much as Robinson got the changes right at half time he now has to have a serious look at the formation, tactics and team line out he sent out at 3pm.

The biggest disappointment of today was that Moult didn't play Cedric in through the middle - would have *loved* to see him bearing down on the County keeper [emoji4]

I have a feeling the boxes in the cooper stand may have needed some new glass if that had happened.

Credit to Robinson for the changes today at half time as it was almost an admittance he had got it wrong in the first half - something his predecessor would not have done until it was too late.

Thought Campbell was superb when he came on as was the geordie ribery who occupied the defence when he came on.

Also what a difference when cadden is moved out to the wing rather than through the middle.

Van der weg must hate fir park as he must still be having nightmares about cadden in the 4-1 game from last season.

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Thought Van Der Wegg was unlucky to see red. Looked like he made a genuine attempt to play the ball but after getting several unjustified red cards I'll take it.

Looked like a genuine trip on the wrong side of the attacker to me - his positioning was woeful and deserved what he got.

It looked accidental to me, just got his position all wrong and clipped the lad. Should never have been beaten to the ball in the first place.

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

Jimbo has said in the press a few times this season that he sees Kenny as more of a centre-back than a left-back.

Really?

He seems to save his worst for Motherwell, but that pause after Moult goes is excruciating.

Honestly, I don't think he does a heck of a lot wrong there.  

Archived