Motherwell vs Ross County

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Like most players at our level McHugh seems to be pretty inconsistent.  He can certainly turn it on and look a great player, other times he's nowhere to be seen.  He's also prone to heads gone moments like we saw on Saturday and a few times last season, including that head bash that put him out for 6 months.

I've been labelled Mr Misery by some this season but I can only comment on what I see.  In the games I've seen we have been very, very sloppy.  You can get away with that against Berwick Rangers and Queens Park but you can't in the top division.

We won't go out and be completely dominated but there are too many things wrong at the moment. 

Our final ball is very, very poor.  Our forward play is bland and our finishing hasn't been good enough.  For all the promise that Bigirimana and McHugh have they haven't done it yet against the big boys, at least in the league, I wasn't up at Dingwall for the league cup.  But our biggest problem remains unchanged from last season.  Any decent team will score at least two against us and that is untenable over a season.

We must improve up top and especially defensively and we have to start on Saturday because although football is a strange game, in all likelihood we aren't getting anything at Easter Road next week and 0 out of 4 is the kind of start many teams, not all, but many teams, don't recover from.

I'm not too down about the suspensions and injuries, no doubt McHugh is a loss but it perhaps gives other players outwith Robinson's core 13, 14 players to come in and I'm very keen to get young players playing whether it be Campbell, MacLean or others.

You do know we aren't at Easter Road until September 16th after Ross County we have Hearts coming to Fir Park next week which was changed from Tynecastle since their stand isn't yet

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

You do know we aren't at Easter Road until September 16th after Ross County we have Hearts coming to Fir Park next week which was changed from Tynecastle since their stand isn't yet

That's disappointing because I was actually looking forward to going back to Easter Road even though we will probably get cuffed.  I also want to see Motherwell play at Murrayfield against Hearts but that's not going to happen either.

Yeah, the Murrayfield chat for them came after we had agreed to play them at Fir Park and reversed the fixtures round, I'd have liked to have seen it at Murrayfield as well.   Just had a look there and we have 5 of the next 6 games at Fir Park so vitally important we start picking up points.

The guy who does the Facebook live just came up with the stat that County have never failed to score against us since they came up.

Don't see that changing as we don't seem to have a clean sheet in us.

Eta..

04e43785e480c8f7c52b9ac24b6aecba.jpg

Dreadful stuff so far and we're fortunate that County's final ball is as bad as ours otherwise we would be a couple of goals down. Griffiths made a good stop from what was the only shot on target from either side but apart from that this has been a non spectacle.

We really, really need to improve our ball retention or we won't be winning many points this season.

Much improved second half performance and well done to Robinson for the double substitution which changed the game. Bowman made a huge difference in the second half and all of a sudden we were actually carrying a threat in attack.

Not the best performance by any means but a huge win and three points which we badly needed AND a clean sheet into the bargain. I'll take that any day of the week thank you very much.

We've played better in the last two games and lost so we've got to be happy with the three points.
Fair play to Robinson as well,he definitely isn't from the McGhee 0-1 down 85th minute sub school.

First half was a complete shambles. No idea what we were trying to do, we had one shot and one cross in 45 minutes. Must have changed formation 4 or 5 times.

2nd half totally different, started pushing the play down the right wing with Cadden and Campbell controlled the possession in the middle. Big Bowman stayed put in the middle and gave us some structure. County barely threatened at all after the break.

So well done to Robbo for making the changes but that starting line up should never have been on the park.

The guy who does the Facebook live just came up with the stat that County have never failed to score against us since they came up.
Don't see that changing as we don't seem to have a clean sheet in us.

This definitely wasn't true btw, even before today. Off the top of my head we drew 0-0 in Dingwall in Ross County's first game up and beat them 2-0 at home that same season.

(I'm a pedantic dick)

Things looked just dandy at half-time. County's 352 shape was causing Motherwell problems. Curran was having a stormer against the centre backs after Heneghan's early yellow and Routis kept bursting past Motherwell's holding midfielders.  County's wing backs were continually played behind Motherwell's back four but the final ball never connected. Moult was cut off from the game and the players supporting him were barely involved with some sloppy passing in midfield.

Motherwell changed to 352 in the second half - the two teams matched up and looked very even... until Davies fresh-aired a clearance from a tame cross to gift Tait a goal at the far post. County didn't look like breaking Motherwell down from that point apart from Schalk blazing over from a one on one.

Then with Davies going off it meant Van der Weg was the senior defender.  VdW got caught so badly out of position he had to take Moult down for a pen and a red card.  Game over.  

After scoring with their first proper chance of the match, Motherwell ended up being profligate with opportunities to really carve County up on the counter.  I didn't think Motherwell played well at all as a team until the red card, but Tait played very well in the second half after the switch to left wing back and Campbell was impressive.

After looking like everything was fine, the match ended up showing the weaknesses to Jimbo's transfer policy. Relying on one injury prone defender to stay fit and lead the defence, no out and out wingers or pace in the team beyond Schalk, little creativity beyond O'Brien.  It could be a long season if Davies is out for any length of time.

This definitely wasn't true btw, even before today. Off the top of my head we drew 0-0 in Dingwall in Ross County's first game up and beat them 2-0 at home that same season.

(I'm a pedantic dick)

Its me that's a dick.
16 consecutive games and scored every game since their first season up.

Doesn't matter now though.

Archived