Pars v Arbroath - Return of the Dick

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some baffling calls from the officials tonight, ref/Lino waiting on each other to make the call on numberous occasions.

Happy with the way we played second half especially against a FT team. was fearing the worst at HT. unlucky not to have scored in the end.

It was a strange game but then we were playing a virtual second XI with only Murdoch and Morris nailed on to start v Falkirk. I thought Arbroath were decent enough in spells and even when you had 10 men you had a go and tried to get back into it. You had one good free kick that hit the bar and a few other half chances. Both teams lost the plot after the subs were made - A few bad challenges by both sides, a fantastic bit of dissent by someone (don't know which Arbroath player as it was at the far end) who went properly mental at the linesman (at 2-0 down, with 10 men, with 5 minutes to go. In the Challenge Cup) and then Connor Duthie went and got sent off too. Bizarre.

The red for Arbroath was unlucky. Hopkirk did well to get in front of the defender, then it's just a bit of a tangle. If it's deemed a foul, the ref has to send him off. It's a tough call for the officials really.

It's not a tough call at all.   That tangle was never a sending-off.  We expect the officials to apply a modicum of common sense as opposed to merely strict enforcement of rules - since so much is subjective.  To unbalance the game which is already a bit of a waste of time with such a poor decision confirms the abject officiating which seems to be the norm (and as for the linesman).   And of course consistency usually helps so I saw no difference later in the second half, in exactly the same position when an Arbroath forward (think it was Prunty) was brought down but the offending Pars player was not even accorded a yellow.

Overall, we did better second half with 10 and created a fair number of chances.   Not a bad training session all in all but we need to be hitting the net more regularly.  Thought Yule, OBrien, Swankie and Denholm showed up well.   Bobby L seems to be a bit off the pace at the moment, and the final ball is not great - maybe worth starting Omar.

I thought we were terrific in the 2nd half. Defended well and had a few decent efforts on goal. Doris works tirelessly every single game, Denholm showed glimpses of class, Swankie had a really good 2nd half. If I had to pick a man of the match for us it was with TOB or Yule. If Ricky is suspended on Saturday then expect Yule to partner TOB in the heart of the defence

Can't have any real complaints with the way the team played, just didn't take our chances when we had them, and obviously having Ricky sent off didn't help. Maybe could have given Pars more of a game if he'd stayed on. Defence was fantastic tonight though, TOB especially was immense.

While I'm fully supportive of the Arbroath fans getting upbeat about their performance, worth mentioning it was genuinely against a reserve side knowing they had a man advantage. I'm not sure if either side will have learned much, which is a shame really.

ca249c1343fa86e9fb507ae8ec286bb2.jpg

Red card.

I thought at the time it was slightly harsh but once hoppy got goal side the defender was always in trouble if there was contact, to be pulling his shirt is a silly decision.

We were a bit sloppy, but as a team with alot of changes, ahead playing against 10 men and most importantly it being the Diddy cup the rage coming from some of the crowd was amusing.

Archived