#Sonshamers v Sons

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All fair though the "poor League Cup" is something of fine margins. To finish 3rd in that group was clearly not good enough and the performance at home to Albion in particular was poor but if any of the four chances that hit woodwork against EK go in we win the group. They didnt and we didnt but there were positive signs even in the League Cup that we were an improving work in progress. Lets see how we do at places like Falkirk and Livingston next though......

Agree with this, the real marker for our season will be in these next 4/5 games where we are away 4 of them. A lot of hard places to go.

Yesterday was fine, quite happy with what I've seen so far tbh. Defence was solid, a game that last season we'd have conceded in no doubt, but they stood up well. Midfield thought did okay, but was hard to break down there 9 men behind the ball... thought Jacobs was excellent. Strikers are doing fine bar converting chances, was impressed with Kane again, his all round play is excellent but never really got a sniff, Dobbie it's just not happening for him at the moment and Lyle done ok also. Thought Lyndon was excellent when came on but prob should've worked keeper from his mazy. We know goals will come.

Going up to falkirk next week with a bit of confidence.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

From the highlights, Kyle Hutton makes a pathetic attempt at marking Fordyce. Truly awful. Aitken also saying he doesn't think we'll sign anyone else and thought we were comfortable in the first half. Great. Just great.

I thought I'd been transported back in time to this time last year watching that interview :unsure: 

Then just on the the hour mark he had another great opportunity when he raced through but Grant Gallacher blocked his shot.

This is from The Sun's match report today. Carswell coming on in goals on Wednesday, and now an injured Grant Gallagher between the sticks. No wonder we're struggling.

Those highlights are grim and Aitken's comments are concerning.

Couple of things I picked up on - Hutton is an absolute diddy and the goalie is a bombscare. What the f**k is he doing for that one where Dobbie chips him? He's been doing shit like that all season and it's going to cost us.

Aitken saying we were unlucky, just lacked a wee bit of cutting edge infront of goal etc. We need to actually get to the goal first to lack cutting edge, bumbling around in our own half creating f**k all isn't lacking cutting edge.

Nae new signings and Aitken happy with that type of performance. Sounds like all those 20 and 22 quids will be right good value for money.

12 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

We won 1-0 . Enjoy the moment :)

Right on!! I thought finally yesterday Queen's excelled . Even Lyndon for all his criticisms did a 5 second Maradona run near the end!! Entertaining 

football , great to watch. !! Passing accuracy is getting up there... 10+ pass links . Its starting to contrast the Queens of a couple of years back .Then the lacklustre years of Anderson... Miller ...Higgins ... and who can forget..... Ryan McGuffie... 

Right on!! I thought finally yesterday Queen's excelled . Even Lyndon for all his criticisms did a 5 second Maradona run near the end!! Entertaining 
football , great to watch. !! Passing accuracy is getting up there... 10+ pass links . Its starting to contrast the Queens of a couple of years back .Then the lacklustre years of Anderson... Miller ...Higgins ... and who can forget..... Ryan McGuffie... 

I really don't understand what you're saying in your last sentence. Higgins and Guff were both very good players for us.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Those highlights are grim and Aitken's comments are concerning.

Couple of things I picked up on - Hutton is an absolute diddy and the goalie is a bombscare. What the f**k is he doing for that one where Dobbie chips him? He's been doing shit like that all season and it's going to cost us.

Aitken saying we were unlucky, just lacked a wee bit of cutting edge infront of goal etc. We need to actually get to the goal first to lack cutting edge, bumbling around in our own half creating f**k all isn't lacking cutting edge.

Nae new signings and Aitken happy with that type of performance. Sounds like all those 20 and 22 quids will be right good value for money.

I watched the highlights but didnt bother with the 10 mins of Aitken but is that really what he said? If so thats pretty insulting to the fans after putting out such a defensive line up.

The highlights didnt clear up Stirlings pass to Lyle but did bring up a couple of other moments. I didnt realise at the time that Dobbie had a shot cleared off the line before Gallacher gathered the ball. Looked from where I was that he had just spilled the initial save. Also, Dobbie had another chance in the second half but the ball from Dykes didnt have enough pace on it and he had to stop and ended up just hooking it into Gallachers hands. A ball in front of him would have produced a much better chance.

Dumbarton did have one really good chance to equalise from a corner but other than that Martin was never troubled. Even Gallachers shot he put over the bar was actually a much more difficult chance than it looked at the time.

I watched the highlights but didnt bother with the 10 mins of Aitken but is that really what he said? If so thats pretty insulting to the fans after putting out such a defensive line up.
The highlights didnt clear up Stirlings pass to Lyle but did bring up a couple of other moments. I didnt realise at the time that Dobbie had a shot cleared off the line before Gallacher gathered the ball. Looked from where I was that he had just spilled the initial save. Also, Dobbie had another chance in the second half but the ball from Dykes didnt have enough pace on it and he had to stop and ended up just hooking it into Gallachers hands. A ball in front of him would have produced a much better chance.
Dumbarton did have one really good chance to equalise from a corner but other than that Martin was never troubled. Even Gallachers shot he put over the bar was actually a much more difficult chance than it looked at the time.

He did use words to that effect, perhaps not a direct quote but certainly what he hinted at.

Like I said, in order to lack cutting edge infront of goal you have to get into that area of the pitch. Other than a fairly tame Dowie header from a corner I didn't see one single chance that we remotely looked like scoring from.

Cutting edge isn't the issue, creating any sort of chances and playing like absolute shitebags is the issue. You'll be lucky to see a more confortable win all season, Martin could've taken the afternoon off such was our goal threat, or lack of it.

Based on some comments on here after the match I thought Queens were clinging on a bit towards the end but it certainly doesn't seem that way from the highlights.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He did use words to that effect, perhaps not a direct quote but certainly what he hinted at.

Like I said, in order to lack cutting edge infront of goal you have to get into that area of the pitch. Other than a fairly tame Dowie header from a corner I didn't see one single chance that we remotely looked like scoring from.

Cutting edge isn't the issue, creating any sort of chances and playing like absolute shitebags is the issue. You'll be lucky to see a more confortable win all season, Martin could've taken the afternoon off such was our goal threat, or lack of it.

Based on some comments on here after the match I thought Queens were clinging on a bit towards the end but it certainly doesn't seem that way from the highlights.

Clinging on is maybe a bit of a stretch but it was a bit nervy towards the end. Dumbarton had brought Nade on, chucked Dowie up front and were lumping long balls up to them. The defence coped pretty well but some of the clearances were getting a bit desperate so the ball was coming back a lot. Plus, of course, it was only 1-0. As much as it was nervy when Dumbarton had a lot of the ball, whenever we did break we looked dangerous and created some really good chances.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Clinging on is maybe a bit of a stretch but it was a bit nervy towards the end. Dumbarton had brought Nade on, chucked Dowie up front and were lumping long balls up to them. The defence coped pretty well but some of the clearances were getting a bit desperate so the ball was coming back a lot. Plus, of course, it was only 1-0. As much as it was nervy when Dumbarton had a lot of the ball, whenever we did break we looked dangerous and created some really good chances.

Yes, that's about the size of it.  

We were never in any real trouble in the closing stages, but we were under some aerial pressure.  I think any such anxiety was heightened significantly by the fact that the game should have been well and truly dead by that point.  Our failure to make it so, coupled with a learned fatalism, made an equaliser feel sort of inevitable.

Happily, it wasn't.

You can hardly judge a game on the highlights. The game wasn't that different from the Falkirk game the obvious difference being that we didn't score this time. I really don't get why we set up so defensive in the first half given the obvious difference in the second half.

You can hardly judge a game on the highlights. The game wasn't that different from the Falkirk game the obvious difference being that we didn't score this time. I really don't get why we set up so defensive in the first half given the obvious difference in the second half.

I'm not judging a game on the highlights. I'm judging the fact we created f**k all and that Queens looked fairly comfortable at the arse end of the match when we supposedly had them "on the ropes".

Unless Sons TV decided to exclude clear cut chances it certainly didn't look like Queens were in danger of having to deal with a shot on target never mind a good goal scoring chance.

We had far better chances against Falkirk, mainly because we started with players capable of creating at least a handful of chances. Other than a fairly easy to deal with Dowie header Martin had absolutely nothing to do yesterday, again unless there are key moments missing from the highlights.

Falkirk fans seem in a bit of a meltdown but no doubt it will be very tough there next week,

See this is the sort of fixture where at the start of the season before a ball was kicked i would have easily taken a point. But they had a couple of bodies sent off yesterday, and are struggling so this is the sort of game that we have to be looking to capitalise on. I think this was the feeling last week at Dundee united aswell as they had one of their better players sent off and we still got beat. Got to take advantage while teams are performing poorly or are there for the taking.

11 minutes ago, MOTD Wannabee said:

Here's our highlights (for the record)...

Around 8.30 for the Lyle chance. The pace on the ball from Stirling and the fact that its not along the ground makes Lyle have to adjust and go wider. He maybe still could have hit his first time with his left foot but it wouldnt have been an easy shot. Less pace on the ball and he scores

I must be about the only one but I actually think we looked okay in that game yesterday (based on the highlights). Do I think we should have set up with Roy in the starting line up? Yes. Do I think we were far too defensive? Yes. I'd argue that Nade has not been one of our best players so far, as I have seen a couple of folk suggesting.

But I'm not overly worried. On another day we could have sneaked a point and it may not have been 100% deserved but I'm okay with that.

I reckon if we had got to half time at 0-0 then held on it would have been a good point to pick up. Hindsight is a great thing but I don't think we should be hitting the panic button just yet. Different if we were down 3-0 at half time but losing a goal on the half time whistle is a pretty fine margin.

Positives to take were that Carswell got a game under his belt and Barr doesn't look too badly injured.

I agree we need another striker in but we have to live within our means. I don't think we have signed as well as we could have but we are only 3 games into the season and should at least give them a few more weeks to settle in. I'm still hopeful we might see a youngster come in on loan - even though that may just be my naivety.

It's 3 points and a clean sheet against a side that generally do well down here so that's obviously the most important thing.

I think it's harsh to have a go at our second half performance yesterday. I thought we were actually more dangerous in the second and the highlights tend to confirm it. Aitken clearly set them up for a point and had we not scored the goal when we did I expect the second half would have went the same way as the first. Dumbarton had to open up after the goal and that's when we looked more likely. Up until the goal I actually couldn't see us scoring from open play as Dumbarton were set up very well. I thought our lack of width was so obvious to see. We continually played through the middle and it was playing into their hands. We had nothing on the left apart from Marshall and you can't expect the boy to be up and down the line himself all game. I thought he was left exposed as well. That system can work at home against the lower league teams but I think we'll take a hiding off some of the bigger sides with it. Good to see us be so attacking at home though.

Lyle's chance was exactly that for me. A player of his ability has to be finishing that. He wrongly tried to take it on his right. A quick touch with his left and shot with his left and he scores. It summed up his day. I thought that was as bad a game he has had for us in years. Though it was long overdue [emoji38] Dobbie seemed to be trying too hard. The goals will come.

Fordyce got my MOTM. Thought he was solid and won everything in the air. Comfortably the best signing of Naysmith's so far.

I expect us to be more cautious against Falkirk so it'll be interesting to see the line-up.

Archived