#Sonshamers v Sons

3 hours ago, football maniac said:

John Baird Stephen Simmons and Mark Millar imo are 3

Baird certainly did look good for others but I'm unconvinced by the suggestions he was particularly rubbish for us. He did ok but couldn't get in the team ahead of Reilly and Lyle after a period injured and didn't take to sitting on the bench well. His attitude was crap but I thought he played ok.

Simmons was never particularly good anywhere else (and the degree to which he was crap for us is exaggerated a bit because Gus built him up to be more than he was).

Millar looked a shadow of the player he was with Falkirk mostly in his time here but then he looked that at Dundee Utd, Peterhead & Livingston too.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Spider Ramsay.

First name I instantly thought of too. Brilliant against us every time but pretty awful with us.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Pretty awful for us.

Scored loads of goals against us for the likes of Kilmarnock and Stirling Albion.

Played for us early 90s

I missed most of Watters time with us as it coincided with me being away at Uni and missing more games than I saw. I think you are probably right to include him by all accounts though.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barry John Corr.  Always seemed to have a standout playing for Stranraer against us but was possibly the worst keeper I have seen in a Queens jersey. And I include Antell in that. I think Corr packed in senior football when he left us. 

Corr has his own bathroom fitting business now. Based around the bearsden area of Glasgow. I think he served an apprenticeship after he chucked pro football.

29 minutes ago, sons'r'us said:

Corr has his own bathroom fitting business now. Based around the bearsden area of Glasgow. I think he served an apprenticeship after he chucked pro football.

He was already a time served joiner while he played for us. That was the last season before we went full time.

16 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Barry John Corr wasn't that bad for us, but McCall made him a scapegoat and absolutely destroyed his confidence.

Not how I remember it. I thought McCall was eventually forced to drop him after he was scapegoated by the fans and lost all confidence. Hence bringing Colin Scott back and then Craig Hinchcliffe in. And when forced by Scott's final injury to play Corr against Dundee THAT night, Corr's reaction to what he saw as hypocritical cheers from the terraces. That was his last game for us I think though he sat on the bench behind loan replacement Jamie MacDonald for the rest of the season.

Not how I remember it. I thought McCall was eventually forced to drop him after he was scapegoated by the fans and lost all confidence. Hence bringing Colin Scott back and then Craig Hinchcliffe in. And when forced by Scott's final injury to play Corr against Dundee THAT night, Corr's reaction to what he saw as hypocritical cheers from the terraces. That was his last game for us I think though he sat on the bench behind loan replacement Jamie MacDonald for the rest of the season.

He played in the league game at Dundee the following Saturday, before MacDonald came in. I was sure that McCall had been less than complimentary about him, which lead to fans getting on his back, culminating in that infamous evening.

He played in the league game at Dundee the following Saturday, before MacDonald came in. I was sure that McCall had been less than complimentary about him, which lead to fans getting on his back, culminating in that infamous evening.

f773528aa0804c3e2c18b03d93e61550.jpg

What's the script with this 'infamous evening' and Barry John Corr then?

As mentioned already, he wasn't a fans favourite, not aided by his manager hanging him out to dry with comments like this:

7c2b74e7ea6ddca75c26d29cfbec5655.jpg

Followed up days later by this:

0f3cf5ecc3eab1fb1956e7977aae492d.jpg

We played Dundee in the Scottish cup, it went all the way to penalties, in front of our big terracing. Corr made the saves to take us through and celebrated by screaming abuse at the fans behind the goal.

42 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

What's the script with this 'infamous evening' and Barry John Corr then?

Corr had been signed to be our keeper that season after impressing against us for Stranraer the previous season but it didnt work out. His performances were poor, he cost us a few games and he was getting stick from the terraces. He needed taken out of the firing line and McCall replaced him first with injury prone veteran no 2 keeper Colin Scott and then, after Scott was injured yet again, by bringing in Craig Hinchcliffe on loan from Thistle. Thistle wouldnt let Hinchcliffe stay more than a month though so we were back to a semi fit Scott in January.

We were drawn away to Dundee in the Scottish Cup (coincidentally the debut of one Stephen Dobbie). We nicked a 1-1 draw up there thanks to Sean O'Connor's header but Scott was again injured in the game, too injured to play in tbe replay. Cup rules being as they are you couldnt sign anyone new to play in the replay as only players available for the original tie were eligible. Which left us one fit keeper - Corr.

The replay was a wonderful game which we should have won in 90 mins (Dobs got his first two goals for us) and led 3 times. It finished 3-3 though with Corr who had a good game making a miracle save near the end of extra time to take it to penalties.

Still I dont think too many thought we had much hope in the shoot out and even less when Eric Paton missed early for us. Cometh the hour though...... The previously hapless Corr saved Dundee's next two kicks (including one from Derek Lyle) and we scored the rest of ours, Neil Scally clinching the win with our 5th. The fans started to chant Corr's name but he was having none of it. The red mist came down and he started shouting and gesturing at the terrace, furious at the hypocrisy. The photo above shows Murray Henderson physically dragging him away. Not content with that he basically went straight into the press and repeated all his frustrations there, shooting off his mouth about the "fans". He had a point but it was very much the wrong way to make it. McCall had little option but to bin him. I had forgotten he did play away to Dundee in the League 4 days later but we brought Jamie MacDonald in on loan from Hearts after that and Corr never played again. 

He left that summer, linked up with Neil Watt again at Ayr and it all happened again there. He was playing Junior by the second half of that season.

Corr had been signed to be our keeper that season after impressing against us for Stranraer the previous season but it didnt work out. His performances were poor, he cost us a few games and he was getting stick from the terraces. He needed taken out of the firing line and McCall replaced him first with injury prone veteran no 2 keeper Colin Scott and then, after Scott was injured yet again, by bringing in Craig Hinchcliffe on loan from Thistle. Thistle wouldnt let Hinchcliffe stay more than a month though so we were back to a semi fit Scott in January.
We were drawn away to Dundee in the Scottish Cup (coincidentally the debut of one Stephen Dobbie). We nicked a 1-1 draw up there thanks to Sean O'Connor's header but Scott was again injured in the game, too injured to play in tbe replay. Cup rules being as they are you couldnt sign anyone new to play in the replay as only players available for the original tie were eligible. Which left us one fit keeper - Corr.
The replay was a wonderful game which we should have won in 90 mins (Dobs got his first two goals for us) and led 3 times. It finished 3-3 though with Corr who had a good game making a miracle save near the end of extra time to take it to penalties.
Still I dont think too many thought we had much hope in the shoot out and even less when Eric Paton missed early for us. Cometh the hour though...... The previously hapless Corr saved Dundee's next two kicks (including one from Derek Lyle) and we scored the rest of ours, Neil Scally clinching the win with our 5th. The fans started to chant Corr's name but he was having none of it. The red mist came down and he started shouting and gesturing at the terrace, furious at the hypocrisy. The photo above shows Murray Henderson physically dragging him away. Not content with that he basically went straight into the press and repeated all his frustrations there, shooting off his mouth about the "fans". He had a point but it was very much the wrong way to make it. McCall had little option but to bin him. I had forgotten he did play away to Dundee in the League 4 days later but we brought Jamie MacDonald in on loan from Hearts after that and Corr never played again. 
He left that summer, linked up with Neil Watt again at Ayr and it all happened again there. He was playing Junior by the second half of that season.

Interesting piece that. Thanks for sharing.

As mentioned already, he wasn't a fans favourite, not aided by his manager hanging him out to dry with comments like this:

We played Dundee in the Scottish cup, it went all the way to penalties, in front of our big terracing. Corr made the saves to take us through and celebrated by screaming abuse at the fans behind the goal.

Jeez. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Must've been an 'interesting' time to say the least. What a situation.

8 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Massive fan of this.

That's horrendous management from McCall

10 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Barry John Corr wasn't that bad for us, but McCall made him a scapegoat and absolutely destroyed his confidence.

There's a degree of truth in this.

Corr definitely made mistakes that were costly, so fans were disgruntled about him, regardless of the manager's stance.  McCall however, certainly didn't help his player.  As shown in the excerpts from the OS, he was not slow to be very critical of him in a blatant, personal and public way.

Unlike say, Antell, Corr had proven himself to be a very capable goalkeeper in the past - St Mirren were said to be interested in him when he was at Stranraer.  With support, it might have been a crisis in confidence that he could have come through.  He didn't get any though and was unable to kick start things elsewhere.

He didn't help himself with his indiscriminate rant after the Dundee game.  Some of his comments later I think also hinted at a sectarian element to the hard time he got, which was way wide of the mark.  Both showed how much he'd been hurting though and that's a shame.

In short, Corr struggled on the field for us and dropping him was necessary.  I do think though that McCall's handling of him looked from this distance at least, to be pretty spiteful and unfair.

53 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There's a degree of truth in this.

Corr definitely made mistakes that were costly, so fans were disgruntled about him, regardless of the manager's stance.  McCall however, certainly didn't help his player.  As shown in the excerpts from the OS, he was not slow to be very critical of him in a blatant, personal and public way.

Unlike say, Antell, Corr had proven himself to be a very capable goalkeeper in the past - St Mirren were said to be interested in him when he was at Stranraer.  With support, it might have been a crisis in confidence that he could have come through.  He didn't get any though and was unable to kick start things elsewhere.

He didn't help himself with his indiscriminate rant after the Dundee game.  Some of his comments later I think also hinted at a sectarian element to the hard time he got, which was way wide of the mark.  Both showed how much he'd been hurting though and that's a shame.

In short, Corr struggled on the field for us and dropping him was necessary.  I do think though that McCall's handling of him looked from this distance at least, to be pretty spiteful and unfair.

Without disagreeing with any of this per se, I think there's an implication that McCall's comments above, which followed a St Johnstone away game where Corr basically chucked about 3 in his own net, were the start of things. They weren't. The fans had been on his back since he lost a goal from distance on his home debut in the Challenge Cup or League Cup (I forget which). McCall did back him initially and resisted calls to drop him for a long time before finally losing patience after that St Johnstone debacle. I'm not for one second defending the way McCall handled it but he did back him for a couple of months before finally dealing with it. The comparisons with Jim McIntyre though are fair. McIntyre backed Antell initially and then used the excuse of a relatively minor injury which might have kept Antell out for a week or so, to bring in another keeper (Zander Clark) without completely embarrassing Antell. He was slightly lucky in that injury gave him the opportunity to do that but I guess McCall could have invented a minor concern for Corr if he'd wanted to.

EDITED to add: I'd forgotten he claimed there was a sectarian element to the abuse he got which was plainly absolute nonsense. That was the straw that broke the camel's back completely but it was probably beyond repair before then anyway.

That's a pretty good summing up of McCall's entire tenure with us. Blame everyone but himself.

He's a self-publicising, arrogant p***k of a man. I hated his attitude at Queens. He made out as if the job at such a wee diddy team was so below him but he helped us out because it was his hometown club. The media lapped it up, but the reality is if a bigger club had wanted him he'd have been off just like any other player or manager. His parting shot at the board was pathetic as well, and made the success that followed under Chisholm all the sweeter.

Grudgingly, he does earn considerable forgiveness for giving us Dobbie.

As for that Dundee game. I was at University in Glasgow at the time listening to the coverage on Radio Scotland. The program ended before our match did leaving me to frantically refresh this website to see what was going on

Archived