Jump to content

DOONHAMERS V DIAMONDS Challenge Cup Tue 15/08/2017


Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I think I remember that now and the archives will give me an accurate answer .Glad to hear that other fans do walk out of games before the end . The one game I did think of was in the Scottish Cup on a Monday night when Archibald's "Spanish" Airdrie played and won their last game. Have a former colleague who supports Queens so I hope you survive in the Championship.

Dont get me started. All these years on and I still remain bitter AND twisted about that. What the SFA allowed to happen that night was unfair and inequitable. :thumbsdown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Mercer started well enough for us I thought, but has never fully recovered from the roasting Lewis Morgan gave him. Sadly he's played himself out of the team for now, but he can cover both full back positions so he'll likely get another shot at some point. Hopefully he can take better advantage of it when it comes.

I don't like the way he's been made a figure of fun by some of our fans though. These young players should be encouraged not vilified. It's not like his poor performances have come from a lack of effort. He doesn't go and hide when it isn't working out, he sticks to his tasks and keeps going. I hope he can turn it around.

He can only turn it around if he gets involved in games and shows he is up to it. The Airdrieonians game would have been as good an opportunity as any to give him some game time, even if he had been brought on from the bench instead of Rooney. Rooney maybe offers more of an attacking threat but the game was over as a contest when he came on anyway. I can't see Mercer's confidence being built up when Fordyce is preferred at right back before he is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dont get me started. All these years on and I still remain bitter AND twisted about that. What the SFA allowed to happen that night was unfair and inequitable. :thumbsdown

Do you mean when the SFA gave the quarter final place to Peterhead or it led to Adminstration for Airdrie?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Do you mean when the SFA gave the quarter final place to Peterhead or it led to Adminstration for Airdrie?

I said not to get me started!

I meant how Archibald inconveniently "forgot" to renew all his contracts in time for them to be eligible to play in the Scottish Cup (back in the days of the 14 days in advance rule) then appealed to the SFA and were allowed an exemption whilst players we signed within the 14 days before the tie weren't allowed. Then Airdrie knock us out (a little harshly, thanks to a tale of two penalties in the last few moments) and go into administration within the week, are thrown out of the tournament and Peterhead effectively given a bye to the quarter finals.

I accept it was probably equitable that Airdrie were allowed to play their normal players even if it wasn't strictly allowed within the rules but I think we should have been given the same exemption in the circumstances so play players signed within the period before the game.

And I think if they were throwing Airdrie out of the competition (I offer no view on whether that was right or wrong) then we should have been reinstated. They were effectively saying Airdrie were not eligible to take part any longer but allowed them to bend the rules and put us out first. The match was touch and go with a waterlogged pitch at the time (played on a Monday night). If we'd watered the damned thing and got it postponed for another couple of days Airdrie would have been removed before we played and we'd have gotten the bye to play Peterhead.

Like I say, bitter AND twisted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

I said not to get me started!

I meant how Archibald inconveniently "forgot" to renew all his contracts in time for them to be eligible to play in the Scottish Cup (back in the days of the 14 days in advance rule) then appealed to the SFA and were allowed an exemption whilst players we signed within the 14 days before the tie weren't allowed. Then Airdrie knock us out (a little harshly, thanks to a tale of two penalties in the last few moments) and go into administration within the week, are thrown out of the tournament and Peterhead effectively given a bye to the quarter finals.

I accept it was probably equitable that Airdrie were allowed to play their normal players even if it wasn't strictly allowed within the rules but I think we should have been given the same exemption in the circumstances so play players signed within the period before the game.

And I think if they were throwing Airdrie out of the competition (I offer no view on whether that was right or wrong) then we should have been reinstated. They were effectively saying Airdrie were not eligible to take part any longer but allowed them to bend the rules and put us out first. The match was touch and go with a waterlogged pitch at the time (played on a Monday night). If we'd watered the damned thing and got it postponed for another couple of days Airdrie would have been removed before we played and we'd have gotten the bye to play Peterhead.

Like I say, bitter AND twisted.

I had tried to forget it as well and I did not know about the Contract situation as you lay it out. I would have reinstated Queens but I am brighter than the SFA then and now.  Given what happened this week I hope we don't meet each other in the Scottish Cup this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...