Jump to content

DOONHAMERS V DIAMONDS Challenge Cup Tue 15/08/2017


Recommended Posts

I actually commented last night after Rankin went off that I didn't think he played particularly well but we started to lose the midfield once he had left. So he must have been doing more than I gave him credit for at the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm still not sure the point of playing Fordyce at right-back other than, he wanted to play Kerr but not drop Fordyce. He did okay, but it was clearly the performance of a centre back playing right back. I hope we don't see it again except in an emergency.

To be fair whilst he clearly is better at centre back a la Dowie, he can play right back and had a season playing there at this level with Livingston. He isnt a novice at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MOTD Wannabee said:

 

Multi-camera highlights - what a world we live in! Oh to be in the heady heights of the Scottish Championship...

What a miss that was from Cammy Russell in the first minute. Must have been harder to head it wide than in! 
We really need to learn how to defend crosses, it's beyond embarrassing now. We're set to lose a ton of goals from it this year, which is inexcusable given the relative height of our backline. 

And on another note, I find myself irrationally annoyed when Brownlie slaps both his hands on the ground after every goal we conceed. Not sure why, but it does my tits in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NM_1919 said:

Comfortable, bar as said above the chance in first few minutes. Quite impressed with Jason Kerr tonight apart from one lapse in concentration looks like he'll be a handy addition. Thought Chris Kane done fine apart from scoring, hopefully he'll get off the mark Saturday...

Although not worked overly hard, I thought Leighfield done fine in goals, so great for him to get 90 minutes under his belt. Back four were fine again, bar the one chance mentioned. Fordyce done fine at right back but doesn't offer a he'll of a lot attacking wise but as a stand in, i'd have no qualms about him filling in. Jordan Marshall i thought was good, for once regularly put in decent crosses. Midfield thought John Rankin put in a tremendous shift and was everything I want from him, maybe the formation suits him better? Who knows but certainly against Dundee United and tonight he's had two of his better games. Jacobs done fine also in usual performance for him, Wee Dan also put in a good performance and a terrific cross for the fourth. Maybe wrong to doubt the Tanman couple of weeks ago but he's certainly doing a lot more in games now , be hard to drop him in all honesty for Saturday.

I agree on Rankin and Jacobs but then Im sure everyone saw what a good game he had. The last couple of games have been far more like the Rankin I thought we were going to get and the Rankin we need in the midfield. He could form a decent partnership with Jacobs and if we play a couple of wingers or 3 strikers the lack of attacking threat from the two of them wont be an issue.

Having said that, Im not a huge fan of the formation we played last night, and started with on Saturday. Its too lopsided for me and leaves the defence horribly exposed in wide areas. Dundee Utd exploited it on Saturday and while Airdrie didnt have the same quality out wide to do the same last night it did allow a lot of space for them to pass the ball around - which they did really well without ever looking like hurting us.

56 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:


Marshall's first half performance was tremendous. Comfortably the best half of football I've seen from him. The ball in for the opening goal was a peach, and he was involved in several other excellent attacks. He should in theory improve under Naysmith and lets hope he does.

Carmichael as really shone in the roaming free role he has been given in the games against Airdrie and Brechin. He's very much a confidence player so hopefully he can keep this up for the tougher tests ahead.

Kane looks every bit the exciting signing we thought he would be. Slight concern that he's now missed a 1 vs 1 in each of the three halves he has played in, but once he gets off the mark he'll be fine. You could tell him and Dobbie both wanted a goal last night, and towards the end it was a bit ridiculous as they both turned into the greedy kid from the school playground.

Kerr looked superb and will probably be very unfairly be dropped on Saturday. Won all his aerial battles and looked very assured on the ball.

I'm still not sure the point of playing Fordyce at right-back other than, he wanted to play Kerr but not drop Fordyce. He did okay, but it was clearly the performance of a centre back playing right back. I hope we don't see it again except in an emergency. Rooney did well when he came on.

Really? I thought he did ok but I wouldnt go anywhere near "superb". He looked raw, to me, particularly early on. Nearly lost possession a few times and went into challenges he really shouldnt have. Theres definitely a player in there as he matures and gets more experience but I'd worry a little about him going up against the Loys, Clarks and Bairds of the Championship, based on last nights performance. Hopefully, though, with that game under his belt he'll calm down a little. Hes certainly going to be decent back up.

Agree with the rest of your post. Carmichael in that form is almost like a new signing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I actually commented last night after Rankin went off that I didn't think he played particularly well but we started to lose the midfield once he had left. So he must have been doing more than I gave him credit for at the time.

Three things that impressed me mate was his reading of the game, His leadership and encouragement of the team and just his pssing when feeding the ball out wide to your left back. A few times he just pinged a ball out to the wings for the wide players to run on to. Like for the first goal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be fair whilst he clearly is better at centre back a la Dowie, he can play right back and had a season playing there at this level with Livingston. He isnt a novice at it.

So it confirmed something the manager already knew, but I didn't, that he is competent at right-back.  I still don't get it.  It was an opportunity lost for Rooney to further cement his place in the team or for Mercer to restore a bit of confidence and make a case for himself starting.  If it was to allow Carmichael the freedom to roam and to provide a bit of defensive solidity down the right then I suppose that's fair enough.  A trip to Tannadice would probably have made more sense to try that, than a home game we where expected to win.

Not a massive issue I just found it to be a strange decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good highlights again and very promt.

Just a few points.

The Airdrie boy has to be scoring that chance. If that goes in it's a totally different game as Airdrie can afford to sit in for the duration.

Dobbie can count himself unlucky. I thought from the highlights he was just in line. To be fair to the lino though I think Kane was obstructing his view slightly of the Airdrie defender.

I thought at the time and the highlights confirm it for me that the Airdrie number 4 was very lucky to stay on the park. To me that was an elbow to Kane's face and I'm surprised it didn't send him down.

Marshall and Dan's distribution was excellent.

Good solid performance and I hope we build on it on Saturday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really? I thought he did ok but I wouldnt go anywhere near "superb". He looked raw, to me, particularly early on. Nearly lost possession a few times and went into challenges he really shouldnt have. Theres definitely a player in there as he matures and gets more experience but I'd worry a little about him going up against the Loys, Clarks and Bairds of the Championship, based on last nights performance. Hopefully, though, with that game under his belt he'll calm down a little. Hes certainly going to be decent back up.
Agree with the rest of your post. Carmichael in that form is almost like a new signing


Agree on the formation, got away with it last night and it seemed to open game up outwide for us, but against an organised team like Dumbarton, we'll not get same oppurtunities as readily.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Good highlights again and very promt.

Just a few points.

The Airdrie boy has to be scoring that chance. If that goes in it's a totally different game as Airdrie can afford to sit in for the duration.

Dobbie can count himself unlucky. I thought from the highlights he was just in line. To be fair to the lino though I think Kane was obstructing his view slightly of the Airdrie defender.

I thought at the time and the highlights confirm it for me that the Airdrie number 4 was very lucky to stay on the park. To me that was an elbow to Kane's face and I'm surprised it didn't send him down.

Marshall and Dan's distribution was excellent.

Good solid performance and I hope we build on it on Saturday.

Airdries early chance is an absolute sitter. I thought maybe Brownlie had done enough to put him off but he doesnt actually get near him. Bad mistake from Kerr too.

Yes, it never really occurred to me at the time but, as you say, Dobbie looks onside from the highlights.

Three awful goals to lose from Airdries point of view. The delivery was decent, particularly, Dans cross for the fourth goal but none of the Queens players do anything in particular to lose the defenders, they pretty much just stand there and the head the ball into the net! Not great goalkeeping on the third either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could have been and should have been more than the 4 goals, although we should have been 1-0 down in the first minute. Unsure about the two offside goals, but Lyle was not happy about the second one.

 

Thought Kane played well, despite missing the two 1 on 1's but he'll get there and once he does score I feel he'll get a load. His strength and hold up play was excellent.

 

Marshall was the pick of the bunch for me.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well beaten yet again at Palmerston and I can't remember winning there for years but lots of fair reporting on this game so I will not complain about anything



I imagine there has been one since but I can always remember McCall gifting you three points the year you were fighting it out down the bottom with Ross County(?). I walked out of that game. I was younger so I was possibly way off but from what I recall it was a bonkers line-up and I knew we would be cuffed before we even started.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nipples said:

Multi-camera highlights - what a world we live in! Oh to be in the heady heights of the Scottish Championship...

What a miss that was from Cammy Russell in the first minute. Must have been harder to head it wide than in! 
We really need to learn how to defend crosses, it's beyond embarrassing now. We're set to lose a ton of goals from it this year, which is inexcusable given the relative height of our backline. 

And on another note, I find myself irrationally annoyed when Brownlie slaps both his hands on the ground after every goal we conceed. Not sure why, but it does my tits in.

Brownlie was a surprise birth in the breech position so thats why for the last 22 years given any opportunity he will fall to the floor like this. 

I was a Gynaecologist at Bellshill . One of our other players was the same [ Tapping] but he broke his leg on the way oot. Husnae been right since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

 

 


I imagine there has been one since but I can always remember McCall gifting you three points the year you were fighting it out down the bottom with Ross County(?). I walked out of that game. I was younger so I was possibly way off but from what I recall it was a bonkers line-up and I knew we would be cuffed before we even started.

 

 

It was Ian McCall's last game as manager.  We lost 3-0 and he made some quip about the white strips Airdrie were wearing made them play like Real Madrid or something along those lines.  In truth he already knew he was leaving, and we were safe so it was a dead rubber for us.  I had it in my head that he played a ridiculous line up but looking at the report it was a pretty strong team, although Scally at sweeper and Paton and McQuilken at wing-backs stand out as obvious weaknesses!

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/280407.htm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

It was Ian McCall's last game as manager.  We lost 3-0 and he made some quip about the white strips Airdrie were wearing made them play like Real Madrid or something along those lines.  In truth he already knew he was leaving, and we were safe so it was a dead rubber for us.  I had it in my head that he played a ridiculous line up but looking at the report it was a pretty strong team, although Scally at sweeper and Paton and McQuilken at wing-backs stand out as obvious weaknesses!

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/280407.htm

Don't think the Real Madrid comment was about that game. Think it was the last game of the previous season when we lost at home to Dundee.

Eta http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/06apr.htm "Match reaction 29 April".

Edited by Flash
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Don't think the Real Madrid comment was about that game. Think it was the last game of the previous season when we lost at home to Dundee.

Eta http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/06apr.htm "Match reaction 29 April".

You are of course correct, although I'm sure MT will happily point out that you lose marks for looking it up!

In my defence, McCall came out with so much bullshit that it has all merged into one in my head over time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless Mercer is carrying an injury or something, I would view his lack of involvement last night as an indication that Gary has  realised he is maybe not good enough. We were playing a team from a division below us in a competition that is probably the least important to be involved in, yet we start with a central defender at right back and when we were coasting Rooney comes on. Surely that would have been an ideal opportunity to give Mercer some much needed game time. Fair enough Rooney now looks to be 1st choice RB but Mercer doesn't even appear to be 2nd choice. Maybe Gary didn't want to drop Fordyce, as someone suggested earlier, and he has experience of playing at right back, but it just seems strange to me that a player who Gary brought in as a right back, and who has been regularly warming the bench, wasn't given a bit of a run-out in a game like this. I'm not complaining mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mercer started well enough for us I thought, but has never fully recovered from the roasting Lewis Morgan gave him. Sadly he's played himself out of the team for now, but he can cover both full back positions so he'll likely get another shot at some point. Hopefully he can take better advantage of it when it comes.

I don't like the way he's been made a figure of fun by some of our fans though. These young players should be encouraged not vilified. It's not like his poor performances have come from a lack of effort. He doesn't go and hide when it isn't working out, he sticks to his tasks and keeps going. I hope he can turn it around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

 

 

 

 


I imagine there has been one since but I can always remember McCall gifting you three points the year you were fighting it out down the bottom with Ross County(?). I walked out of that game. I was younger so I was possibly way off but from what I recall it was a bonkers line-up and I knew we would be cuffed before we even started.

 

 

I think I remember that now and the archives will give me an accurate answer .Glad to hear that other fans do walk out of games before the end . The one game I did think of was in the Scottish Cup on a Monday night when Archibald's "Spanish" Airdrie played and won their last game. Have a former colleague who supports Queens so I hope you survive in the Championship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...