DOONHAMERS V DIAMONDS Challenge Cup Tue 15/08/2017

Convincing win with a clean sheet which is obviously pleasing.

I thought we took our foot off the pedal in the second half which is understandable. At 3-0 you're just hoping for no injuries and a clean sheet.

Was motm announced? Jacobs would have got it for me. His passing was hurried at times but he completely bossed the midfield and continually broke up play. Marshall would be a close second.

Kane looked lively and could be a big player for us. He missed two one on ones but at least he's getting into the right places and you can't see the goals not coming. He never gave the Airdrie backline peace. Kerr didn't really have much to do but did what he had to. I expect Brownlie and Fordyce will be back in the middle on Saturday though.

A pleasing evening in general. If it wasn't for the League Cup I'd be a lot more optimistic about this season [emoji38]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very comfortable win in a game we were really able to get a grip of. 

A strange one in that three different defenders scored for us, while two of our front players squandered several chances.

Still, four goals scored, the inside of the post hit, two goals disallowed and three one on ones missed. I suppose we can take that.

19 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Thought Kane done well. Linked up well. OK should have scored more than one but maybe a bit match fit rusty. I like a striker who gets into position to score goals and Kane did that. Match fittest and goals will come

Thought Jacobs once again was immense in the middle of midfield. Some of his passing and breaking up opposition attacks were a joy to see

Kane didn't score any goals tonight only striker to score was Del.

35 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Was motm announced? Jacobs would have got it for me. His passing was hurried at times but he completely bossed the midfield and continually broke up play. Marshall would be a close second.

No man of the match. Irn Bru werent represented and it wasnt televised. They have rights to award it for their cup.

I would have gone for Marshall.

For me the players that excelled tonight were Carmichael and Marshall . Looks like Danny has finally  come out of his shell , he was inventive , accurate and ferret like. Marshall as well was a power horse. Liked the new loan boy Kane ; top notch.  

15 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Dobbie out

In all seriousness does he need to play everygame?Why not start Lyle and Kane on Saturday,Wouldn't say either deserve to be dropped?

Obviously all 3 could play but if pick two why does it have to be Dobbie and someone?

ETA:Is this controversial?

Not controversial at all. :o

It is stupid though. Our team is short on quality. Let`s make that better by leaving out the best player in the league.

10 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Not controversial at all. :o

It is stupid though. Our team is short on quality. Let`s make that better by leaving out the best player in the league.

If he's carrying a knock we don't need to be forced into playing him my point is

I don't think we are lacking quality upfront I like the idea of Lyle and Kane upfront.

3 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

If he's carrying a knock we don't need to be forced into playing him my point is

I don't think we are lacking quality upfront I like the idea of Lyle and Kane upfront.

If you`d made it clear that your view was based on Dobbie carrying a knock I`d be less horrified.

If Dobbie is fit then for me he must start.

Kane and Dobbie to start and Lyle from the bench is ideal from my point of view.

6 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Kane and Dobbie to start and Lyle from the bench is ideal from my point of view.

Would you drop Lyle after the Brechin and tonight performances?

Id agree Kane dobs should be our main Strikers but I don't feel like Lyle deserves to be dropped 

f**k it play all 3 and stick big Dykes up there aswell

Just now, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Would you drop Lyle after the Brechin and tonight performances?

Id agree Kane dobs should be our main Strikers but I don't feel like Lyle deserves to be dropped 

f**k it play all 3 and stick big Dykes up there aswell

Lyle remains a fine player for us, one of my favourite QOS players. It`s my view that he is a fantastic (better) option from the bench.

Tougher tasks ahead than Brechin and Airdrie. Not a dig at Lyle but Kane has been signed to play and for me Dobbie is a must.

I`d be delighted to find a system to play all 3 in the Championship but don`t think we have the overall quality to do that ;).

Dobbie out
In all seriousness does he need to play everygame?Why not start Lyle and Kane on Saturday,Wouldn't say either deserve to be dropped?
Obviously all 3 could play but if pick two why does it have to be Dobbie and someone?
ETA:Is this controversial?

Not at all. Dobbie has a really poor spell last year and we suffered as a result. Good to have options.

For me the players that excelled tonight were Carmichael and Marshall . Looks like Danny has finally  come out of his shell , he was inventive , accurate and ferret like. Marshall as well was a power horse. Liked the new loan boy Kane ; top notch.  

Marshall's first half performance was tremendous. Comfortably the best half of football I've seen from him. The ball in for the opening goal was a peach, and he was involved in several other excellent attacks. He should in theory improve under Naysmith and lets hope he does.

Carmichael as really shone in the roaming free role he has been given in the games against Airdrie and Brechin. He's very much a confidence player so hopefully he can keep this up for the tougher tests ahead.

Kane looks every bit the exciting signing we thought he would be. Slight concern that he's now missed a 1 vs 1 in each of the three halves he has played in, but once he gets off the mark he'll be fine. You could tell him and Dobbie both wanted a goal last night, and towards the end it was a bit ridiculous as they both turned into the greedy kid from the school playground.

Kerr looked superb and will probably be very unfairly be dropped on Saturday. Won all his aerial battles and looked very assured on the ball.

I'm still not sure the point of playing Fordyce at right-back other than, he wanted to play Kerr but not drop Fordyce. He did okay, but it was clearly the performance of a centre back playing right back. I hope we don't see it again except in an emergency. Rooney did well when he came on.

Archived