DOONHAMERS V DIAMONDS Challenge Cup Tue 15/08/2017

Probably not high on most peoples' agenda but what are the fans' feelings about this game. Queens were fairly disappointing against lower League/non League opposition in the League Cup section, a late push seeing off Stenny in the first game, and I think Airdrie will provide another tough challenge in this competition. Whether or not you agree with the format of this competition it is another trophy to play for and probably the best chance we, and other "diddy," teams have of lifting a bit of silverware. I wonder if Gary will give our two loan signings a run out from the start. I'll go for a narrow home win.     

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we'll rest Dobbie, Martin, Lyle and one of the defence for this match. I expect Kane and Kerr to play from the start, with Carmichael, Stirling and Murray vying for the other two starting positions. Could be another tight home match. Is there extra time and penalties at the end of this if there's a draw at 90 mins?

I think Lyle will stsrt after being substituted on Saturday. I would like to see him and Kane tried up front. I believe the match is played to a finish on the night with extra time and penalties if required. Hopefully we can get the job done in regulation time. 

13 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Think Starting 11 will look something like Leighfield Mercer Fordyce Kerr Marshall Rankin Jacobs Carmichael Stirling Lyle Kane.

Naysmith said in his post Dundee interview there would be three or four changes, at least, so you might not be far away.

Although it would be good to give Kerr a run out I would keep the same back four. The more game time they get together the better. 

I hope Carmichael and Stiring get starts and up front it will almost certainly be Kane + 1

If Martin is still not 100% I'd expect to see Leighfield but if he's fully fit I imagine he'll be starting.

It would be nice to get a look at the new CB but I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't swap it given Brownlie and Fordyce seem to be doing ok together. I wouldn't really change the backline at all tbh. Mercer looked the worst player on the park against Albion so unless Conroy is hiding at LM for Airdrie these days I wouldn't even play him here.

I'd be tempted to give Jesse a start and the midfield could be anything tonight. It's comfortably our weakest area IMO so I can't say I'd be outraged with any starting 4. As long as Jacobs is in the middle.

Would like to see Kane and Dobbie start.

Hopefully a win and a clean sheet in 90 minutes. And no daft fouls around the box as Conroy will be a stick-on to score.

On 8/14/2017 at 08:33, Mr X said:

Naysmith said in his post Dundee interview there would be three or four changes, at least, so you might not be far away.

Although it would be good to give Kerr a run out I would keep the same back four. The more game time they get together the better. 

I hope Carmichael and Stiring get starts and up front it will almost certainly be Kane + 1

Agree with this.  

I'd be quite keen to see Leighfield avoid becoming another Jim Atkinson who must have broken records for the most appearances on the bench for us.  This competition is the best opportunity to give him a bit of competitive game time.  Having a "cup goalkeeper" is quite common these days and it is a route I'd like to see us go down.  In this cup anyway.

Leighfield

Rooney Brownlie Fordyce Marshall

Stirling Jacobs Rankin Carmichael

Kane Lyle

Always want to see us do well but I would not be at all perturbed if we exited this competition.

Call me old fashioned, but I think it has lost its roots and been ruined and devalued by ' the suits' and is now merely a pilot scheme for their agendas for the Premier teams.

They are setting precedents with the U20 teams in an effort to get them into the League and setting precedents with cross-border competition to gain leverage for, I assume, the OF to have a better chance of cracking the English market.

Agree with this.  
I'd be quite keen to see Leighfield avoid becoming another Jim Atkinson who must have broken records for the most appearances on the bench for us.  This competition is the best opportunity to give him a bit of competitive game time.  Having a "cup goalkeeper" is quite common these days and it is a route I'd like to see us go down.  In this cup anyway.
Leighfield
Rooney Brownlie Fordyce Marshall
Stirling Jacobs Rankin Carmichael
Kane Lyle

I quite strongly agree with this team. I think Lyle and Kane would be an interesting starting lineup with Dobbie waiting on the bench if things aren't going well a good option to bring on.

I also agree with others and start the same back 4 and get working together more. I only going off the match highlights but rooney seems marginally better going forwards and in defence over mercer.

50 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Even the most delusional Airdrie fan wouldn't have suggested we'd get anything other than a defeat with Ryan still in the side.

Now where did I leave my meds.

Our record against lower division teams isnt great this season. I wasnt overly confident about tonight ... to be honest, Im still not 

I only going off the match highlights but rooney seems marginally better going forwards and in defence over mercer.

My take is he's far better at going forward than Mercer but only marginally better at defending. He must start ahead of him at every opportunity though.

Always want to see us do well but I would not be at all perturbed if we exited this competition.

I don't particularly care about this Cup either but I don't want our annual debate about it so that's all I'll say.

I will say that I hope we win tonight though as it's lower league opposition. Had we been away to a side in our division I wouldn't really care but we need to beat lower league teams, especially at home.

We've lost all our away games so far this season, and have lost comfortably to Championship sides Livingston and St. Mirren so I can't see us competing here.

With the departure of Andy Ryan today that leaves us with 19 year old Cammy Russell as the only striker in our squad to have started a senior game before. Not sure what the rules are in this competition in relation to trialists. Either way I reckon we're in for a scudding tonight.

Nobody up top to hold onto the ball will result in our young defence facing wave after wave of QoS attack.

My prediction: QoS 4 - 0 Airdrie

Archived