Top of the League Thread

42 minutes ago, PELE said:

Low seventies is usually enough to win it. East Fife's total is usually a play off spot. Might be the lowest mark for a league winner.

I'm sure it is the lowest points total ever for a L2 winning side. Not sure  if there's been lower in L1 or Championship.

Weird situation where there wasn't much between 4 or 5 sides for most of the season and all taking points off each other regularly.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at the league table here, we are on 76 points while Peterhead are on 73. Last year Arbroath won it with 66 points, the year before East Fife won with 62.
Whatever happens tomorrow, the Mo and Peterhead can hold their heads high on creating an exciting finale to the season.

How is tomorrow’s finale any more exciting than last seasons finale?

Well he hardly said that now did he.

I’m not sure, I thought he was meaning that because the two teams have amassed more points than the winners of the two previous seasons that the final day will be more exciting. Reading it back it doesn’t sound like that at all though so apologies.

For what it’s worth I think the Montrose team this season are better than our team last season, I think we’ve improved so much though and that’s why we are where we are this season. We’ve added Thomas O’Brien, Scott Martin, Swankie, Denholm, Mikey McKenna, Ryan Wallace, Leighton McIntosh and Blair Yule and lost guys like Jimmy Scott, Bryan Prunty, Malin, Hodge etc who all played a big part last season. Even McCord can barely get a game.

Be interesting to see what Montrose did if they came up. Might need to punt half of your title winning team which I’m sure will leave a lot of you with very mixed feelings.

But just get the job done first of course. Be nice to have the derby out with the 4th tier for a change. [emoji6]

Wouldn't argue Arbroath have pushed on again. As much as Dick gets stick from Mo fans he has proved himself many times over. If we do go up would you rather go up to the Championship via playoffs or stay where you are?

#theanguspound

Wouldn't argue Arbroath have pushed on again. As much as Dick gets stick from Mo fans he has proved himself many times over. If we do go up would you rather go up to the Championship via playoffs or stay where you are?

#theanguspound

Definitely the Championship. Be more pounds to be had up there. Even bottom place gets you 160k, plus 6,000 odd United fans and large travelling supports from Dunfermline/Falkirk/Raith and potentially Partick. Sure even Morton and ICT would bring good supports. Way too much money to turn your nose up at plus a whole load of new teams to play.

If you do come up and stay up we’d see you the season after next anyway. [emoji6]

Eta: don’t think we will win play off though

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Definitely the Championship. Be more pounds to be had up there. Even bottom place gets you 160k, plus 6,000 odd United fans and large travelling supports from Dunfermline/Falkirk/Raith and potentially Partick. Sure even Morton and ICT would bring good supports. Way too much money to turn your nose up at plus a whole load of new teams to play.

If you do come up and stay up we’d see you the season after next anyway. emoji6.png

Eta: don’t think we will win play off though

As a far flung fan, the biggest advantage would be the chance to watch your team on matches covered by BBC Alba, on iPlayer.

E.t.a. Take that back. Have just seen that their coverage last year amounted to three games!

Do concur with your opinion of United fans though.

Just reflecting on how long ago it is since Montrose FC won the league. (Not tempting fate here but just saying...)

Here is a photo I took of a Honda Civic this morning...

and the same model from when Montrose last won the league.

IMG_20180428_102341478_HDR.jpg

1987_Honda_Civic_(AH)_GL_hatchback_(2010-10-02).jpg

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How is tomorrow’s finale any more exciting than last seasons finale?

That's not what I meant. Merely pointing out that ourselves or Peterhead would have been over the line weeks ago in previous seasons.

14 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

If Montrose do go up and Arbroath don’t win the league 1 promotion playoff then all 4 Angus clubs will be in the same division. When was the last time that happened?

92/93

• 3 months later...

Archived