Sticking up for Scottish Football

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Scottish League should continue, with Celtic and Rangers in the league.

My only desire would be we could just have cross border cup with other nations, on top of the champions league European League and the Scottish domestic game, to give us more big sides to play. Be it the Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, France, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, or the Viking nations, or maybe teams from the English championship. . 

That is the next step I would like to see. 

Another thing to remember when people criticise Scottish football, is to look at all the massive clubs Scottish sides have beaten over the history of Scots clubs in Europe,. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Liverpool, AC Milan, Everton, West Brom, Celta Vigo, Cologne, Ajax, PSV, Copenhagen, Rosenborg, Ipswich, Bayern Leverkusen, Sporting Lisbon, Porto, Benfica, Juventus, Inter Milan, Basle, to name a few.  

Plus Elgin beat Bray in the Scottish Challenge Cup. 

Scottish Football is fucking magic. Forget about who wins the league, its going to be Celtic, we all know it and no one apart from Rangers fans give a shit. Unless someone has a Leicester City type season, that's not going to change anytime soon. Deh care.

My season expectations, or more like aspirations are as follows:

1. Win a Cup. Very possible. Celtic have an off day, get knocked out and Aberdeen would be favourites.

2. Getting into Europe. Happy days summer football.

3. Finish above Rangers in the league. Actually more likely than not. The self entitlement of their fans and the disparity in resources means finishing below The Famous is a huge GIRFUY. 

4. Beat Rangers every time we play them.

5. Beat Celtic 

Every team's fans have ambitions. Cup runs, Euro place, top 6, avoid relegation, beat rivals, beat an Ugly Sister. There is so much to play for and enjoy away from the league title. I doubt there is any other league in the world that produced as much happiness from a early season league match as Rangers 2012 2 Hibernian 3 did. Fucking Glorious.

1 hour ago, BACKOFTHENET said:

Another thing to remember when people criticise Scottish football, is to look at all the massive clubs Scottish sides have beaten over the history of Scots clubs in Europe,. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Liverpool, AC Milan, Everton, West Brom, Celta Vigo, Cologne, Ajax, PSV, Copenhagen, Rosenborg, Ipswich, Bayern Leverkusen, Sporting Lisbon, Porto, Benfica, Juventus, Inter Milan, Basle, to name a few.  

Plus Elgin beat Bray in the Scottish Challenge Cup. 

Eintracht Frankfurt as well - not too long after they were in the European Cup final at Hampden.  

Still the best ever comeback from a Scottish club (Kilmarnock) in any European competition IIRC. 4 goals down with 85 minutes to go.

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

Eintracht Frankfurt as well - not too long after they were in the European Cup final at Hampden.  

Still the best ever comeback from a Scottish club (Kilmarnock) in any European competition IIRC. 4 goals down with 85 minutes to go.

http://www.dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=50_years_ago_today&ID=6985

The Scottish League should continue, with Celtic and Rangers in the league.
My only desire would be we could just have cross border cup with other nations, on top of the champions league European League and the Scottish domestic game, to give us more big sides to play. Be it the Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, France, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, or the Viking nations, or maybe teams from the English championship. . 
That is the next step I would like to see. 

It already exists in a completely shit format called the Irn Bru Challenge Cup.

Maybe one way of making the scottish game better than it already is (Remember the big names that have came up here thinking its a cake walk and couldnt hack it - Joey barton, Roy Keane for example) Maybe put it in league rules that the ugly sisters cant sign anyone from another premier league club for less than a 7 figure sum, even on pre-contract for a 6 figure compenstation if the player has been there for more than 1 season. (Patiently waiting for the bile to come my way from septic and sevco supporters now saying why should they be the only clubs this applies to)

I believe this would have the following improvement in the league:

1. Would help the clubs with lower budgets get a cash flow injection if they lose a player to them to help with recruiting a replacement

2. Stop the moaning from septic fans/players/management/boardroom that there's no competition in the league. Maybe cause as soon as a team starts to feel threatening, Celtic nullify it by trying to take the teams best players . Eg - Armstrong, Mackay-steven, Cifti (Look what happened to united once that happened) Christie

3. Maybe by there being more competition from more teams. The teams going for Europe can progress further, better quality of player may be attracted to come north and not just for a retirement paycheck, and may get better TV deals (As long as the old firm dont sabotage that again)

And a plus maybe is there's a fairer reprensatation of scottish clubs in the national set up. As i'm pretty sure more than a few will agree with me that there are a few aberdeen/st johnstone/hearts/hibs players wo are starting week in/week out that are more worthy of a call up than guys from south of the border that hardly get any game time

None of this may help, But is just an idea

Archived