Sticking up for Scottish Football

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, cumbernauld red said:

Agree to some extent.  Was temporarily locked out of aberdeen accies game mid week because the home team had 'run out of tickets' and then treated pretty shabbily inside ground by stewards. But fans uniting? The repulsive song books dug out by the cheeks at Firhill last night and Fir Park last Sunday provide a pretty large wedge between fans in scotland.

The baggage the OF bring is to quote the late, great Ian Archer, "an occasional disgrace and a permanent embarrassment"

10 minutes ago, well91 said:

Any better tv deal would only be shared between the 2 cheeks of the same arse while the rest fought over the scraps they drop. If it doesn't involve "the well" then as far as I'm concerned 2 f**ks couldn't be given. Until the day same equality financialy you see in other leagues is shown in ours then there is no benefit to the rest of Scottish football no matter how great a deal could be achieved.

Totally agree.

Unless distribution becomes fairer, I couldn't care less what we get overall.

No live games at all and a good highlights programme on a Saturday night, with MOTD on afterwards.  Get a few quid from the BBC for it.

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

It's difficult to stick up mind when appalling decisions like last nights 'no penalty' happens to prop up the bigoted teams

It was hardly a stonewaller ffs and people are still debating about it. Total heads gone posting about in this bloody thread though.

On 13/08/2017 at 11:09, DA Baracus said:

Yesterday was a perfect example of why Scottish football is so enjoyable. Mad results and incidents all across the 4 leagues

It was also a glaring example of the huge problem with Scottish football. 

We had some great games with absolutely zero media coverage.  Even ignoring the fact that Rangers-Hibs wasn't on live (their previous encounter being match of the decade and ending in a pitch invasion, you'd have thought tv companies would be able to get over their thing about not showing live games at Ibrox) there were no highlights shown until 30 hours after the game. 

It's 2017. That's ridiculous.  If you wanted to see the goals on Saturday you had to watch a crap quality YouTube video with that Rangers tv commentary.  And even when we do get highlights the next day, it's 5 minutes with canned commentary. 

Again, it's 2017.  How is it possible to be so bad at selling your product with all the media options available? 

Hell, we couldn't even listen to the game on the radio because no one at the SPFL has the balls to tell Rangers they have to allow all media access to their ground. 

That's not to mention all the other games that appeared excellent but we'll never get to see.  It's genuinely incredible that we are so unwilling to let people in Scotland actually see any Scottish football.  

11 minutes ago, tamba_trio said:

you'd have thought tv companies would be able to get over their thing about not showing live games at Ibrox)

It's one of those rumours that used to go around that the bigot brothers wouldn't allow homes to be televised and it was always shot down as typical diddy paranoia. Last week though Derek Rae tweeted that it is written into the tv contract that they get fewer home games shown live than all the other clubs. Given it's likely that two of those will the Bigotfests they only have to show a couple of other games throughout the season.

But of course no clubs in Scotland are treated any differently from the others...

5 hours ago, 7-2 said:

It's one of those rumours that used to go around that the bigot brothers wouldn't allow homes to be televised and it was always shot down as typical diddy paranoia. Last week though Derek Rae tweeted that it is written into the tv contract that they get fewer home games shown live than all the other clubs. Given it's likely that two of those will the Bigotfests they only have to show a couple of other games throughout the season.

But of course no clubs in Scotland are treated any differently from the others...

It's clearly been in place a long time, but it's interesting to read that it's actually an official term of the contract.

It means of course that only the other teams take the hit on their gates and have their home games shifted about as regards kick-off times.  Another way in which the already massively advantaged OF get further favoured.  And it's meant to be a competition.

It's disgusting really when you think about it.

Well done to alba for taking on lower league games, might not get much of an audience for some games, but are a few folk on here and elsewhere that will sit and watch it because its scottish football, and not hyped up english games.

The other thing about sticking up for scottish football is how well edinburgh city done last year, would have been a disaster had they came up and just flopped back down. Aye i know they have a lot of older pros, but fair play to them for being able to attract them. I know they haven't had the best start to this year, but if they can establish themselves in the league, it would show the pyramid system could work.

(Feel free to refer back to this and call me a jinx when they get relegated)

I think what gets people's goats re the tv deal is the amount that Scottish subscribers are paying in to BT and Sky for the meagre return they get with regard Scottish football. That's without comparing it to the EPL TV deal which is, as has been mentioned several times in this thread, pointless.

People just need to get to more games. If the Dons are away and I'm not going. I'll try get to a highland league game if I'm not working. I appreciate that not everyone can go every Saturday and there perhaps needs to be more encouragement.

Football fans I'd imagine are a large percentage of the rail networks passenger traffic on any given Saturday. Could there not be some sort of small discount given to those travelling with a match ticket.

I think what gets people's goats re the tv deal is the amount that Scottish subscribers are paying in to BT and Sky for the meagre return they get with regard Scottish football. That's without comparing it to the EPL TV deal which is, as has been mentioned several times in this thread, pointless.

People just need to get to more games. If the Dons are away and I'm not going. I'll try get to a highland league game if I'm not working. I appreciate that not everyone can go every Saturday and there perhaps needs to be more encouragement.

Football fans I'd imagine are a large percentage of the rail networks passenger traffic on any given Saturday. Could there not be some sort of small discount given to those travelling with a match ticket.

There certainly used to be deals like that through some of the English rail franchises for football fans travelling so not unreasonable to think that it could work.

There certainly used to be deals like that through some of the English rail franchises for football fans travelling so not unreasonable to think that it could work.

It's the fact you have to book up ages in advance to get a reasonable fare, then half the time the game gets shifted for tv. Absolutely no reason why it couldn't work.

It's the fact you have to book up ages in advance to get a reasonable fare, then half the time the game gets shifted for tv. Absolutely no reason why it couldn't work.

It's a pain in the arse. Two of us can drive to say Dingwall for less than it costs one of us on the train. In an ideal world I'd get the train to lots of games but just not worth it.

2 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Well done to alba for taking on lower league games, might not get much of an audience for some games, but are a few folk on here and elsewhere that will sit and watch it because its scottish football, and not hyped up english games.

As far as BBC Alba are concerned if they get just 15,000 viewers that'll be about 14,000 more than their usual audience. Showing football on this channel is, I suspect, something of a cynical ploy to boost their 'monthly reach'.

Archived