Cowdenbeath vs Edinburgh City

Cowdenbeath host Edinburgh City on Saturday at Central Park, both teams looking for their first win of the season.

Cowden will be looking to build on a decent point collected up in Elgin last weekend.

Whereas, City were absolutely dreadful for the first hour in going down 1-3 at home to Montrose.

It's a game which could go either way, and I'm really looking forward to it!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's weird that I'm feeling confident about a match!  I think defensively we are in decent shape it's just going to be whether or not our young attackers can get the goals.

I predict a narrow 4-0 win for The Blue Brazil. Muirhead hat-trick and Morris to get off the mark with a brace.

Another draw in store I reckon. Although defensively we are better we are still weak down left side. We have signed a couple of loan players all really young lads. We need 2 or 3 experienced players not 35 or 36 but even 28-30 age bracket. Defenitely need signings for left side and a striker for sure.

Will be the same line up I would assume with Morris maybe going coming in for the young lad connelly.

A message to the players of Edinburgh City Football Club

598d9a4cc11d7_letsgetoutthere.png.60a17c880cf25149e4cee2a67e0911d6.png

If we don't have a defence and players that can potentially score goals then it's better to go for it and win 4-3 than lose 2-0.

However I fear for the sanity of our club captain judging by this quote in the News though:

“You’d probably expect Cowdenbeath to be challenging. I know they had a poor season by their own standards last year, but I’d expect them to be challenging for the size of club they are at this level." :blink:

Both teams will score I think.  There's no way City can keep a clean sheet, but also we've got enough with Ashley Grimes and Lewis Allan to score one or hopefully two!

Most likely result for me is 1-1 draw but wouldn't be surprised with 2-1 either way, but which way?

19 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

If we don't have a defence and players that can potentially score goals then it's better to go for it and win 4-3 than lose 2-0.

However I fear for the sanity of our club captain judging by this quote in the News though:

“You’d probably expect Cowdenbeath to be challenging. I know they had a poor season by their own standards last year, but I’d expect them to be challenging for the size of club they are at this level." :blink:

Spot on.  Glad to see we're finally being recognised for the fallen giants we are.  #bluebrazil

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

I read the interview with Josh in the News, he is obviously saying that as we had spent quite a few seasons in the Championship and this is only on 2nd season in this league since 2009.

It was actually a decent interview.

2 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

City could really do with getting some defenders back fit. That makeshift defence was a big factor in a pretty resounding doing last week. Score draw for me.

I went over to the game last week as I couldn't make it to Elgin. It is a much changed City side from last season, 1st goal from Templeman was perhaps a bit unlucky from a City point of view with the ball bobbling in front of Antell when he dived. 2nd one I thought CJ done well to cut in and slot the ball to McLaren. 3rd was a well placed free kick from Campbell.

City did seen dis-joined while the Mo were more of a unit, although losing 2 goals in 2 minutes didn't help them!

Have a feeling City will miss the influence of both big Joe and Dougie Gair who were both good leaders in their own right.

As for tomorrow its the sort of game which could go either way although I think it will be a tight score with a 1 goal win for either side or a draw.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I went over to the game last week as I couldn't make it to Elgin. It is a much changed City side from last season, 1st goal from Templeman was perhaps a bit unlucky from a City point of view with the ball bobbling in front of Antell when he dived. 2nd one I thought CJ done well to cut in and slot the ball to McLaren. 3rd was a well placed free kick from Campbell.

City did seen dis-joined while the Mo were more of a unit, although losing 2 goals in 2 minutes didn't help them!

Have a feeling City will miss the influence of both big Joe and Dougie Gair who were both good leaders in their own right.

As for tomorrow its the sort of game which could go either way although I think it will be a tight score with a 1 goal win for either side or a draw.

I think City might struggle this year. I was at the game last week too and we were down to the bare bones in terms of players but we were still by far the better team for most of the game. City did, however, seem to be at least be more attacking (certainly towards the end), whereas last year the game I saw they were ultra-defensive. City do seem to lack experienced players (at this level) and unless they bring in a few quickly they will struggle.

From Hibs website a year or two back re development squad:

Alasdair Smith (midfielder, born: 13.4.1998, Edinburgh)

May said: “Ali plays a deeper role in midfield – he’s very physical, athletic and can use the ball well.

“During the upcoming season, hopefully he can use all his attributes and move forward.

“He overcame injuries to play very well for the under-17s. He is a ball-winning midfielder and I’m sure he’ll do very well playing against older players – he will meet that challenge.”

31 minutes ago, Kierkegaard said:

From Hibs website a year or two back re development squad:

Alasdair Smith (midfielder, born: 13.4.1998, Edinburgh)

May said: “Ali plays a deeper role in midfield – he’s very physical, athletic and can use the ball well.

“During the upcoming season, hopefully he can use all his attributes and move forward.

“He overcame injuries to play very well for the under-17s. He is a ball-winning midfielder and I’m sure he’ll do very well playing against older players – he will meet that challenge.”

He played on the right wing against Elgin. 

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

Ya dancer. One nil to the Blue Brazil. How did we play?

As Derek said, played well in the first half but City came into it in the second without actually troubling us. Can't think of McGovern actually having a save to make. 

Cammy Muirhead could be a very good player for us - great play for the goal and looks comfortable on the ball. 

Good result City came more into things the 2nd half without troubling McGovern. I would say City played better today than they did against the Mo last week, Beattie had a good game in in new centre half role.

4 points more than we had at this time last season so can't complain.

Very happy with how we looked today, played some really good football first half and it looks like we have  ditched the constant hoof-ball from last season, very very impressed with cammy muirhead looks confident and comfortable on the ball and his trickery for the goal was a joy to watch , David Syme also looks like he plays for the shirts , both the new boys and the trialist had a good game (apparently trialist is brad smith formally of dundee united and had a loan spell at albion rovers last season). Billy Browns passion in the dugout is something we have missed for the last few seasons never once was he not shouting instructions to the players, early days yet but i am feeling optimistic about the season in regards to last just need a few experienced heads in. 

Archived