Mid to late 20's existential crisis

I think the key to happiness is moving around. Since I left home I've lived in Aberdeen, Glasgow, Stirling, Leeds and Edinburgh (twice). The change of environment and chance to meet new people is always fun.

All fun till you reach 50 then realise you belong nowhere. No roots.
Would I change my nomadic life if I was able to live life over? Probably not.
So many experiences that makes you the person you become. Sometimes wish that I had a place to call home. But, maybe that's the price you pay for the chains you refuse.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a 96 year old ex SS Oberführer so I've had it all: career, money, women, then it all went horribly wrong and now I live with reduced means in Bernal, Argentina.

Enjoy life while you can you young pups!

Are you not living in a state of paranoia in case Mossad finally track you down?

8 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Have you experienced this sort of late-20's existential crisis?

You realise that your job/career isn't what you want to do so you pack it in. You're not married. You have no children. Everyone you grew up with has bought houses, cars, is married, has children etc and you still live in your maws house getting your ironing done for you. You have no idea what you want to do career wise.

No? Just me then. :lol:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. 

It's fine if they're all married by 27 by time they get to 31/32 they'll start to seoperate!

i realised other day I'm 35 next month. Divorced, 3 kids, don't have a career, rented flat. Slightly loopy.

You realise that your job/career isn't what you want to do so you pack it in. You're not married. You have no children. Everyone you grew up with has bought houses, cars, is married, has children etc and you still live in your maws house getting your ironing done for you. You have no idea what you want to do career wise.

First of all I would stop referring to any period of life you are experiencing as a crisis as that is going to have a negative psychological effect on your daily outlook which will only make matters worse for you. Secondly you aren't going through any sort of crisis because your job is shit, a real crisis would be if you hated your dead end job and had a kid to support whilst the woman you thought you would spend the rest of your life with is living in the house you paid for with the child she won't let you see, im pretty sure we all know someone that has got into that position and I certainly don't envy them!

As for the jobs/career part it's not your fault that has happened. The global financial system is set up specifically so ordinary people have to suffer so that a very few people in the world can be very very rich. A change is career might be good for you but all work is shit and nobody enjoys it.

All fun till you reach 50 then realise you belong nowhere. No roots.
Would I change my nomadic life if I was able to live life over? Probably not.
So many experiences that makes you the person you become. Sometimes wish that I had a place to call home. But, maybe that's the price you pay for the chains you refuse.

Growing up we never stayed in the same place long. I consider myself Aberdonian because I was born there and lived in the North East longer than I did anywhere else but as a kid I've lived all over the place, never staying in any for too long. I sometimes wonder if that's why I've felt the urge to move fairly regularly. I make friends pretty easily and have folk I'm close with pretty much everywhere I've lived, and most places I've lived as an adult has been fairly close to each other.

My wife is the opposite I guess though. Her parents still live in the only house she had ever lived in until she left home at 17. But she's just like me, likes moving around and doesn't like staying in the same place too long, despite coming from somewhere as anchored as she did.

59 minutes ago, Rowan said:

It's fine if they're all married by 27 by time they get to 31/32 they'll start to seoperate!

i realised other day I'm 35 next month. Divorced, 3 kids, don't have a career, rented flat. Slightly loopy.

Slightly?

9 hours ago, Shades75 said:

I walked out of a job I'd been in for 5 years when I was 27.  I hated every second of it and it was nibbling at my soul, daily.  I had no job, gave up my rented flat, moved back into my parents house, single, with next to f**k all, a few grands worth of debt and companies chasing me for it.  I thought I was fucked.

I'm 41 now.  I've got my own business, own my own house and planning on moving to a bigger one next year.  I'm married with an 8 year old boy who is the apple of my eye. I've got a nice car, no debt and a few Quid in the bank.  Sounds great eh?

I work all the hours god sends.  Even when I'm not working I'm thinking about it.  My knees are fucked and my back periodically packs in.  So does my wife.  I worry about my pension, interest rates, Brexit, the economy crashing and Donald Trump blowing us all up.

I have a shit load more "stuff" than I did when I was 27 but at 27 I could go on a three day bender, recover in a day or two and have no-one to answer to.

I really couldn't tell you, in all honesty, that I'm happier now than I was the day I jacked that job in.  Even though, by some measures, I'm supposed to be.

Never mind, you'll drop dead soon. BANG! No warning. Stress induced stroke. There's worse ways to go.

10 hours ago, TartanTyneArmy said:

26. Single. Exiled in England 170 mile from home. Strolled through graduate years in my profession, now hit a plateau and starting to realise that without a career change I've got at least another 40 years dealing with the same stuff day in day out. 

Biweekly outings to the fitba keep me sane.

I retire in 3 months (or even sooner if I can get out) after 44 years of different stuff, same shite every day (every hour, even). Can't say I'll miss it.

I'm 39 now and am pretty happy. I've lived with my partner for nearly 12 years and we still get on brilliantly but are considering fucking that up by getting married soon.

We don't have any of the other stuff, we rent our flat, we aren't having kids our only real possessions are our furniture and our car. That suits us as we'd like to move in the near future, try somewhere a bit different and I think it'd be good to go abroad for a bit.

When I was 25/26 I had a bit of a "what am I doing" moment as I was working in shit jobs in finance, an industry I still hate with a passion. I decided to go back to uni (left after 1st Year the first time around). Best decision I made, I now work in librarianship for a University and enjoy it.

Some people looking at it would think I'm a failure for not having the whole house/kids thing but I learnt early on that I didn't want those things and I think I'm happier for having decided when I was younger that I'd basically only do what I want.

11 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I moved to another country. Seems to have worked out so far. Perhaps to resurface as a mid to late 30's existential crisis under similar circumstances but with better weather.

I can't remember who it was that said it, but it's true, we always want what we don't/can't have, and then when we finally get it, we don't want it!

I had children young and got married young, that went tits up last year. I went through a period of six months wondering if I was going to die alone, or ever afford a house, was in a shite place mentally. I turn 29 next month.

Fast forward twelve months after moving out of the marital home, I have recently moved to a new house (still privately rent), but I think I am happier than I have been in the last couple of years.

I still get to see my kids loads and whenever I want really, and get to do whatever I want on the days I am on my own. I love not having to ask permission to do anything or getting earache if I go out and get MWI and not call home or whatever.

My career is decent enough, I don't see myself ever working for another organisation. Maybe not the job I see myself staying in forever, but will remain in Finance.

My only gripe is not having enough money, my rent is pretty expensive, as is my council tax, so rather than being able to put money away each month I regularly run out of money a few days before I get paid, which is shite.

I think a lot of single guys are in the same boat OP, don't sweat it, we're all winging it anyway.

Archived