Mid to late 20's existential crisis

27 is young - get yourself or keep yourself fit and healthy, and try to stay that way.
Work out what you want to do, and go for it.
In the choice between career and happiness, always go for the pussy. 

Aye, I've got hundreds of birds banging down the door and the boss throwing money at me every day...

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, paranoid android said:

27 is young - get yourself or keep yourself fit and healthy, and try to stay that way.

I started going to the gym four months ago and go there most days and I'm loving it. I'm a lot fitter and slimmer than I was. I used to be nearly 15 stone and smoked 20 a day and couldn't even run. Now I can run comfortably.

I became a dad for the first time at 27 then procedeed to have another two in quick succesion.

Split with my wife about two years ago and my 14 year old daughter was teasing me the other day about getting on tinder and things like that...my response entailed a 'f**k that' type answer, after 15 plus years with her mum im really enjoying being able to do what I want when I want, go to pub/football/trips abroad whenever I like without having to reason or justify it to anyone.

While my 30's were my most rewarding in terms of getting married and having a family they were definetely the most stressful and financialy draining as well. Quite enjoying having my life back to an extent, still get my kids regularly and they take turns at staying at mine a few days at a time but its mostly stress free now...40 and fabulous :D

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

I started going to the gym four months ago and go there most days and I'm loving it. I'm a lot fitter and slimmer than I was. I used to be nearly 15 stone and smoked 20 a day and couldn't even run. Now I can run comfortably.

Guid lad - any idea what you want to do with your life?

Just now, paranoid android said:

Guid lad - any idea what you want to do with your life?

When I was younger I wanted to be a writer of some description because it was something I always enjoyed doing and I was reasonably talented at it. I started writing a novel a long time ago but shelved it.

Unless you're either ridiculously lucky or very good it's a hard profession to get a foothold in.

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

When I was younger I wanted to be a writer of some description because it was something I always enjoyed doing and I was reasonably talented at it. I started writing a novel a long time ago but shelved it.

Unless you're either ridiculously lucky or very good it's a hard profession to get a foothold in.

SlayerX >>>Richey.

7 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

As you say, it's a tough game - can you write as a hobby, and see how that goes?

I walked out of a job I'd been in for 5 years when I was 27.  I hated every second of it and it was nibbling at my soul, daily.  I had no job, gave up my rented flat, moved back into my parents house, single, with next to f**k all, a few grands worth of debt and companies chasing me for it.  I thought I was fucked.

I'm 41 now.  I've got my own business, own my own house and planning on moving to a bigger one next year.  I'm married with an 8 year old boy who is the apple of my eye. I've got a nice car, no debt and a few Quid in the bank.  Sounds great eh?

I work all the hours god sends.  Even when I'm not working I'm thinking about it.  My knees are fucked and my back periodically packs in.  So does my wife.  I worry about my pension, interest rates, Brexit, the economy crashing and Donald Trump blowing us all up.

I have a shit load more "stuff" than I did when I was 27 but at 27 I could go on a three day bender, recover in a day or two and have no-one to answer to.

I really couldn't tell you, in all honesty, that I'm happier now than I was the day I jacked that job in.  Even though, by some measures, I'm supposed to be.

16 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Almost every writer wrote a few books while doing a full time job before being able to make a living out of it. You lazy c**t.

18 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

I walked out of a job I'd been in for 5 years when I was 27.  I hated every second of it and it was nibbling at my soul, daily.  I had no job, gave up my rented flat, moved back into my parents house, single, with next to f**k all, a few grands worth of debt and companies chasing me for it.  I thought I was fucked.

I'm 41 now.  I've got my own business, own my own house and planning on moving to a bigger one next year.  I'm married with an 8 year old boy who is the apple of my eye. I've got a BMW, no debt and a few Quid in the bank.  Sounds great eh?

I work all the hours god sends.  Even when I'm not working I'm thinking about it.  My knees are fucked and my back periodically packs in.  So does my wife.  I worry about my pension, interest rates, Brexit, the economy crashing and Donald Trump blowing us all up.

I have a shit load more "stuff" than I did when I was 27 but at 27 I could go on a three day bender, recover in a day or two and have no-one to answer to.

I really couldn't tell you, in all honesty, that I'm happier now than I was the day I jacked that job in.  Even though, by some measures, I'm supposed to be.

w****r

Archived