'The Ross Draper Experience featuring Ross County' vs 'The Famous Aberdeen'

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No complaints about the result, Aberdeen the better side and controlled the midfield, the pressing whenever we had the ball was simple yet effective and Reynolds goal was well hit.  No idea how it seemed to be Midge who was defending the cross against Logan for the 2nd but there was only ever going to be one winner on that one.

Pros

• Curran's work ethic is superb to watch, he has the energy of a young, hyperactive golden retriever, constantly chasing down everything and is remarkably strong in holding up the ball. 
  • Jim O' Brien beard is a thing of wonder, so thick and luscious.  He can also strike the ball, pretty sure that crossbar is still vibrating from his effort.
  • Draper is bigger than I remember (ahem......phrasing!!)

Cons

• May get lambasted for this but Routis is a luxury player and at times he doesn't work hard enough to get back, I personally would prefer O'Brien playing instead.
  • Asking Schalk to play a target man role is not playing to his strength, much better with the ball being played into his feet than up in the air. 
  • Playing Micklesen at the moment is like going a man down such is his lack of influence on the game.

11 minutes ago, bpdon said:

Really? Except during the all important assist for the winning goal?

5 minutes ago, Reina said:

I thought GMS was brilliant today. He certainly wasn't owned by anyone.

I should have said for the first hour, GMS grew into the game.  He barely got a sniff in the first half.

I thought GMS was brilliant today. He certainly wasn't owned by anyone.

Aye, he was good today going forward and defensively in a game that was a tough battle. Certainly not a fairy like GMS performance that many predicted we would see in tussles like today.

I enjoyed the game today. County gave us a tough time all over the pitch and were unlucky not to pinch a point with that late ripper off the bar (was it JOB?)

12 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I really bloody love Shay Logan. Hear he didn't have a great game but he's definitely one of my all time favourite players.

Loved when he came over to us after the full time whistle, he was so passionate. Love him.

1 hour ago, bpdon said:

I concur with the County comments above - Shalke was out of his depth today but he still managed to squeeze in his obligatory comedy dives.

I would suggest that Dons fans should think twice before raising the issue of diving.

Having calmed down re the Schalk/Mikkelson debacle today I thought it would be magnanimous to recognise how well O'Connor played today. No one has mentioned him but he was excellent throughout - one day he could be as good as Andrew Davies.

anyone got any highlights?

The goals are on the By The Minute Aberdeen Twitter. On the phone so cannae link you but they're worth watching. GMS's cross for the second is my favourite bit. Inch perfect from a really difficult angle.

County fans, Routis is a player I'm interested in. I signed him in FM and he was banging, and he seems to get a lot of goals irl. I have him in my fantasy team. Seen him described as a luxury above. Is this the consensus? He's a player I've taken to since he arrived anyway, despite not seeing very much of him.

4 hours ago, Jayhawks said:

Having calmed down re the Schalk/Mikkelson debacle today I thought it would be magnanimous to recognise how well O'Connor played today. No one has mentioned him but he was excellent throughout - one day he could be as good as Andrew Davies.

I agree with you about O'Connor, thought he was excellent today

Guest Bob Mahelp

Delighted with the 3 points from what is always a tough away game. 

2 years we ago we would have lost that game, so the improvement in the side is there for everyone to see. 

That's 3 wins from 3 games without really playing that brilliantly and while bedding in new players and rotating the team. 

Pleasing. Pleasing. 

Surprisingly little comment about Stevie May in here. I was quite impressed with what he offered yesterday. He looked sharper, quicker, and fitter than I expected.

In his post match interview he alluded to our 4-5-1 formation being perfect for him. He thinks the attacking 3 or 4 players(May/GMS/Stewart/Christie) are all capable of rotating positions with fluidity during the games.

Aberdeen did to Linsday what they used to do to Paul Lawson, everytime he got the ball there was man on him, he's not gotten used to this yet, but I think he'll learn.

Our midfield seemed to vanish in the second half, whenever O'Connor headed the ball out of the box, an Aberdeen player would pick it up on the edge of the D and their wouldn't be a County player for yards.

No complaints about the result overall, beaten by the better side.

Very magnanimous from the County fans on here so I will attempt to be so in victory.

Absolutely delighted to pick up three points after the first 15-20 minutes. In that period, Ross County thoroughly dominated us and had a field day in the wide areas. Our wingers didn't help our full backs at all in that time and County used that as a good base.

However as the first half went on, we grew into the game deservedly. This led to a second half of real domination and a deserved victory.

For us, O'Connor was very good as was Tansey, Shinnie and May. May's link up play was a joy to watch so that was very pleasing for the future. GMS eventually grew into it and his cross for the winner was superb for Logan.

Despite his outstanding finish, Mark Reynolds still looked quite shaky at the back particularly under the high ball. Quite worrying but the effect of playing with Ash Taylor is clear to see.

County will be very much fine this season, a lot of positives in their play yesterday. Fraser and Davies are excellent centre halves to build a team on.

Pleasing to get the win all in. Particularly with the Haggis Pie and Sausage Roll adding so much to the spectacle

19 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

County fans, Routis is a player I'm interested in. I signed him in FM and he was banging, and he seems to get a lot of goals irl. I have him in my fantasy team. Seen him described as a luxury above. Is this the consensus? He's a player I've taken to since he arrived anyway, despite not seeing very much of him.

When he signed (last summer), Bradford City fans described him as a dreadful centre-back but a potentially useful holding midfielder. McIntyre signed him as a midfielder though.

I'm not entirely sure what role he is best suited to. He can pass the ball well (but is often wasteful, much like Martin Woods was), and he's a big guy. But he doesn't seem particularly suited to breaking up play and moving the ball out quickly. He dawdles and his positional awareness isn't great. That said, he's scored 4 goals and got a handful of assists since he arrived, which is nice. Tim Chow puts in a shift but has no footballing ability; Routis is lazy but has some footballing ability.

Take all this with a pinch of salt. I'm basing this on a handful of games (3 or 4 last season) and highlights. 

Watched the full match replay on RedTV. I thought, with the exception of the opening 10 or so minutes, we were the better team and deserved the win. 

Pleased that we managed to limit County's chances to a minimum after their goal, with O'Brien's long-range shot off the bar and Considine's poor header being the only two that really spring to mind.

Agree with the praise for O'Connor - he was resolute again, especially in the closing stages of the second half. I really like the balance to our midfield - Shinnie and Tansey are forging a strong partnership, and there is scope for plenty of rotation within our core. Probably Mackay-Steven's best showing in an Aberdeen shirt so far - inviting cross for Logan's goal and he worked hard throughout. May was industrious, but he was also clever in much of his movement - he should have scored the rebound from Tansey's free-kick in the second half, but the positives far outweighed the negatives from his performance. Reynolds will likely never score another goal like that in his career, but what a fine volley it was - looking at his expression during the celebration, I think he was even more surprised than anybody else that he had managed to execute it so perfectly. 

Archived