PSJFC v MFC 12.8.17

Just now, Jamie_Beatson said:

I think they had completely lost the fact that Wotherspoon was charging in at full pelt until it was too late.

Listening to Robinson after the game our argument appears to be that the ball was on the line when Carson handled it. It'll be interesting to see if we do actually appeal it.

McHugh's is a daft challenge given he's on a yellow.

Dunne's will surely be rescinded. That's an absolute shocker, even if it was a pen (which it isn't) a yellow would have sufficed.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought the third sending off was harsh at the time. Even if there's contact it didn't look overly deliberate.

I was surprising the reaction to the second - the most stick on of the lot.

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'll have a go at it, just devil's advocating. It's difficult to tell given the angle of the camera but you know when players are taking corners and place the circumference of the ball on the very edge of the quadrant? Is there a chance that going by that photo *part* of the ball is on the line and therefore in the box?

Roaster Alert Look son you've had a bad enough day without adding to it by making an absolute c**t of yourself on a public forum.

No way will the hand ball be rescinded. Clearly outside the box. But lets make it clear. Cummins did not dive. He just Cummins'd it. Booted the ground when easier to score. Can only pray a clip knocked him off balance for his sake.

Glad that this match was shown on Alba. It was the first time I've been able to see this new-look Saints team in action.

It will take a bit of time for the team to adjust to a new shape, but I feel there's a lot of potential. Scougall looks like an intelligent wee footballer who could adapt to various positions along that advanced midfield area. Like others have said, I'd be quite keen to see him playing more centrally. Michael has really honed his craft and is no longer the slightly unintelligent raw talent who would only run in straight lines without thinking about his next move. MacLean's link-up play was good and, contrary to what some people may believe, he probably still has a good few years ahead of him if he can stay fit.

Paton did what Paton does. It's unglamorous but effective. Davidson's goal was very well-taken, perhaps quite uncharacteristically.

The defence was reasonably solid, although we looked vulnerable to set pieces and crosses into the box. Foster's distribution is a bit suspect at times, but he and Ando were certainly better than I anticipated after recently browsing the St. Johnstone Banter page.

We didn't control possession at any point in the match until Motherwell went down to 8 men. That's maybe part and parcel of a Davidson-Paton midfield partnership. Still, I felt that we maintained an element of control throughout the match and rarely looked to be overly threatened (but maybe that's because I already knew the score). On our occasional attacking forays, we looked more dangerous than Motherwell. 

So there are certainly a number of positives to take. We're top of the league, we'll improve as the season continues and Jewel #3 has still to arrive at the club.

I'd imagine the Carson one will be reduced to a yellow. Daft as f**k by him anyway.

The only logic for that is that it's not a clear goalscoring opportunity. If he keeper doesn't touch it what happens next? You can't argue that if he doesn't handle outside the box he'd do something legal instead as I've seen some claim on Twitter. That's like saying if I take you down deliberately when you're clean through it's not a red because I'd have put in a good tackle a second later.

Wotherspoon was at full speed and Kipre was trying to step across to block him off. The only possible follow on is that Wotherspoon gets on to the ball and is left with an empty net.

The only logic for that is that it's not a clear goalscoring opportunity. If he keeper doesn't touch it what happens next? You can't argue that if he doesn't handle outside the box he'd do something legal instead as I've seen some claim on Twitter. That's like saying if I take you down deliberately when you're clean through it's not a red because I'd have put in a good tackle a second later.

Wotherspoon was at full speed and Kipre was trying to step across to block him off. The only possible follow on is that Wotherspoon gets on to the ball and is left with an empty net.

That's exactly how i see it. Or Carson up ends Wotherspoon. Either way it's not ending well for the keeper.

Motherwell and their fans should be more concerned as to why he didn't just leather the ball out the park before any of this became an issue.

11 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

So you say you remove the keeper handling it, but you also remove him from the game totally.  If the keeper doesn't do what he does he has to obviously do something else.  Carson was getting the ball first in all scenarios, he just has an absolute brain fart  

37 minutes ago, LANG TOON SAINTIE said:

I can see you are hurting as well sweetie.4-1and three players sent off..Bad day at the office as Lomas would say..I take it that this result officially confirms that you are indeed our bitches 

Motherwell fans on here are, on the whole, good guys.  They have taken a tough day pretty well I'd say.

Let's save the goading for next week against Partick Thistle, who recently on here have been fannies where the mild mannered cultured Perthshire fans are concerned.

So you say you remove the keeper handling it, but you also remove him from the game totally.  If the keeper doesn't do what he does he has to obviously do something else.  Carson was getting the ball first in all scenarios, he just has an absolute brain fart  

Say Carson stays back and instead Kipre trips Wotherspoon as he runs on to the ball. There'd be no argument that it's red. It's a tricky one I agree, but you can only deal with the action he's carried out and not what he *might* have done had he not committed the foul. Same as if an outfield player commits a foul there.

FWIW because Carson was so far forward I'm not sure he'd have been in a position to do much of anything if he didn't handle it, save bringing down
Spoony!

47 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Glad that this match was shown on Alba. It was the first time I've been able to see this new-look Saints team in action.

It will take a bit of time for the team to adjust to a new shape, but I feel there's a lot of potential. Scougall looks like an intelligent wee footballer who could adapt to various positions along that advanced midfield area. Like others have said, I'd be quite keen to see him playing more centrally. Michael has really honed his craft and is no longer the slightly unintelligent raw talent who would only run in straight lines without thinking about his next move. MacLean's link-up play was good and, contrary to what some people may believe, he probably still has a good few years ahead of him if he can stay fit.

Paton did what Paton does. It's unglamorous but effective. Davidson's goal was very well-taken, perhaps quite uncharacteristically.

The defence was reasonably solid, although we looked vulnerable to set pieces and crosses into the box. Foster's distribution is a bit suspect at times, but he and Ando were certainly better than I anticipated after recently browsing the St. Johnstone Banter page.

We didn't control possession at any point in the match until Motherwell went down to 8 men. That's maybe part and parcel of a Davidson-Paton midfield partnership. Still, I felt that we maintained an element of control throughout the match and rarely looked to be overly threatened (but maybe that's because I already knew the score). On our occasional attacking forays, we looked more dangerous than Motherwell. 

So there are certainly a number of positives to take. We're top of the league, we'll improve as the season continues and Jewel #3 has still to arrive at the club.

Michael O'Halloran doesn't get enough credit for how good a footballer he actually is.  People think he's just pace, but his close control and strength when running with the ball flat out are absolutely top drawer. Seriously, how many players in this league can do it as well as him?

He's also an excellent finisher.

If we can get well organised, keep the ball better and be a bit more solid defensively, a player like him will be the difference between draws and nicking three points, as he's already shown, and should keep our title dreams alive at places like darkest Dingwall on a December day night.

Archived