East Stirling v Ayr United Reserves

callum-ayr

Good to see McCall isn't interested in this competition. Done well in the LC and still have the Scottish to come with League 1 the priority. Young guys getting a run out so hoping we shape up something like:
Avci
Waite Rose Reid Ferguson
Balfour McCowan Faulds
Hilton Forrest Murphy
Subs: Hart, Geggan, Boyle, Higgins, Gilmour, McGuffie, Moffat 

This would make sense then. We couldn't quite wrap our heads around the fact you're only 4/7. That's a huge price for you to be at. I would imagine your fringe players would still give us a good game. We struggled against the Falkirk 20s pre season

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:

This would make sense then. We couldn't quite wrap our heads around the fact you're only 4/7. That's a huge price for you to be at. I would imagine your fringe players would still give us a good game. We struggled against the Falkirk 20s pre season

Don't get me wrong, don't think we'll field that many young guys, but I'd like to see them out there.

How are you guys getting on?

Don't get me wrong, don't think we'll field that many young guys, but I'd like to see them out there.
How are you guys getting on?

Ah cool. Not started well, failed to score on saturday against a team we beat 10-1 last season. It was nice to keep a clean sheet though! I wouldnt imagine us causing you too many problems.

In two minds about this, in the one hand it's a sham of a tournament with the colt teams in it and we have a much more important game on Saturday however on the other hand it's a competition we have a semi realistic chance of winning and a trip to Ireland/Wales would be a good laugh. 

I'd play the youngsters and a few of the senior players who need game time.

Hart, Waite, Reid, Rose, Ferguson, Forrest, Faulds, Gilmour, McGuffie, Murphy, McCowan

13 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Were we planning on playing him?

Off the bench for 10 minutes was the plan.

Source:  BBC Sportsound podcast of Monday 14 August 2017.

Worth a listen, well the second half is, a proper discussion on Youth Football in Scotland, the first half is a disaster..

Looking forward to seeing how the Academy Players cope with first team football.  Hope they all play and that we win, obviously.  If we draw an u20 Team in the next round we should play our u17's to give them some experience.  ;)

In two minds about this, in the one hand it's a sham of a tournament with the colt teams in it and we have a much more important game on Saturday however on the other hand it's a competition we have a semi realistic chance of winning and a trip to Ireland/Wales would be a good laugh. 
I'd play the youngsters and a few of the senior players who need game time.
Hart, Waite, Reid, Rose, Ferguson, Forrest, Faulds, Gilmour, McGuffie, Murphy, McCowan

I was devastated when we drew you, was hoping to get a team we had a chance against then away to Ireland or Wales. We all dream of watching our team play away in Europe hahaha

1 hour ago, D.Armour Appreciation Society said:

Off the bench for 10 minutes was the plan.

Source:  BBC Sportsound podcast of Monday 14 August 2017.

Worth a listen, well the second half is, a proper discussion on Youth Football in Scotland, the first half is a disaster..

Looking forward to seeing how the Academy Players cope with first team football.  Hope they all play and that we win, obviously.  If we draw an u20 Team in the next round we should play our u17's to give them some experience.  ;)

Cheers for the confirmation. I didn't hear it, my mate text me about it. So premier colts are OK but not our promising, international youths?

24 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

Cheers for the confirmation. I didn't hear it, my mate text me about it. So premier colts are OK but not our promising, international youths?

Just a guess.  Premier Colts were probably registered at the outset, we were just too late, or at 15 he's too young.

Anyway, Mr. McColl didn't continue to press.  He should have, because the conversation was all about giving young players exposure to 'proper football'  and that is exactly what the Irn Bru Cup is all about, is it not.

56 minutes ago, D.Armour Appreciation Society said:

Just a guess.  Premier Colts were probably registered at the outset, we were just too late, or at 15 he's too young.

Anyway, Mr. McColl didn't continue to press.  He should have, because the conversation was all about giving young players exposure to 'proper football'  and that is exactly what the Irn Bru Cup is all about, is it not.

Well it is now! Used to be it was a chance for the smaller teams to win something!

40 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Not defending the SFA but I thought that 16 was the minimum age that a player had to be before they could play for their team not just in Scotland but most countries.

U20s teams were allowed to field 15 year olds in last season's Challenge Cup. It may be another one of these rule changes the SPFL didn't bother to inform clubs about. Then again, the SPFL and SFA are good at making things up as they go along.

1 hour ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Not defending the SFA but I thought that 16 was the minimum age that a player had to be before they could play for their team not just in Scotland but most countries.

Airdrie played 14 year old Jordan Allan against Livi a few years back and that was a record at the time for the youngest ever player ina  British professional match. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-match-reports/airdrie-0-livingston-2-livi-1858084

Will terracing behind the goal be open tomorrow night? Really cant be doing with sitting in a cramped stand.

I'm not sure. Possibly, usually against bigger teams they open it. Look forward to having a run in with the dick of a steward in the red jacket. He likes to spoil all the fun.

Archived