Curb Your Enthusiasm

Big Fifer

Finally got round to watching the most recent episode and have to say I found it pretty, pretty poor. Maybe it's because I'm not American, but I couldn't relate at all to the requirement to thank a soldier for his service or he'll be depressed. I felt that was contrived. The Asian looking baby and his relationship with the mail carrier fell flat too. 

I could relate to the angst about talking to a person you see every day once and then being trapped in a cycle of small talk. I also enjoyed the line about the horse whinny. That was about it in terms of highlights. 

Hadn't seen a single episode of CYE until last week, now working my way through the box set. 

Series 1 was so good and  excruciatingly funny. Half way through Series 2 and the standard just as high.

Larry is certainly an expert at getting into the most awkward situations.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Good news and bad news.

Good : Season 10 is due for release in UK in February next year.

Bad It's not on Sky Atlantic but the new Sky Comedy channel which you will have to pay for as an add on.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/08/21/44106/sky_to_launch_a_channel_dedicated_to_us_comedies

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2020 at 22:52, Mr X said:

Been meaning to give this a go for a while, so put on the first episode last night. Managed about 10 minutes before I binned it

It isn't for everyone. I remember giving my old boss the season 1 box set as I thought he would like it (he introduced me to Nighty Night after all) and he was the same - 10 minutes of "what is this all about?" before stopping.

Take the episode Thor from season 2 as an example. Hardly laughed at all during it, ended up on the floor at the end. It was all set up for one big laugh at the end. 

Yesterday's was OK but felt a wee bit forced (Larry, Jeff and Leon with their broken moths talking to the Mexicans was a bit obvious).

It isn't for everyone. I remember giving my old boss the season 1 box set as I thought he would like it (he introduced me to Nighty Night after all) and he was the same - 10 minutes of "what is this all about?" before stopping.
Take the episode Thor from season 2 as an example. Hardly laughed at all during it, ended up on the floor at the end. It was all set up for one big laugh at the end. 
Yesterday's was OK but felt a wee bit forced (Larry, Jeff and Leon with their broken moths talking to the Mexicans was a bit obvious).
Ep 3 was directed by Cheryl Hines, for first time ever. A possible explanation to it dipping below usual very high standard of show?!

On 12/02/2020 at 12:39, scottsdad said:

By "isnt for everyone" you mean pish?

On 12/02/2020 at 13:56, KnightswoodBear said:

I'm currently working my way through the box sets of this on Sky having never watched it properly before.  Just started S3.  It's unbelievably good.

The little girl giving him a hug whilst he has a water bottle down his trousers nearly ended me. 

On 12/02/2020 at 16:19, printer said:

That's a classic moment. emoji23.png

Sounds hilarious :rolleyes: