Montrose -vs- Stenhousemuir

This is a fixture I'm looking forward to. Montrose is one of the best away days in the calendar and it's been too damn long Stenhousemuir FC had the opportunity to visit.

I think we will find this a very tough encounter. Montrose have had a good start to the season and appear to be continuing on their upward curve under Stewart Petrie, while the Warriors haven't yet convinced. They played well enough in the first half against Stirling Albion but a tiring midfield and a fear of Callum Morrison saw they drop deep, defend anxiously and lose the game. That can't happen again and players like Mark Ferry and Nathan Blockley will have to sharpen up.

I imagine we'll go with the same line-up that started against the Binos, providing everyone's fit and available:

- Mark McGuigan - Jamie Longworth -

- Ruaridh Donaldson - Mark Ferry - Harry Paton - Nathan Blockley - Ross Meechan -

- Mick Dunlop - David Marsh - Ross Dunlop -

- Chris Smith -

I do wonder if the side has anything else to offer than playing long passes for Mark McGuigan to run onto, because we are very limited from the bench if things aren't going our way.

I'd take a point from this, in all honesty. The days of 2005/06 where we could just pitch up at Links Park and take five off the Mo are long gone.

Cannot see any changes to the team that started against the Binos.  We really are very limited as you say and already the fear of suspensions and injuries looms large. We could not put out a full bench last week so really need to get a couple of decent loan players in. Will not be an easy visit to Montrose, we all think we should do well but there are no easy gmes any more.

I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that this is still a team in its infancy. I didn't see much of the pre season but I thought first half on Saturday that we looked decent.We obviously want to avoid defeat but it is still early days. 

4 hours ago, beaver1 said:

I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that this is still a team in its infancy. I didn't see much of the pre season but I thought first half on Saturday that we looked decent.We obviously want to avoid defeat but it is still early days. 

First half was decent not denying that but the lack of alternatives is the issue. Still we have a few weeks to get it sorted.

7 hours ago, beaver1 said:

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact we have very few options either. Let's not bury our head in the sand.

If Scott is fit I'd play him instead of Ferry who looked leggy on Saturday. 

Looking forward to having Stenny at Links Park again. Been to some great games against them home and away over the years. Always had a decent bunch of fans so hope nowts changed there but I think (hope?) they might find us not such easy push overs this season. An important game even this early in the season. A win for the Mo opens a 6 point gap, a draw keeps it at 3 but a Stenny win puts them right back in the early season mix. If any team wants success it has to focus on every single game even this early in the season. No good waiting until April and saying 'if only.'

I think Montrose was always such an enjoyable day out as we knew we would roll up and give them a doing. I don't think anyone is expecting that this time as they are no longer the laughing stock they were back then.

From Hanky to Sandy Wood their keepers always had a howler against us.

4 hours ago, Neilly said:

I think Montrose was always such an enjoyable day out as we knew we would roll up and give them a doing. I don't think anyone is expecting that this time as they are no longer the laughing stock they were back then.

From Hanky to Sandy Wood their keepers always had a howler against us.

Still get cold sweats when you'd see Hankinson in the starting line up.

False memory syndrome. F.Y.I. though the Mo undoubtedly had their bad moments, they were never a "carry on" fitba team. And Dezzy's Stenny Simulators weren't exactly Barca either! Roll on Saturday. We fear no foe! 

5 hours ago, Brummo said:

False memory syndrome. F.Y.I. though the Mo undoubtedly had their bad moments, they were never a "carry on" fitba team. And Dezzy's Stenny Simulators weren't exactly Barca either! Roll on Saturday. We fear no foe! 

Pipe down chief, in 2005/06 we beat you 3-0, 6-2, 2-0 and 5-1.

We found that coming home on a Friday night before Montrose and just brought it with us.

The Akabusi Loyal Flag seems to have been lost which is quite sad. Would have looked lovely behind that goal at Montrose as well.

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

We found that coming home on a Friday night before Montrose and just brought it with us.

The Akabusi Loyal Flag seems to have been lost which is quite sad. Would have looked lovely behind that goal at Montrose as well.

Whatever happened to the flag? Last time I saw it was up at Forres Mechanics in the Scottish Cup.

I've no idea. Can you please put a plea out on the forum for any sighting.

In other news the Falkirk Herald reports Jimmy will be fit for the game.

The same Herald that captions a photo of Sean Dickson and Mark Ferry with "Jamie Longworth tries to get to grips with Stirling Albions Ewan McNeil".

What a paper.

5 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Pipe down chief, in 2005/06 we beat you 3-0, 6-2, 2-0 and 5-1.

So that constitutes referring to a team as a "laughing stock", as Neilly referred to it, does it?

It's a comment like that, leads me to think that you are the ones needing to "pipe down".

27 minutes ago, hellohellohowdoudo said:

Quick shout to all Stenny fans coming to the game tomorrow. The British Legion next to the ground will be doing food beforehand. All welcome

Can't believe the best pre-game pub in the Scottish lower leagues has somehow managed to get better.

Archived