match fixing

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's worse than that: https://www.thefreelibrary.com/FOOTBALL%3A+YOU+MIGHT+HAVE+LOST+MORE+GOALS+MATE%3B+Ex-Celt's+fury+at...-a0102337765

FURIOUS Celtic players accused Gordon Marshall of being a turncoat after they lost the title at Kilmarnock on Sunday. 
Marshall, a former Celt, was slammed at Rugby Park for not helping his old club leapfrog the goals advantage enjoyed by Rangers. 

He was reminded of his background and criticised for not letting it influence his performance as Celtic scored four goals but couldn't get enough to win the league flag.   Sports Record also understands that Kilmarnock and Celtic were at loggerheads in the build-up to the match after the Parkhead side demanded extra ball boys. Martin O'Neill's side wanted to ensure the ball was in play as much as possible to help their goal chase but Killie turned down their request. 

They then received an anonymous letter accusing them of pandering to Rangers. 

The revelations follow Celtic striker Chris Sutton's bitter outburst on Sunday when he accused Dunfermline of lying down to Alex McLeish's men in the 6-1 defeat which took the title to Ibrox. 

Last night Marshall, who was having his last game for the club and was made Kilmarnock's captain for the day, refused to go into specific details of what went on as players clashed in full view of startled match officials and onlookers. 

But he confirmed he had deep regrets over the undignified end to his Rugby Park career. 

Marshall said: "There are some Celtic players who I have no sympathy for. I was annoyed and outraged by some of the stuff that went on. 

Well Marshall is clearly a double agent. That game, his sensational saves on helicopter Sunday and throwing in 5 goals in 2005 League Cup final.

:ph34r:

8 hours ago, Romeo said:

No, watched the Dundee derby.

Thanks for sitting there in a drunk stupor thinking of me though, touching.

NSFW Forum for that sort of chat...

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's worse than that: https://www.thefreelibrary.com/FOOTBALL%3A+YOU+MIGHT+HAVE+LOST+MORE+GOALS+MATE%3B+Ex-Celt's+fury+at...-a0102337765

FURIOUS Celtic players accused Gordon Marshall of being a turncoat after they lost the title at Kilmarnock on Sunday. 
Marshall, a former Celt, was slammed at Rugby Park for not helping his old club leapfrog the goals advantage enjoyed by Rangers. 

He was reminded of his background and criticised for not letting it influence his performance as Celtic scored four goals but couldn't get enough to win the league flag.   Sports Record also understands that Kilmarnock and Celtic were at loggerheads in the build-up to the match after the Parkhead side demanded extra ball boys. Martin O'Neill's side wanted to ensure the ball was in play as much as possible to help their goal chase but Killie turned down their request. 

They then received an anonymous letter accusing them of pandering to Rangers. 

The revelations follow Celtic striker Chris Sutton's bitter outburst on Sunday when he accused Dunfermline of lying down to Alex McLeish's men in the 6-1 defeat which took the title to Ibrox. 

Last night Marshall, who was having his last game for the club and was made Kilmarnock's captain for the day, refused to go into specific details of what went on as players clashed in full view of startled match officials and onlookers. 

But he confirmed he had deep regrets over the undignified end to his Rugby Park career. 

Marshall said: "There are some Celtic players who I have no sympathy for. I was annoyed and outraged by some of the stuff that went on. 

So there is proof that certain Celtic players or officials tried to fix this match?

What action was taken by the SFA?

36 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

So there is proof that certain Celtic players or officials tried to fix this match?

What action was taken by the SFA?

Not quite.

Instead there was retrospective anger that someone hadn't been prepared to just chuck a game.  Still pretty disgraceful petulance on the part of the players concerned though.  

Who's your money on?

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not quite.

Instead there was retrospective anger that someone hadn't been prepared to just chuck a game.  Still pretty disgraceful petulance on the part of the players concerned though.  

Who's your money on?

A certain Ex Celtic and England stiriker who now works for BT sport / BBC . How poetic would that be?

Please name him Marshall

Obviously I am joking about the SFA enquiry but I am sure the story was the Celtic players were having a real go at Marshall during the game

Not got the stats to hand but , again iirc, Dunfermline away at Ibrox had more attempts on Goal than Killie playing at home against a lesser team. 

Seems there is far more compelling evidence that if match fixing was attempted it was from Sutton and his team mates / club

5 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

A certain Ex Celtic and England stiriker who now works for BT sport / BBC . How poetic would that be?

Please name him Marshall

Obviously I am joking about the SFA enquiry but I am sure the story was the Celtic players were having a real go at Marshall during the game

Not got the stats to hand but , again iirc, Dunfermline away at Ibrox had more attempts on Goal than Killie playing at home against a lesser team. 

Seems there is far more compelling evidence that if match fixing was attempted it was from Sutton and his team mates / club

I think we can safely say that the whole thing is an utter nonsense.

I can't be bothered with the actual debate but want to clear up this myth that Alan Thompson's penalty miss cost us the title. It didn't.

Edit: also just want to point out that "typical heavy defeat" would be irrelevant as proof against match fixing in this hypothetical world. If match fixing happened then it would be reasonable to suggest that match fixing was also the reason behind the other "typical heavy defeats"

On your second point (which doesn't really make much sense anyway - some teams have strong home records and hammer teams often there. You know, like Celtic do), we had a better record v Rangers under Calderwood than v Celtic.

Archived