Raith Rovers v Stranraer

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Raith took the foot off the gas after the 3rd(which looked offside by about 2 yards from where we were sitting,like to see  replay) and made us look better when the changes were made.I thought there was little wrong with the performance,personally I thought 19 year old Kyle Turner for us was outstanding,no wonder Aberdeen are interested and Steven Bell also played well.I think Faz has got the team just about right and actuallly thought Raith looked more dangerous than Thistle who we played a couple of weeks ago,looking forward to playing super Ayr next week at Stair Pk.BTW I hope your announcer gets a new PA system did I hear him say they couldn't afford one.[emoji38]

Who was your No 16, thought he had a good game.

Think the lad Lang would be an improvement to our defence , Barron and Hamil over the hill and make too many mistakes . Early days but I'm not over excited with what I've seen so far , might get better with time , 

4 hours ago, Le shocolate moose said:

Raith definitely deserved it but I think 3-0 flattered them a bit.. was a pretty even first half apart from raiths goal which I couldn't really see from where the away fans sit. Second half was poor . Raiths second looked as if the whole defence and Belford went for the same ball and none of them got it. 3rd goal the boy was about 10 yards offside before ball was even played . Hammil is very poor and just runs about like a headless chicken and gets out of position to much and Robertson is well off the boil compared to his form in the past few seasons. The majority of raiths attacks came down his side as he was playing as if he was drunk . Played a little better after the substitutions but by then it was far to late .. will be disappointed if there isn't changes made for Tuesdays game.

Agnew and Okoh getting sores from warming the bench. 

Someone here, I think, said we were in for a season of 0-0, and 1-0's. 

That's out of the window, today anyway. 

We're scoring no goals. Why bring a striker up from England, Okoh, then not play him ?

4 hours ago, Raithie said:

Osei btw, if this is the pick of the development squad then I'm worried. He seemed to have no idea where he was or what he was doing albeit only on the pitch for 5 minutes or so.

This is my concern. Every time I've seen him he has stuck out like a sore thumb. He just looks lost.

My fear is that we will find out this season that the development league is quite a poor standard.

I wasn't at the game today so I don't know, but are we persisting with Osei out wide like we did in pre-season? If so it's not fair on the boy.

No. We are hoofing big punts in his general direction and moaning when he does not instantly control it and smack it in the top corner.

He only got a couple of minutes, right at the end. He was definitely up front, but with the only real attack that came his way he went straight to the touchline despite that being the only place that Thomson, in possession, was going to go. Disappointing, but it's difficult for anyone being thrown on like that, especially a young guy. 

Far too early to be making any kind of judgements. Hopefully he gets a few more chances over the next couple of months and shows what he can do. 

9 hours ago, kvz2000 said:

Think the lad Lang would be an improvement to our defence , Barron and Hamil over the hill and make too many mistakes . Early days but I'm not over excited with what I've seen so far , might get better with time , 

Both played fine,remember we were up against from 7-11,Spence,Robertson,Buchanan,Vaughan and Barr who probably could all play at Championship level and Vaughan arguably Premiership.Once Raith scored they played with confidence and that was probably why we needed to hang on to H-T at 0-0.I think Barron has made an excellent start to the season and was probably unlucky not to win mom against East Fife and Hamill adds a wee bit of grit to midfield.The system the Manager has gone with is a good one and we will win plenty of games this season,I think most Raith fans on here were quite impressed with Stranraer,sometimes in football you got to hold your hands up and say they are better than us,yesterday we had the hands up.

I actually thought Stranraer were unlucky to be behind at half time yesterday. The speed at which we moved the ball in the first half was far too slow and Stranraer never looked stretched or uncomfortable. I think the 2nd goal completely knocked the stuffing out of them and it could have been more by the end. We'll have a few games like that at Starks Park this season and our success or otherwise will hinge on scoring the first goal.

No doubt about it the visitors were unlucky to go in a goal down at halftime and I'd agree that 3-0 flattered us but only a little. Stranraer didn't look like scoring where as after we got the opener we looked like scoring every time we broke upfield. They were their having shots blocked or cleared off the line and we were burying them. I also thought Barr was offside for Lewis's 2nd but maybe their RB who was covering LV's run was playing him on, hopefully the highlights will have caught it.

Getting the 1st goal was the big difference from last week and if yesterday showed anything then it's how critical making the initial breakthrough will be this season. Until we scored it was anyones game but after half time Stranraer were forced to come out and attack more and it opened up for us. Getting a early goal would be ideal but we might see goals come later in half more often as not when part time players start to tire.

Yaw Osei isn't ready for this but there's no harm in giving him a run late in a game that's already won. He looks much stronger this season and he has lots of pace but his touch isn't the best. He reminds me a bit of Gregory Tade who had exactly the same attributes, lets hope he develops into the player Tade eventually became.

As for suggestions that the Dev' squad not producing good enough players it should be noted that 5 former Dev' boys were played yesterday and we finished the game with 4 on the park and the one that was subbed was voted Motm. Vaughan, Callachan & Matthews have all been looked at by other clubs and will probably move on for money and then there's Stevenson, Bell, Valetine and Brian who are viewed as the ones who will be next to break through.

Archived