Rutherglen Glencairn 2017-18

glensmad

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, now that the dust has settled on our Scottish Junior Cup campaign we can get back to concentrating on the league and hopefully getting ourselves into promotion contention. The cup had become a distraction with the cup postponements of the last couple of weeks meaning we've missed out on a couple of league games, and if we'd got through we'd have had the prospect of another cup tie a week on Saturday. I'm not going to pretend that I wanted us to lose, of course we wanted to still be in it, but now we can knuckle down and focus on what has always been our no.1 priority for this season.

To be fair, we're already very much in the mix, sitting in 7th place and only needing to rise one place to get into the play-off positions. There's no point in looking at the top four automatic promotion spots at the moment, the first target is to get into the play-off positions. We're sitting 3 points behind Darvel (6th place) with 3 games in hand over them, and 8 points behind Largs (5th place) with 4 games in hand over them, and we've still to play both of them as well. So our promotion prospects are very much in our own hands.

This time last season we went on a run which took us to the top of the league going into our last match of the season, but our fate back then was never in our own hands and we were relying on other teams dropping points which didn't happen. This time it's all about what we do.

Next up it's Larkhall Thistle at home on Saturday, and we all remember the dramatic 5-4 win we had at Larkhall earlier in the season, coming from behind 4 times and then winning it with literally the last kick of the ball. I've been keeping an eye on Larkhall's results, and that result we had against them hasn't been unusual for them, they seem to score a lot of goals and concede a lot of goals as well. They are averaging 2 goals scored in the league but also averaging over 3 goals conceded. Thistle have scored in every away league game this season, so we will have to be on our guard defensively, and hopefully our strikers continue the good form they've been on this season so far.

An interesting few months await.

Just watched the highlights both sending offs are SOFT to say the least. First one is embarrassing never ever a red.

It wasn’t a red it was a second yellow, matter of opinion on whether you think it was warranted or not, my opinion at the time was deserved second booking, the highlight hasn’t changed my opinion.
The red in the second half was the ref applying the rules to the letter of the law.
All in all with no tinted specs on, I think the ref had a decent game. At the time a couple of his decisions seemed strange but after seeing them in the highlights, then they were justified.
It’s all about opinions and it’s not often I would defend a ref but I honestly think he had a decent game.

1 hour ago, Legless said:

It wasn’t a red it was a second yellow, matter of opinion on whether you think it was warranted or not, my opinion at the time was deserved second booking, the highlight hasn’t changed my opinion.
The red in the second half was the ref applying the rules to the letter of the law.
All in all with no tinted specs on, I think the ref had a decent game. At the time a couple of his decisions seemed strange but after seeing them in the highlights, then they were justified.
It’s all about opinions and it’s not often I would defend a ref but I honestly think he had a decent game.

Well there you go, it's all about opinions. Some stranger than others. :thumsup2

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:25, glensmad said:

The red card for Andy Neil was just a joke. The first booking looks accidental, and the second one is just laughable as everybody at the game (except Haswell) saw.

As for Donaldson's red card, it's a clear case of the referee not knowing the rules. Yes it's a foul, and yes it's a goalscoring opportunity, but the rule introduced last season states that it has to be a deliberate foul for it to be a red card. I understand that the ref's report states that Rhys attempted to tackle the Bo'ness player, not a deliberate foul. On that basis, the rule states that it's only a yellow card. So Haswell has made two enormous blunders with both red cards, and it has cost us our place in the Scottish Junior Cup.

Fortunately there was a referee's assessor at the match, so these clear and obvious mistakes will surely be marked against Haswell's record. A referee not knowing the rules is simply not acceptable.

Never fails to surprise me how fans see things that are fairly similar so differently.  Remember the Kello player getting sent off against you a few weeks ago? For you it was a certain second yellow because he was late, yet look at the second yellow for Andy Neil on Saturday, he takes a bad first touch then is late on his opponent, catching him on the foot with his studs. So whereas I would say both the Kello player and Neils second bookings are soft you thought one was a definite yellow and the other was never a yellow.

I thought Neils first yellow was soft as well but let's be honest what was he doing tackling from behind after the ball was away, he was never going to win the ball from there. So with him on a yellow he must've knew he had to be careful and like the Kello lad he was a bit unlucky with the second yellow. I honestly believe what helped get them sent off was the "over" reaction of the players they  "fouled", both screaming and rolling about in "agony", poor show from both of them.

As for the second red sure it's already been explained but the rule you refer to only applies in the box when a penalty is given, on Saturday the attacker was denied a goal scoring opportunity so a red card was the correct decision, so obviously the ref did know the rules.

Don't think the ref will get pulled up for making any bad decisions over the three discussed above, the red was a certainty and the two yellows although soft would of been certain yellows if they were against you, lol.

1 hour ago, outsider said:

Never fails to surprise me how fans see things that are fairly similar so differently.  Remember the Kello player getting sent off against you a few weeks ago? For you it was a certain second yellow because he was late, yet look at the second yellow for Andy Neil on Saturday, he takes a bad first touch then is late on his opponent, catching him on the foot with his studs. So whereas I would say both the Kello player and Neils second bookings are soft you thought one was a definite yellow and the other was never a yellow.

I thought Neils first yellow was soft as well but let's be honest what was he doing tackling from behind after the ball was away, he was never going to win the ball from there. So with him on a yellow he must've knew he had to be careful and like the Kello lad he was a bit unlucky with the second yellow. I honestly believe what helped get them sent off was the "over" reaction of the players they  "fouled", both screaming and rolling about in "agony", poor show from both of them.

As for the second red sure it's already been explained but the rule you refer to only applies in the box when a penalty is given, on Saturday the attacker was denied a goal scoring opportunity so a red card was the correct decision, so obviously the ref did know the rules.

Don't think the ref will get pulled up for making any bad decisions over the three discussed above, the red was a certainty and the two yellows although soft would of been certain yellows if they were against you, lol.

I take your points, but I don't agree with some of them. The Kello incident was completely different, because in his 2nd booking Andy Neil played the ball first and his momentum took him into the Bo'ness player.  It all happened in a nanosecond, there was no way it could possibly have been intentional. The Kello player, however, took nothing of the ball whatsoever and was very late with his challenge, whether he meant to or not. Andy Neil's can't be even a foul as he was passing the ball, he wasn't making a tackle.

I have acknowledged that the referee was probably correct with the red card for Donaldson, however had Neil not been sent off we probably wouldn't have been so stretched defensively. I guess we'll never know.

But hey, we move on.

The red card for Andy Neil was just a joke. The first booking looks accidental, and the second one is just laughable as everybody at the game (except Haswell) saw.

As for Donaldson's red card, it's a clear case of the referee not knowing the rules. Yes it's a foul, and yes it's a goalscoring opportunity, but the rule introduced last season states that it has to be a deliberate foul for it to be a red card. I understand that the ref's report states that Rhys attempted to tackle the Bo'ness player, not a deliberate foul. On that basis, the rule states that it's only a yellow card. So Haswell has made two enormous blunders with both red cards, and it has cost us our place in the Scottish Junior Cup.

Fortunately there was a referee's assessor at the match, so these clear and obvious mistakes will surely be marked against Haswell's record. A referee not knowing the rules is simply not acceptable.

That is the rule when it's inside the box, as this was outside the ref made the fight call

Archived