Sportscene Watch 19/20

Sorry, I'm afraid it can't be a classic because it involves the Old Firm.
Of course nobody said that, which you know. I'd watch that game before the Celtic v St Johnstone game or the 1990 World Cup final, both of which were "historically significant" because they were shite, not because of the teams involved. Unsurprisingly, I fair enjoyed the Dundee derby that was shown on Friday, since it was a fun watch. This is despite me not particularly liking either team. It's almost as if the game itself should be an entertaining one, rather than one that has "meaning" for one set of fans, or has been chosen due to some kind of "balance" (where the balance is between 2 clubs, not 42). Strange.

Showing a semi final when you've already shown Motherwell winning the final is daft in its own right.

Both Sportscene and the SFA have shot their bolt a bit with this classic match stuff. They put out all their best stuff in the first week or two rather than holding anything back, and now it all looks a bit like they're scrambling around in the back of the cupboard looking for whatever footage is there.

The SFA were doing a Scottish Cup game and a Scotland game every day to begin with, and now they're down to two games in total this week.

Two “classic” matches so far have been a totally meaningless and yawn inducing match billed as “Henrik Larsson’s last match”, and this weekend another uninspiring  and predictable match Celtic v St Johnstone, because it ended Rangers bid for ten titles in a row. Beyond dull.

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Two “classic” matches so far have been a totally meaningless and yawn inducing match billed as “Henrik Larsson’s last match”, and this weekend another uninspiring  and predictable match Celtic v St Johnstone, because it ended Rangers bid for ten titles in a row. Beyond dull.

Both teams going for title threw away their chances in the games leading up to it. And it was the last match of a season that ended a near decade of dominance. I appreciate its not going to be everyone’s cup of tea but to say Its dull and predictable is frankly ridiculous.

Edited by gannonball

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Both teams going for title threw away their chances in the games leading up to it. And it was the last match of a season that ended a bear decade of dominance. I appreciate its not going to be everyone’s cup of tea but to say Its dull and predictable is frankly ridiculous.

I have less of an issue with the ending the 10 in a row stuff. I think most people's default setting is a roll of the eyes as soon BBC Scotland select an event of Old Firm significance but people to have to reluctantly accept that titles being decided etc are significant moments in Scottish football as a whole, even if it generally only ever involves two clubs.

I do have an issue with Larssons final match, as that had absolutely no significance to anyone outside of Celtic. Or certainly not enough to make them want to re-watch Celtic win a dead rubber against Dundee United at Parkhead.

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

Both teams going for title threw away their chances in the games leading up to it. And it was the last match of a season that ended a bear decade of dominance. I appreciate its not going to be everyone’s cup of tea but to say Its dull and predictable is frankly ridiculous.

As a St Johnstone fan who loves watching his side I disagree, dull and predictable it was.

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

The Celtic v St Johnstone match was as predictable a result as you’re ever going to get.

If the BBC can show Henrik Larsson’s last game at Celtic Park playing for Celtic , for absolutely no other reason than that it was the last game of a non Scottish player playing for Celtic at Celtic Park, what about the last game of Russell Anderson playing for Aberdeen? The game was just as dull, and the Saints fans would love it.

38 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If they want to appeal to fans of lots of different club then they should do a career retrospective of Jose Quitongo

I don't think there's coverage of the game where St. Mirren were away to Ross County and Jose ran off the pitch mid game because he needed a jobby.

Guest JTS98
10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

The Celtic v St Johnstone match was as predictable a result as you’re ever going to get.

Not really. Celtic were bottling it in the run in.

In the 2 months before the St Johnstone match they had won only one home game out of four, having drawn with Dundee United, Hearts, and bottom-placed Hibs. They'd lost to Rangers in the league and cup in April. They'd also blown a chance to win the league the previous week by drawing with Dunfermline.

They had got out of jail to a huge extent because Rangers had lost at Motherwell and Aberdeen before the famous injury-time Killie winner at Ibrox.

It's only hindsight that says they were a stick-on to beat St Johnstone. I don't recall it being how people thought at the time. Celtic were under huge pressure to stop ten-in-a-row and were bottling it. They also had the ongoing strife between Wim Jansen and Jock Brown in the background.

St Johnstone were a decent enough side. They were fifth in the league and had already beaten both Rangers and Celtic that season. Hearts were the only of the three title chasers St Johnstone didn't beat that season, but they had picked up a draw at Tynecastle just a few weeks before this game.

St Johnstone were unbeaten in six games going into the Celtic match, having won four of those games including their last two on the bounce. They were a team playing well with nothing to lose.

It wasn't a gimmie.

The Old Firm stuttering towards the finish line makes the ten days from 8th - 18th of April when Hearts took two points from three games at home to Motherwell and St Johnstone and away to Hibs very frustrating. Hearts had won all of those fixtures earlier in the season, doing so again may well have resulted in Hearts being champions that season.

Two big 'what-ifs' from a Hearts point of view being the last-minute equalizer we conceded at Ibrox at the end of February and Stephan Adam's miss in the 0-0 draw at Celtic Park in March. If Adam had scored, we'd have been top of the league with six games to go.

It was a remarkable title race all round.

Edited by JTS98