Sportscene Watch 19/20

I used to think Stewart was a good pundit but I think he's losing a lot of credibility.
That comment about Griffiths was absolutely bizarre it was such a pile of shite!
"Griffiths knew what he was doing and could have landed his foot somewhere else if he'd wanted to, but he didn't use excessive force so just a yellow card was the right decision"
This after he just stamped on an Accies player's chest lying on the ground.

Having repeatedly watched Michael Stewart cost Hearts games by getting himself needlessly sent off for petulant nonsense I can’t say I’m surprised

31 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Now, I know that when you score a goal, or you win a game, you are obviously entitled to celebrate, but I feel that the excess celebrations of Neil Lennon and his team are fairly funny. Examples shown on Sportscene tonight were Lennon jumping into the arms of one of his coaches when Celtic scored one of their goals. Lennon running onto the pitch waving his arms about at another goal. And to top it off, the entire Celtic team doing the “wavy, up and down, arm celebrations” thing in front of their own fans. And all this for a run of the mill win against Hamilton fir goodness sake. Hilarious stuff. Tone it down a bit guys. A few warm handshakes and a wee wave to the crowd would have sufficed.

I know there is the argument that they should be beating teams comfortably with their budget etc, but part of me enjoys any manager celebrating a goal the way a fan would.

13 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know there is the argument that they should be beating teams comfortably with their budget etc, but part of me enjoys any manager celebrating a goal the way a fan would.

Ok, I’ll go along with you in a big game. But come on, Hamilton?

I don't normally catch the early evening airing on the BBC Scotland channel but watch the later screening on BBC 1 or 2. Went to put it on tonight to find they're not showing it because of a combination of the Super Bowl, women's football and women's rugby. Maybe a blessing as it was bad enough seeing Motherwell's non-performance live without having to watch it be disected.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Now, I know that when you score a goal, or you win a game, you are obviously entitled to celebrate, but I feel that the excess celebrations of Neil Lennon and his team are fairly funny. Examples shown on Sportscene tonight were Lennon jumping into the arms of one of his coaches when Celtic scored one of their goals. Lennon running onto the pitch waving his arms about at another goal. And to top it off, the entire Celtic team doing the “wavy, up and down, arm celebrations” thing in front of their own fans. And all this for a run of the mill win against Hamilton fir goodness sake. Hilarious stuff. Tone it down a bit guys. A few warm handshakes and a wee wave to the crowd would have sufficed.

I bet you’re great fun at parties.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Lennon must be under the impression that Sevco are pressuring them in a title race, and the win against Accies was a relief for them moving further away at the top. Doubt he'd celebrate like that a month or 2 ago. 

8 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Michael Stewart shocked even me by defending his golden boy Leigh Griffiths tonight. "Knew what he was doing" when he stamped on the Hamilton player but didn't use 'excessive force' so a yellow is apparently fine.

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I used to think Stewart was a good pundit but I think he's losing a lot of credibility.

That comment about Griffiths was absolutely bizarre it was such a pile of shite!

"Griffiths knew what he was doing and could have landed his foot somewhere else if he'd wanted to, but he didn't use excessive force so just a yellow card was the right decision"

This after he just stamped on an Accies player's chest lying on the ground.

7 hours ago, Rodhull said:

At times it just comes across as Stewart and Thomson having opposing views for the sake of it. Stewart normally seems relatively sane but as has been said his equivalent of ‘Light stamping is ok’ point of view is nonsensical.

Laws of the game define a red card for violent conduct, which I assume we're talking about here, as

" when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made."

I've seen the Griffiths incident a few times and I think it's a stretch to call it 'excessive force' and it's certainly not 'brutality'. Seems like a tangle of legs where Griffiths' body is leaning forwards therefore his leg has to come down somewhere. Now, he certainly could have landed his foot somewhere else, but I don't think the force used fits either of the categories above.

He's certainly a p***k, and it was certainly a pretty shitey thing to do, but a yellow card seems right according to the laws of the game.

I think as football fans we're conditioned to see certain things as a definite red card. Things like any stamp or any kind of headbutt or any kind of raising of the hands. In reality, most of the time when these things happen on the pitch, nobody is likely to be hurt and calling for a red card every time just seems a bit precious to me. It's not like Griffiths pulled a Cantona stamp on the guy.

Laws of the game define a red card for violent conduct, which I assume we're talking about here, as
" when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made."
I've seen the Griffiths incident a few times and I think it's a stretch to call it 'excessive force' and it's certainly not 'brutality'. Seems like a tangle of legs where Griffiths' body is leaning forwards therefore his leg has to come down somewhere. Now, he certainly could have landed his foot somewhere else, but I don't think the force used fits either of the categories above.
He's certainly a p***k, and it was certainly a pretty shitey thing to do, but a yellow card seems right according to the laws of the game.
I think as football fans we're conditioned to see certain things as a definite red card. Things like any stamp or any kind of headbutt or any kind of raising of the hands. In reality, most of the time when these things happen on the pitch, nobody is likely to be hurt and calling for a red card every time just seems a bit precious to me. It's not like Griffiths pulled a Cantona stamp on the guy.

You’ve basically articulated what I meant when I said on the match thread ‘not convinced it’s a red’. So thank you.

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Ok, I’ll go along with you in a big game. But come on, Hamilton?

Not on board with this view at all.

Football is meant to be fun.

Also, it's not really a run-of-the-mill win. It's a game they won late on after the side below them dropped points the day before.

It's a win that puts them in an almost un-fuckupable position.

Also, while I've always been of the view that Celtic will eventually win the league, if Celtic had dropped points yesterday to let Rangers off the hook for a week where they had dropped five points themselves, then I think fair questions would have been asked about Celtic's ability to put this to bed. With Celtic winning, especially so comfortably in the end, it is hard to see a way back in for Rangers now.

Edited by JTS98

Surely standing on someone's chest with football boots on falls into an act of brutality...especially when you could put your foot elsewhere...pretty sure the police would have something to say about it if I did it at the pub

12 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
5 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Surely standing on someone's chest with football boots on falls into an act of brutality...especially when you could put your foot elsewhere...pretty sure the police would have something to say about it if I did it at the pub

Tbf the police would have a lot to say if I started slide tackling folk at the bar.

Griffiths was a red card all day long. Cant believe people are making a case for him.

Always a ned.

Hope he's fit for Scotland right enough.

Unfortunately he can’t be sent off for being a ned. They probably should write this in to the rules though.

Why would anyone wear football boots to the pub?

The excessive force and brutality nonsense is nothing but a crutch to be used when they want to ignore making a decision or changing one that has already been made. Like last season when Morelos’ red card against Aberdeen was rescinded for not being excessive. The SFA has yet to describe what an acceptable level of violence when kicking an opponent off the ball is. No doubt because it would be complete nonsense to do so. They basically did it because Mckenna barged him a couple of times beforehand and got away with it but they couldn’t use that as an official reason so they just fudge it with the meaningless and highly debatable terminology from the rule book.

Griffiths will be the exact same.

Edited by Rodhull

13 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

The excessive force and brutality nonsense is nothing but a crutch to be used when they want to ignore making a decision or changing one that has already been made. Like last season when Morelos’ red card against Aberdeen was rescinded for not being excessive. The SFA has yet to describe what an acceptable level of violence when kicking an opponent off the ball is. No doubt because it would be complete nonsense to do so. They basically did it because Mckenna barged him a couple of times beforehand and got away with it but they couldn’t use that as an official reason so they just fudge it with the meaningless and highly debatable terminology from the rule book.

Griffiths will be the exact same.

It's not as if he has a history of doing it either.

Oh wait.