Sportscene Watch 19/20

6 hours ago, A96 said:

A special word also for the commentator in the Ayr game last night for setting the scene by telling us that the 216 miles between Dingwall and Ayr is the sort of distance that comes out of the hat in the Scottish Cup.  Even Archie McPherson’s usual drivel wasn’t quite as inane as that.

Indeed. It's also a distance both sets of fans have travelled a number of times in the league over the years. But the commentator probably wasn't aware of that.

16 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Even in the short clips he was doing the voiceover for David Currie managed to be just as horrific as he is on the radio. He’s unbelievably smug for someone that genuinely unfunny.

I see they got someone else to re-do the voiceovers Currie did last night for today’s show. Now 100% less sarcastic shite attempts at banter.

7 hours ago, Blaze said:

Kheredine Idesane is a howling commentator.

He really doesnt seem to like / know anything about football - however at least he isnt David Currie...............

5 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

True but not sure if you can say that on here now without the woke snowflakes jumping down your throatemoji85.png

Two points - 

I dont care if you are a Woman, LGBTQ++, Non Binary or just the common or garden guy - if you are a shite commentator, it should be called out - and anyone greetin about it needs a kick in the nads

Spoiler

If they have them, obvs 😂

I am (almost) 52, I can just about keep up with the extra letters etc added to the LBGT stuff.............I think I know what a Snowflake is, but wtaf does "Woke" mean???

Two points - 

I dont care if you are a Woman, LGBTQ++, Non Binary or just the common or garden guy - if you are a shite commentator, it should be called out - and anyone greetin about it needs a kick in the nads

Spoiler

If they have them, obvs [emoji23]

I am (almost) 52, I can just about keep up with the extra letters etc added to the LBGT stuff.............I think I know what a Snowflake is, but wtaf does "Woke" mean???

If you know all the added letters on the lgbtq+ then YOU are probably 'woke'.

It describes people (usually men I think) who are up-to-date and generally agree with all the progressive ideas in relation to social issues (race, culture, gender identity etc).

Thinking about it again, Michael Stewart is just shite now, doesn't want to be there. And Steven Thompson just doesn't know enough about other teams besides Celtic, Rangers and St Mirren. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Hyperbolic McLeod commentating on the Killie game last night on radio Scotland and also on the tv pics tonight.

Does he needs to go back into a cupboard and refake his excitement for his telly commentating?

Edwarrr 

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Stewart shocked even me by defending his golden boy Leigh Griffiths tonight. "Knew what he was doing" when he stamped on the Hamilton player but didn't use 'excessive force' so a yellow is apparently fine.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Now, I know that when you score a goal, or you win a game, you are obviously entitled to celebrate, but I feel that the excess celebrations of Neil Lennon and his team are fairly funny. Examples shown on Sportscene tonight were Lennon jumping into the arms of one of his coaches when Celtic scored one of their goals. Lennon running onto the pitch waving his arms about at another goal. And to top it off, the entire Celtic team doing the “wavy, up and down, arm celebrations” thing in front of their own fans. And all this for a run of the mill win against Hamilton fir goodness sake. Hilarious stuff. Tone it down a bit guys. A few warm handshakes and a wee wave to the crowd would have sufficed.

56 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Michael Stewart shocked even me by defending his golden boy Leigh Griffiths tonight. "Knew what he was doing" when he stamped on the Hamilton player but didn't use 'excessive force' so a yellow is apparently fine.

I used to think Stewart was a good pundit but I think he's losing a lot of credibility.

That comment about Griffiths was absolutely bizarre it was such a pile of shite!

"Griffiths knew what he was doing and could have landed his foot somewhere else if he'd wanted to, but he didn't use excessive force so just a yellow card was the right decision"

This after he just stamped on an Accies player's chest lying on the ground.

Much like Stewart did as a player, he's doing as a pundit. Starting to believe his own hype and become a laughing stock.

The sad thing is, even as a laughing stock, he'll still be 100% more listenable than the majority on BBC programming.

At times it just comes across as Stewart and Thomson having opposing views for the sake of it. Stewart normally seems relatively sane but as has been said his equivalent of ‘Light stamping is ok’ point of view is nonsensical.