Sportscene Watch 19/20

35 minutes ago, brainier said:

Only if denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity and this was not an obvious goalscoring opportunity. 

Matter of interpretation surely? Ref thought it was and so did the keeper - otherwise why pick up outside the box? Fair enough to have a different view, but it wasn't a decision that was clearly wrong.

Motherwell have a decent shout for the third red being rescinded, but the first two were daft.

1 minute ago, brainier said:

Obvious clear goalscoring opportunity? If Motherwell appeal that's where they will have grounds. That and Craig Thomson being useless.

And they might win. I dont think its a sure thing though. It was a good enough goalscoring opportunity that the keeper felt he needed to do it. I dont think its an obvious refereeing error, it's debatable.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And they might win. I dont think its a sure thing though. It was a good enough goalscoring opportunity that the keeper felt he needed to do it. I dont think its an obvious refereeing error, it's debatable.

That's kind of what I was getting at when I mentioned how close it was to the line, I totally take your point above that outside the box is outside the box but given how close the ball was to the line there's a reasonable argument there that it was a misjudgement rather than anything more cynical and that a red card was too severe and that a yellow would have sufficed.

In honesty the way I had read some Saints fans talk about it I thought the incident had been more like this:

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

That's kind of what I was getting at when I mentioned how close it was to the line, I totally take your point above that outside the box is outside the box but given how close the ball was to the line there's a reasonable argument there that it was a misjudgement rather than anything more cynical and that a red card was too severe and that a yellow would have sufficed.

In honesty the way I had read some Saints fans talk about it I thought the incident had been more like this:

As I said last night my first instinct was that he misjudged it and probably wasn't a red card.

I just think it's such a key decision in the match you need to be absolutely certain before pulling out the red card.

As soon as I saw the Capt had posted I knew we were going to be treated to yet another picture. We get it. You think you were hard done to. I'm sure you've been up all night compiling a 500 page pictorial dossier to send to the SFA to show what an absolutely horrific, life changing mistake Thomson made and the ball was really 0.0000000000000001 of a mm nearer the line than Saints fans said. 

Must admit - I thought he was further outside the box than he actually was. It might've just been because I didn't have a great angle for the incident as the goalkeeper kind of had his back to me as went back into the box.

Looked to me like Wotherspoon was going to nick the ball if the goalie hadn't intervened and he decided to go with his hands. Whether he would've made anything of it is an entirely different matter, but  I suppose that's why the referee gave him the red card.

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

All about how its interpreted. With no axe to grind on either club I would have sent him off. He knows its outside. His foot is planted outside and he picks it up in front of that. The misjudgement was in thinking the ball would carry into the box not where he actually was. At the end of the day if it isnt a goalscoring opportunity why does he pick it up? He obviously thinks Wotherspoon is close enough to need it picked up then. 

However I concede its not black and white and others may see it differently. After Celtic somehow won that Scott Brown appeal last season I gave up predicting the outcome of appeals!

Retrospective bans for Stokes (how did the ref not send him off, he could have had 2 straight reds) and Cummins for the dive to win Saints penalty. Motherwell should appeal Dunne's red, Carson's maybe could have just been a yellow, but Wotherspoon is right next to him when he handles it, so it's pretty subjective. Oh and Biton's tackle was a stonewall penalty, the ref even had a clear view of it, so can't understand why he didn't give it?

Simon Murray player of the week. Aye he's in a purple patch but its amazing how moving to a different club can suddenly make someone look so much better. Wee mention for Steven Boyd at Accies, also loved MacLean's finish for Saints first goal.

Retrospective bans for Stokes (how did the ref not send him off, he could have had 2 straight reds) and Cummins for the dive to win Saints penalty. Motherwell should appeal Dunne's red, Carson's maybe could have just been a yellow, but Wotherspoon is right next to him when he handles it, so it's pretty subjective. Oh and Biton's tackle was a stonewall penalty, the ref even had a clear view of it, so can't understand why he didn't give it?
Simon Murray player of the week. Aye he's in a purple patch but its amazing how moving to a different club can suddenly make someone look so much better. Wee mention for Steven Boyd at Accies, also loved MacLean's finish for Saints first goal.

I'd have no objections to a retrospective 2nd booking being applied to Stokes for the incident with Jack. If that happens though, Dorrans should be getting one too since he grabbed Slivka by the throat which is what sparked the second melee. He'd also be due a red if Stokes gets one since he done exactly the same thing.

And sportscene somehow managed to miss speaking about Dorrans at all... Must be the kafflick conspiracy to blame.

Really harsh. Under the new rules is that not a yellow?

Yellow if it's accidental, red if it's intentional. At the time it looked identical, from the east stand. Replays make it look like a dive

Neutrals are missing out on the fact that Cummins is such a big useless lump he makes Connor Sammon look good. I would not be the slightest bit surprised if he just tripped in his excitement at maybe being able to actually hit the target for once given he was only a few yards out. You're talking about someone that zipped a track suit top to his eye lashes when trying to put in on and had to be taken to hospital.