Sportscene Watch 19/20

6 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Not really. Celtic were bottling it in the run in.

In the 2 months before the St Johnstone match they had won only one home game out of four, having drawn with Dundee United, Hearts, and bottom-placed Hibs. They'd lost to Rangers in the league and cup in April. They'd also blown a chance to win the league the previous week by drawing with Dunfermline.

They had got out of jail to a huge extent because Rangers had lost at Motherwell and Aberdeen before the famous injury-time Killie winner at Ibrox.

It's only hindsight that says they were a stick-on to beat St Johnstone. I don't recall it being how people thought at the time. Celtic were under huge pressure to stop ten-in-a-row and were bottling it. They also had the ongoing strife between Wim Jansen and Jock Brown in the background.

St Johnstone were a decent enough side. They were fifth in the league and had already beaten both Rangers and Celtic that season. Hearts were the only of the three title chasers St Johnstone didn't beat that season, but they had picked up a draw at Tynecastle just a few weeks before this game.

St Johnstone were unbeaten in six games going into the Celtic match, having won four of those games including their last two on the bounce. They were a team playing well with nothing to lose.

It wasn't a gimmie.

The Old Firm stuttering towards the finish line makes the ten days from 8th - 18th of April when Hearts took two points from three games at home to Motherwell and St Johnstone and away to Hibs very frustrating. Hearts had won all of those fixtures earlier in the season, doing so again may well have resulted in Hearts being champions that season.

Two big 'what-ifs' from a Hearts point of view being the last-minute equalizer we conceded at Ibrox at the end of February and Stephan Adam's miss in the 0-0 draw at Celtic Park in March. If Adam had scored, we'd have been top of the league with six games to go.

It was a remarkable title race all round.

And yet they showed only the Celtic vs St Johnstone game, and framed it all in their usual way of it concerning only 2 teams.

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

And yet they showed only the Celtic vs St Johnstone game, and framed it all in their usual way of it concerning only 2 teams.

I would imagine they would have to fork out more money to show the other games that day, a lot of which would have been dead rubbers. 

I appreciate the BBC’s coverage of Scottish football is amateurish and glasgow orientated at times but the shite spouted on here for chucking on a few old games is nauseating. 

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I appreciate the BBC’s coverage of Scottish football is amateurish and glasgow orientated at times but the shite spouted on here for chucking on a few old games is nauseating. 

'At times' 😄

There are so many good games they could have on. Instead they just do the usual of pandering to the mindless bigots.

Guest JTS98
2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Yeah, it would have been nice to have had it framed properly. But it's hard to deny it was one of the most memorable and significant weekends in the modern era of Scottish football.

A great season. Some very good players, some big games, excitement at the top and surprise relegatees at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Yeah, it would have been nice to have had it framed properly. But it's hard to deny it was one of the most memorable and significant weekends in the modern era of Scottish football.

A great season. Some very good players, some big games, excitement at the top and surprise relegatees at the bottom.

I will certainly deny it was a memorable and significant weekend in the modern era. It was one of the (totally interchangeable) duopoly yet again winning the league. 

Agree that it was a good league, with good players and teams.

Edited by DA Baracus

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

I will certainly deny it was a memorable and significant weekend in the modern era. It was one of the (totally interchangeable) duopoly yet again winning the league. 

Agree that it was a good league, with good players and teams.

I dislike the OF as much as your next right-thinking human being, but I think a new record for consecutive league titles being set would be a big deal in any country. A team being stopped from doing that by their biggest rivals would be a huge event anywhere.

I'd agree that Celtic winning at home to St Johnstone to win the league for the second time in three years or something like that would be an odd choice.

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

The weird thing is that they gave some of that context on their Twitter account last week, including showing brief highlights of Celtic stumbling at home to Hibs, Killie winning at Ibrox and Craig Faulconbridge's equaliser the next day. I had assumed that would be used as some sort of intro to the actual TV version too, but it wasn't.

Guest JTS98
38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The weird thing is that they gave some of that context on their Twitter account last week, including showing brief highlights of Celtic stumbling at home to Hibs, Killie winning at Ibrox and Craig Faulconbridge's equaliser the next day. I had assumed that would be used as some sort of intro to the actual TV version too, but it wasn't.

The idea of a kind of Premier League Years Scottish version has been floated elsewhere already, and yeah, this season would have been a great one to start with.

A great story.

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

The idea of a kind of Premier League Years Scottish version has been floated elsewhere already, and yeah, this season would have been a great one to start with.

A great story.

Sky's season review is on YouTube, and I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of the BBC doing something similar. The Sky one here is a bit too focused on the title race for my liking, but is still worth a watch.

Prior to tonight’s Sportscene with the League decider from 1991, the BBC Scotland announcer said “As this is from 1991, this reflects the background crowd sound effects”. Not sure why they don’t put this warning out before every Rangers or Celtic match on TV, removing the reference to 1991 obviously.

Football used to be shite didn’t it?

The amount of pass backs for the keeper to pick up in that game was ridiculous.

Same as every game I’ve watched back from before that rule was changed. What a farce.

14 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Great choice of match last night. More of these please, with none of the gruesome twosome involved.

They have to show some Rangers and Sevco games. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Great choice of match last night. More of these please, with none of the gruesome twosome involved.

Yeah, got some bad news for you.

Friday 8th - Celtic vs Rangers, 2002

• 1 month later...

Last night’s Edinburgh derbies Sportscene was superb. Regardless of who’s playing I love watching matches from the early seventies, but there seems to be little TV coverage left from these days, so it was great to see the 7.0 match last night. It was also interesting to see from the Easter Road match from 2000 that Hearts supporters had started their boycott of away matches away back then. 

• 3 weeks later...