Sportscene Watch 19/20

How does Michael Stewart still get a gig on TV? 

"I don't want that penalty retaken, I know it's the rules and he's not on the line but I don't want that given. Look, that makes no difference to the game." 

The goalkeeper saved the penalty. It was 2-2 at that point. The game finished 2-2.

12 minutes ago, Dele said:

"I don't want that penalty retaken, I know it's the rules and he's not on the line but I don't want that given. Look, that makes no difference to the game." 

The goalkeeper saved the penalty. It was 2-2 at that point. The game finished 2-2.

Was that our game?

As soon as I seen a replay of the penalty I just knew theyd spend time trying to create a debate around him taking a step.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Was that our game?

As soon as I seen a replay of the penalty I just knew theyd spend time trying to create a debate around him taking a step.

Yeah. That's the second time in a little over a week he's openly said "I know it's the rules but for me, it's not a foul/shouldn't be retaken". 

It wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if when a decision isn't given (against Hearts, usually) he didn't turn into a massive gimp just shouting "BUT IT'S THE ROOLZ TOMO, JONATHUN, IT'S THE ROOLZ!!" over and over. 

He's an idiot. 

27 minutes ago, Dele said:

To be fair, he wasn't saying that the outcome of the penalty would have made no difference to the game. He was meaning that Zander Clark standing marginally off his line didn't have any impact on what happened next.

11 hours ago, Dele said:

No getting away from the fact Dykes hit a worse than pish penalty....but the rules are there now. Almost the exact same thing happened in the Man City game when Aguero rolled the first one at the keeper but was retaken NOT due to the keeper being off his line but due to Rice encroaching. Why aren't the referees upholding the new rules? Seen a few other examples of the new rules not being followed; players walking across the pitch to be subbed rather than go off at the nearest touchline, the ball hitting the ref and him playing on, the uncontested drop balls being used differently in the same game and the penalties not being retaken when the keeper moves off their line. Again I'm not bitter and Dykes' penalty was atrocious plus I feel the new penalty rule is a bit harsh on keepers but it's part of the game now.

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Michael Stewart’s hatred of intelligent punditry 💉

FTFY

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

No getting away from the fact Dykes hit a worse than pish penalty....but the rules are there now. Almost the exact same thing happened in the Man City game when Aguero rolled the first one at the keeper but was retaken NOT due to the keeper being off his line but due to Rice encroaching. Why aren't the referees upholding the new rules? Seen a few other examples of the new rules not being followed; players walking across the pitch to be subbed rather than go off at the nearest touchline, the ball hitting the ref and him playing on, the uncontested drop balls being used differently in the same game and the penalties not being retaken when the keeper moves off their line. Again I'm not bitter and Dykes' penalty was atrocious plus I feel the new penalty rule is a bit harsh on keepers but it's part of the game now.

FTFY

Apparently at ref's discretion.

Going off the pitch at the nearest point is an option available to the ref, but he doesn't have to enforce it every time.

If the ball hits the ref, it's only a drop ball if it goes into the net or the possession changes. If it hits the ref and goes to a guy in the same team then he's right to play on.

And the uncontested drop balls are different depending on the area of the pitch. If it happens in the box it gets dropped to the keeper, while if it happens outside the box it gets dropped for the last team to touch it.

The new penalty rule is not harsh on keepers. It's more lenient on keepers. Previously they had to keep both feet on the line, now they only have to keep one. Haven't seen the Clark one yet, but in general I'd only expect obvious cases to be pulled up, as has been the case in previous seasons.

eristic

(ɛˈrɪstɪk  )

adjective also: eristical

of, relating, or given to controversy or logical disputation, esp for its own sake

noun

a person who engages in logical disputes; a controversialist

the art or practice of logical disputation, esp if specious

twat

Michael Stewart

Word origin of 'eristic'

C17: from Greek eristikos, from erizein to wrangle, from eris discord

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Going off the pitch at the nearest point is an option available to the ref, but he doesn't have to enforce it every time.

If the ball hits the ref, it's only a drop ball if it goes into the net or the possession changes. If it hits the ref and goes to a guy in the same team then he's right to play on.

And the uncontested drop balls are different depending on the area of the pitch. If it happens in the box it gets dropped to the keeper, while if it happens outside the box it gets dropped for the last team to touch it.

The new penalty rule is not harsh on keepers. It's more lenient on keepers. Previously they had to keep both feet on the line, now they only have to keep one. Haven't seen the Clark one yet, but in general I'd only expect obvious cases to be pulled up, as has been the case in previous seasons.

My understanding of the rule was that EVERY drop ball can be contested and not down to the ref.

Its more an unspoken informal agreement among the players.

Just now, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

My understanding of the rule was that EVERY drop ball can be contested and not down to the ref.

Its more an unspoken informal agreement among the players.

Your understanding is wrong. http://www.theifab.com/laws/chapter/28/section/77/

Procedure

• The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area if, when play was stopped:

• the ball was in the penalty area or

• the last touch of the ball was in the penalty area

• In all other cases, the referee drops the ball for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the position where it last touched a player, an outside agent or, as outlined in Law 9.1, a match official

• All other players (of both teams) must remain at least 4 m (4.5 yds) from the ball until it is in play

The ball is in play when it touches the ground.

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Dallas chose to not enforce it on Saturday, when a Livingston player was in his own six yard box at a corner. A lovely minutes wait as he sauntered to the halfway line.

He then forced a player 20 yards from goal to go off behind the goal about 5 minutes later.

1 hour ago, akuram said:

If the assault on Chris Kane had been on a Rangers player they would have talked about it for ever. They really are so biased against St Johnstone. Should have been a red all day long. Disgraceful.

Sportscence just love the Sevco.

11 hours ago, akuram said:

If the assault on Chris Kane had been on a Rangers player they would have talked about it for ever. They really are so biased against St Johnstone. Should have been a red all day long. Disgraceful.

I think it is far more likely they just don't give a f**k about St Johnstone.

Chick Young on the Sportscene Results programme today reporting from one of the extra time matches that history was made today with a fourth sub being used in extra time for the first time. This is the third season where this has been the case.

• 2 weeks later...