Sportscene Watch 19/20

16 minutes ago, The Master said:

The BBC have just paid £211m out of the BBC Sport (not "BBC England") budget to renew their English Premier League highlights for a further three years.

The SPFL received £10.1m from the BBC Scotland (not "BBC Sport") budget for four years of highlights. 

Before I get my pitchfork out - is there a sensible reason for this to do with the structure of BBC Scotland? Or is it simply as annoying as it looks....

Also - is the pitiful amount to do with the fact that the Scottish deal doesn't allow league highlights on a Sat? ETA - I assume that the £211m is just for the rights - the production costs (ie, Gary's and Alan wages & taxis) will be separate - so the disparity will be greater I'd imagine.

In any case - the TV deal situation in Scotland is in a really poor state. A little birdie tells me that all the Premiership Chief Execs/Chairmen were at Sky in London last week to discuss the next deal - I was hoping that they wouldn't be involved this time round...

Edited by Swello

The BBC have just paid £211m out of the BBC Sport (not "BBC England") budget to renew their English Premier League highlights for a further three years.
The SPFL received £10.1m from the BBC Scotland (not "BBC Sport") budget for four years of highlights. 

The sad thing is the number of people in Scotland who watch MOTD probably justifies this.

I don't even care about English football and I watch it - it's a really well put together programme and shows what can be done - but I guess that The Master is pointing out is that MOTD comes from the BBC's central sport budget and sportscene doesn't...

Don't forget when considering the funding difference that BBC England have to fund MOTD and MOTD repeat and MOTD2 and MOTD2 Extra and MOTD 3 and MOTD Kickabout and Football Focus and The Premier League Show and Final Score.

BBC 'Scotland' have to fund Sportscene and a kiddy-on Scottish Final Score.

I will watch MOTD if a big team loses or something controversial happens. I won't bother if it's just Man City/Man Utd/Chelsea/Lolverpool scudding West Brom/Stoke/Swansea/Brighton 4-0.

I watch MOTD

I also watch Goal Rush & The Championship on Channel 5

I watch Sportscene as well and I would really like a programme covering our Championship, League 1 & 2 and the HFL and LL. Hell, I'd watch highlights of the top Junior games.

The news that SKY are involved again is a pisser, but though BT's coverage is much better, I'll wait until they get more EPL games before I sing their praises unreservedly.

I still think an SPFL Channel would be a goer, not a Premiership Channel, definitely not a fucking OF(ex)-centric channel, but the whole of the SPFL, with Juniors thrown in for good measure. Anyone know if a streaming service, showing live games and OD highlights would be feasible rather than a bona fide channel? After all everyone is moving to wifi, the dish is dying

Most clubs produce their own highlights. No reason why there can't be an SPFL highlights show online that you pay say, £10 a year for, that uses clubs' footage with the profits from the annual subscriptions being distributed (evenly) among the clubs.

Actually no, there are two reasons. Two smelly shite smeared reasons that are cheeks of the same arse...

After McGinn's goal they show the Hibs fans and at the top right there's a guy in a brown jacket vigorously giving it the 'get up ye!' gesture repeatedly. It's brilliant and someone needs to make a GIF out of it

On 30/01/2018 at 13:19, The Master said:

Is this maybe to do with the fact majority of weeks they don't broadcast in HD and instead broadcast on BBC2? I'm not sure what the price difference is between HD and SD. 

2 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

Is this maybe to do with the fact majority of weeks they don't broadcast in HD and instead broadcast on BBC2? I'm not sure what the price difference is between HD and SD. 

The BBC1 repeat is in HD. 

On 2/4/2018 at 18:07, DA Baracus said:

After McGinn's goal they show the Hibs fans and at the top right there's a guy in a brown jacket vigorously giving it the 'get up ye!' gesture repeatedly. It's brilliant and someone needs to make a GIF out of it

@Mr .Gifs™

Here's the lad I'm on about;

hc.thumb.jpg.7966a1b1cff652bf2310a48903fdc5f2.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09rcqr4/sportscene-04022018

From 04.14 to 04.16

On 04/02/2018 at 22:06, boulderdomb said:

I've probably bored on about this before, but the last time the MoTD contract came up about 4 years ago, the BBC admitted they had bid on 'commercial', i.e. market, not 'community' terms. In other words, they've stopped pretending that they serve all of us.

Also worth reiterating that I read that one episode of MoTD costs more to produce than a whole season of Sportscene apparently, with all those fancy MoTD graphics contributing to how amateurish ours looks.