Sportscene Watch 19/20

Seemed to me that Wotherspoon was "second in line" getting to the ball after the keeper, so technically him picking it up was preventing a chance at goal.

Obviously that's contradicted by the fact if you remove the keeper then the centre half doesn't slow down.

Either way if the keeper or centre half just blooters it, like normal people, then you never put the ref in that position.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Pretty much. I saw someone on WAP claiming Carson picked the ball up a clear foot outside the box (apparently). Which is clearly not the case.

He's got his hands over the ball, lets it run and going by the stills it looks like at worst the ball is an inch or two off the line. He's still clearly favourite for the ball and the Saints player has never been in possession or control of the ball so it's difficult to see how it could be construed as denying a goal scoring opportunity.

At the very worst it's a misjudgment from Carson and he's picked the ball up a fraction early. I have a feeling that like the Saints fan who was claiming Carson picked it up *well* outside the box the assistant has thought similar when the reality is it was much more marginal than that.

Doesn't change the fact that either Carson or Kipré should just have emptied the ball out the park though.

Aye that's pretty much how I saw it.

He lets it run across him with the intention of picking up inside the box but panics a wee bit and picks it up early.  At no point though did I feel like the Saints player is favourite for the ball or that Carson picks it up because he feels the Saints player is getting there.

Would probably need to watch in more detail though.

1 minute ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Is Canning rocking a club turtleneck? Kudos to Hamilton if that was the case. Lends a certain air of smart causuality to the league. Tommy Wright in a safari suit next pls.

If staunch Tommy ever deviates from the blue suit and brown brougues look, he's dead to me.

21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He lets it run across him with the intention of picking up inside the box but panics a wee bit and picks it up early.  At no point though did I feel like the Saints player is favourite for the ball or that Carson picks it up because he feels the Saints player is getting there.

Edit: Had posted a different image but there's a much better still of it. You're talking about it being a couple of inches off the line at worst.

close_up.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think he could have charitably got a yellow. But any keeper who handles outside his box with a striker reasonably close is asking for trouble, particularly when it is obviously a panic reaction to thinking the striker might get there. I dont think he can have too many complaints.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Edit: Had posted a different image but there's a much better still of it. You're talking about it being a couple of inches off the line at worst.

close_up.jpg

I would say his right hand is at least 6 inches outside but its completely irrelevant. He either handles it outside the box or he doesnt. And he plainly does. Matters little whether its a centimetre or 15 yards. Saying its only just outside the box is like saying someone is just a little bit pregnant.

Edited by Skyline Drifter