Sportscene Watch 19/20

Depends on your telly. If it's a large flat Panasonic HD TV then it looks shite. BBC Alba is practically unwatchable.

55 inch brand new HD tele and honestly can barely tell. If I was to switch back and forward between the 2 quickly I'd probably notice a slight difference but there's no way I'd wait an extra 5 hours to watch a TV programme because it was on in HD.

That just seems ridiculous to me.

14 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I just discovered it's on after MOTD2 tonight. Appalling.

And if you're watching on anything larger than one of those TV/VHS combo things and you can't notice the difference between the SD and HD programmes, get your eyes checked.

That's the repeat, it airs at 6pm on a Sunday now.  If you miss that and don't want to wait until near midnight on a Sunday then you can simply go back to the 6pm episode and watch it on catch up. 

1 hour ago, shootingboots said:

Not sure if it was Stewart or Thomson saying it was a good game at Rugby Park on Saturday, and they ended up talking about the plastic pitch where Stewart said he's never seen a good game on the pitch.

They just talk for the sake of it at times. 

Actually he said he's never a single good game on any artificial pitch

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

That seems to be the new stock phrase of the Sportscene/Sportsound mob when discussing artificial surfaces. That, and also that they should be 'banned' from top flight football.

Yup. Total nonsense of course, and ignores the reasons why clubs have them in the first place, not to mention that (despite the odd dud like the Kilmarnock one), they're improving all the time. 

That's probably more to do with the teams that play on them rather than the pitches, but it does seem a bit needless. Why can't they just use grass? Seems like more of a level playing field and we won't end up in situations where managers have certain players they have to drop because they don't want to risk them on the surfaces.

Do Rugby Park and New Douglas Park have the same type of artificial pitch as it seems worse at Hamilton than it does in Kilmarnock?

That's probably more to do with the teams that play on them rather than the pitches, but it does seem a bit needless. Why can't they just use grass? Seems like more of a level playing field and we won't end up in situations where managers have certain players they have to drop because they don't want to risk them on the surfaces.

Do Rugby Park and New Douglas Park have the same type of artificial pitch as it seems worse at Hamilton than it does in Kilmarnock?

I disagree, I think Kilmarnocks is worse, especially this season for whatever reason. The reasons behind the plastic is purely financial, has to be, there's no other reason for it. The extra money you get for nothing effectively can make a huge difference to a smaller team.

I disagree, I think Kilmarnocks is worse, especially this season for whatever reason. The reasons behind the plastic is purely financial, has to be, there's no other reason for it. The extra money you get for nothing effectively can make a huge difference to a smaller team.

There is down thing about the bounce and New Douglas Park which is just off. Since they went plastic I've noticed numerous Dons players caught out by it, but it doesn't have the same irregular bounce at Rugby Park as far as I can tell.

31 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Why can't everyone else just use plastic?  That would be much more of a level playing field because there wouldn't be any variability due to muddy pitches etc.

Glorious day. The railway line flooded north of Perth so I had to go back to Inverness via Dundee. So glad we won that day otherwise I would have been borderline suicidal.

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Actually he said he's never a single good game on any artificial pitch

Which is a totally ludicrous statement. 

I have seen lots of teams play very good football against us on our pitch - I think it actually helps the better teams, which is probably why our home record is dreadful. 

Which is a totally ludicrous statement. 
I have seen lots of teams play very good football against us on our pitch - I think it actually helps the better teams, which is probably why our home record is dreadful. 

You just can't beat a good grass pitch.

But unfortunately in Scotland and with the finances available it's not always easy to have one for the full season. So understandable why certain clubs have gone down that route. Hopefully grass pitches don't completely disappear though. Think that would be shite.