Airdrie vs Arbroath

Really pleased for Ferguson, for us to have a chance this year he needs to be playing with confidence and games like today will give him that. One mistake where the ball went under him, pretty sure Louden on the line may have put him off at the last second which caused him to take his eye off it. Would never have McIntosh at right back unless we are really short (which I suppose we are), too slow, both defensively and in terms of offering a threat going forward, and seems to be dreaming a lot of the time.

Russell really struggled, Louden was no better though so not really sure what the answer is there. Striker on loan would be the priority really. As has been mentioned Conroy was a passenger. He offers nothing defensively and doesn't/can't track runs, but can't get up with play to support the attack either. Not really blaming him, he's too slow to get about the park and scrapping for second balls and winning tackles has never been his game, so can't really expect him to discover that now. Thought Brownlie and Cairns were fine, I'd say they are an improvement on any pairings from last year.

Arbroath probably just deserved to win, but at the same time we could have stolen it. The big priorities for me are sorting out the right hand side of the pitch, particularly right back. Getting Conroy a more influential role, and trying to give Ryan a bit more support. Don't claim to have the answers, but if we can improve on those areas I don't think we'll be any worse than 4-5 other teams in the league.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stats show who should have won this match. Arbroath had 20 shots with 11 on target. Airdrie had 10 shots with 2 on target. Add to that our keeper was man of the match. Mind you we had 2 decent penalty shouts turned down.

Well that was a frustrating day! Bloody Dundee and Perth traffic made the journey down nearly 3 hours instead of 2, so didn't get the chance to sample the delights of Airdrie town centre. Still managed to get a pre-match pint in thanks to the club bar. Won't go into a Lichtie Kev rant about the price of the drinks though ;-0).

Pleased to see Doris fit enough to start after the clattering he took late on last week. He seems to get better each week with his hold up play and bringing others into the game. I thought he and Denholm linked up really well at times an some of the forward play was very good.  Linn had the measure of their left back and Kadir played one of his better games. Great cross from Bobby, to Stevie to head onto Omar at the back post for the goal. 

I don't really take much notice of other teams players as I don't know them,  but having seen Andy Ryan during his time at Gayfield, he definitely looked like Airdrie's best player in the 1st half. His header just before half time was about the only thing Hutton had to deal with all game. Overall the Airdrie keeper was the star player over both halves and must have made at least 6 fantastic saves. Without him between the sticks it would have bee a really high scoring Arbroath win. Just the one mistake where he let the ball,through his legs, but a defender saved his blushes. 

DC made 2 good changes at the right time. Airdrie's subs had just begun to have some influence so bringing on Swankie and McCord brought the game under Arbroath's control again. Pongo could have had 4 goals within 10 minutes of coming on.

I like Hammy at left back even though I wasn't sure about splitting a league winning CB partnership, but he is also vey frustrating at times. Having moved up a level, the team have been playing a better standard of football, and passing it so much better. But Hammy has this irritating habit of booting the ball long, often into dead space, instead of passing to a team mate.  Often it is a blind punt, seemingly in the hope that it might get to Linn or Doris. He did it a lot last week and so often again today. I can't believe that D.C. and Pink coach that and are happy to see it, because it gives away possession too easily.

What on earth was the ref's assistant on the near side on? FFS! He was so far behind play in both halves and gave so many wrong offside decisions, he was an embarrassment. I agree with the comment above regarding the offside from a throw in confusion. It looked like he was flagging for offside (again) when the throw in was taken, but he was clearly signaling to the ref that he was being verbally abused by the home dugout. That said, he deserved plenty of abuse. I was too far from the Airdrie penalty claim to be sure, but did think 'oh f**k'  when Ryan went down. The free kick to Arbroath in the box moments later did seem fair, but I can understand the home fans fury.

in conclusion, I think Arbroath gifted Airdrie their point and threw away 2 points themselves by not being clinical enough in front of goal, given the amount of chances they had. The Airdrie keeper will probably save them 15-20 points this season and keep them up.

So, frustrated by the traffic on the way there; frustrated by poor Arbroath finishing and excellent Airdrie keeping; and frustrated by some ridiculously poor officials.

I think we only really played well for half an hour or so today. That said, airdrie keeper was outstanding. 

Actually think Denholm is a constant threat, frustrating yes but none more so than Kader/Linn. 

As i said winning home games and avoiding defeats away and we'll be fine. 

1 hour ago, waysider said:

The stats show who should have won this match. Arbroath had 20 shots with 11 on target. Airdrie had 10 shots with 2 on target. Add to that our keeper was man of the match. Mind you we had 2 decent penalty shouts turned down.

I'll wait to see the TV footage, but didn't think first claim was anywhere near a penalty. Slightly surprised there wasn't a booking for diving.

Second penalty claim - I've seen similar claims given, and was very relieved when ref didn't give it.

I would have settled for a point before the match, so shouldn't complain, but feel we dropped 2 points rather than gained 1.

9 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

McIntosh...too slow, both defensively and in terms of offering a threat going forward... seems to be dreaming a lot of the time...

Russell really struggled,

Louden was no better... 

Conroy was a passenger. He offers nothing... he's too slow...

I'll have a pint of whatever this fkn moron is having.

Last year it was Scott Stewart who was useless, Chris O'Neill previously...

A hard earned draw and our first point on the board. Hopefully the youngsters will take heart from that and push on but I think it is clear this will be a hard season. Ferguson kept us in the game with some terrific saves in the second half and we should have had a penalty which could of seen us sneak a win. Andy Ryan showed again he is worth more to us playing and scoring than any 30k. His goals could be the difference between staying up and relegation.

Having had a wee watch of DC's post match interview I agree with the majority of what he says, also felt he made probably the right subs at the right times yesterday so credit where it is due for that. He is bang on the money in terms of our application being poor IMO, I felt despite probably doing enough to get the 3 points quite a few players were no-where near their best and several of them looked a bit off the pace at times. It shows the high standards we have at the club right now though when comments like this are being made, overall everything really is very, very positive.

Not quite sure why Dick has, yet again, blatantly lied in his post match interview! :blink: 'Swankie and McCord only got back from their holidays last week'. Pongo has been back for verging on a month and Swanks got back 3 weeks ago FFS. If they have only had 2 training sessions as Dick states, then I think we should be holding more than one training session a fortnight tbh. It's not like he's telling wee white lies regarding player fitness etc. to potentially throw the opposition and make them think some players are struggling which could affect how they line up/ set up tactically against us, he just has a habit of telling ridiculously obvious lies for no apparent reason.... Very odd behaviour.

defo should of won it we were far the better side. pongo has to start whatley and yule yes do a good job in midfield but so similar. we need pongos passing ability and imagination in the centre mid position.also when are we going to see swanks & doris upfront denholm has done a job there but not a natural front man far better on the wing.but please he has to get his head up and see the bigger picture

After the win last week he had to start with same starting 11, can see swankie and McCord starting next week, good chace whatley will go to Rightback what would be harsh on Gold, and maybe Kader will be dropped and Swankie will play behind Doris

Swankie and McCord didn't just come back last week so Dick stretching the truth slightly there. There may a bit of truth in the amount of sessions they have done, we have had midweek games almost every week and I think the players had a night off after the cup games also. 

Think Swankie & Mccord will play Tuesday along with a few others. 

Archived