Dundee United vs Queen of the South

Massive win for us. As others have said really neat, accurate tidy link up play that we haven't seen in years. We looked a real threat going forward - Mcdonald held the ball up so well. Very pleased with him. Wasn't delighted with some of Fyvies defensive work, but he's hungry for the ball and keen to get forward . Very impressed with Stanton, going to be a key player for us this season. McMullan lashed out right in front of the linesman. Stupid and unprofessional. How many times was GMS brought down and he never lashed out? Better wise up quickly .

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the United fans on here seem to acknowledge McMullan was stupid to get his red card. No surprise to see McKinnon is blaming the ref despite admitting he didn`t see the incident.

I've not seen it (the red card). I've spoken to the player who says he's not punched him. The guy has rugby tackled him, and he says he's swung his arms around to get him off him. But the referee should have stopped it before anything happened, he should have dealt with that a lot better."

A few good performances today but Lewis was the man who kept us in it.  One of the commentators during the week said that he didn't look comfortable with crosses but I think his punching is exactly what's needed, especially after the last couple of seasons.  He seems to be giving the defence the confidence they need too.

Looking forward to the season for the first time in a while.

11 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Sorry but the ball bounced off McDonald. Nothing more.

Aye, but against that he was in the right place. That's a talent in itself. 

I'll forgive McMullan's silliness today. Chap was all over him. Silly to react but understandable. 

3 minutes ago, The DA said:

A few good performances today but Lewis was the man who kept us in it.  One of the commentators during the week said that he didn't look comfortable with crosses but I think his punching is exactly what's needed, especially after the last couple of seasons.  He seems to be giving the defence the confidence they need too.

Looking forward to the season for the first time in a while.

Strangely he said this after Lewis had just made a good connection to punch clear. I've been impressed with him overall - couple of cracking saves in the derbies and always keen to command the area. 

Quinn signing is also positive on the face of it. It gives us options and competition at the back, and will hopefully put a rocket up Edge. Durnan hasn't done much wrong this season, so with Quinn added and Robson starting the season well the defence is looking more encouraging.

28 minutes ago, Reverend Maynard said:

Massive win for us. As others have said really neat, accurate tidy link up play that we haven't seen in years. We looked a real threat going forward - Mcdonald held the ball up so well. Very pleased with him. Wasn't delighted with some of Fyvies defensive work, but he's hungry for the ball and keen to get forward . Very impressed with Stanton, going to be a key player for us this season. McMullan lashed out right in front of the linesman. Stupid and unprofessional. How many times was GMS brought down and he never lashed out? Better wise up quickly .

Totally agree, he's the sort of quick skillful player who's going to get that sort of treatment and has to learn not to react.  As by son said to me at the time if he hadn't reacted then he'd be up against a cumbersome defender who was on a yellow for the rest of the game.

Given we still won and our next game at home is against Brechin then maybe the lesson will be learned at the right time.  He will maybe get a run out in the diddy cup on Tuesday to keep him match fit.

ETA Fraser did well to score.  Maybe that will be his roll this season, come on for 20 minutes when our more committed players have tired out the opposition.

While its always disappointing not to beat 10 men I dont think we could have done a whole lot more. United were to content to sit, defend and hit on the break and we had plenty of possession, created a few decent chances but, ultimately, couldnt break them down. 

There are a couple of things I think Naysmith got wrong, though - presumably Tapping started on the right to provide protection to Rooney. He didnt, at all and the goal was coming from the kick off, yet we made no adjustments to try and stop McMullan. Maybe it would have been better to play a more natural wide player? I also think the substitutions were far too late. Carmichael made a big difference when he came on, Tapping should have been hooked at half time, or shortly after.

Plenty of positives from the game, though. Fordyce and Brownlie looked solid. For the most part, Rankin and Jacobs competed with Utds midfield. Dykes played well out wide, as did Carmichael when he came on. Kane made some nice runs and more often than not puts away the chance he had after Dobbie played him through - credit to the keeper for a really good save.

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Totally agree, he's the sort of quick skillful player who's going to get that sort of treatment and has to learn not to react.  As by son said to me at the time if he hadn't reacted then he'd be up against a cumbersome defender who was on a yellow for the rest of the game.

Given we still won and our next game at home is against Brechin then maybe the lesson will be learned at the right time.  He will maybe get a run out in the diddy cup on Tuesday to keep him match fit.

ETA Fraser did well to score.  Maybe that will be his roll this season, come on for 20 minutes when our more committed players have tired out the opposition.

Dont think McMullan got any sort of "treatment". He went by Rooney who grabbed him and pulled him back. It was a pretty routine foul and yellow card. McMullans reaction was ridiculous

7 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Dont think McMullan got any sort of "treatment". He went by Rooney who grabbed him and pulled him back. It was a pretty routine foul and yellow card. McMullans reaction was ridiculous

There seemed to be a wee bit more to it than that.  Yeah his reaction was OTT and he deserved his red.

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There seemed to be a wee bit more to it than that.  Yeah his reaction was OTT and he deserved his red.

Like what? Obviously, I didnt have a great view of it from behind the goal but the only thing I can think of is that Rooney held onto him longer than he needed to. Certainly McMullans first reaction was to get free of him, he just didnt stop swinging his arms when he did

11 minutes ago, The-coo-shed said:

Was it a penalty when Kane went down? Guy on the radio seemed to think so?

Impossible to tell from the other end, but booking him was incredibly harsh. Keatings and King had both gone down looking for fouls and the ref waived play on without either player being booked.

20 minutes ago, Mr X said:

presumably Tapping started on the right to provide protection to Rooney. He didnt, at all and the goal was coming from the kick off, yet we made no adjustments to try and stop McMullan.

Tapping didnt start on tbe right. He was moved there after the goal to try to help with McMullan.

I thought generally we played well away to what is probably the best team in the division. We started ok but the difference between the sides in the first half hour was McMullan who looked dangerous every time he got the ball and gets nearly all the credit for the goal. Was it him who hit the post too?

McMullan's reaction to a routine pull back was ridiculous. It was cynical from Rooney but not physically dangerous. Stupid over reaction.

After that we were the better side and pretty unlucky. Dont think Martin had a save to make. On the goal for me Scott McDonald makes a "clever" foul on Brownlie to win the ball in the build up. I think we should have had a free kick but fair play to McDonald he got away with it and United won the game as a result.

At the other end  Lewis made two great saves from Kane and Marshall, and got a wee bit lucky in sitting on the ball on the Kane rebound when Dobbie was waiting for the loose ball. Didnt think for a second the Kane incident was a dive either. Not sure it was a penalty but there was contact. Might be worth appealing that booking.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Tapping didnt start on tbe right. He was moved there after the goal to try to help with McMullan.

I thought generally we played well away to what is probably the best team in the division. We started ok but the difference between the sides in the first half hour was McMullan who looked dangerous every time he got the ball and gets nearly all the credit for the goal. Was it him who hit the post too?

McMullan's reaction to a routine pull back was ridiculous. It was cynical from Rooney but not physically dangerous. Stupid over reaction.

After that we were the better side and pretty unlucky. Dont think Martin had a save to make. On the goal for me Scott McDonald makes a "clever" foul on Brownlie to win the ball in the build up. I think we should have had a free kick but fair play to McDonald he got away with it and United won the game as a result.

At the other end  Lewis made two great saves from Kane and Marshall, and got a wee bit lucky in sitting on the ball on the Kane rebound when Dobbie was waiting for the loose ball. Didnt think for a second the Kane incident was a dive either. Not sure it was a penalty but there was contact. Might be worth appealing that booking.

Who did then?

It looked liked Dykes and Lyle up front with Dobbie kind of on the left as a sort of front 3 with Tapping on the right side of a midfield 3. Dykes was certainly the right sided forward but it never looked like he was making any attempt to track back. It looked a bit lopsided to be honest and there was acres of space for McMullan, which was obvious right from kick off and should have been plugged well before the goal.

Very happy with three unexpected points today (unexpected given the circumstances). 

I thought we played reasonably well up until the sending off but then started to sit far too deep. I had worries about suffering from last season's syndrome of throwing the game away but we managed to somehow get a win due to Fraser (got to give him some credit for that) and Lewis making a couple of great stops. I thought QoS had enough about them and was pleasantly surprised when they didn't manage to get the equaliser late on despite some pretty decent chances.

Thought Stanton was exceptional, Lewis was brilliant and I will admit that Robson has now put in three solid performances in a row. Felt sorry for Keatings but he was a victim of the system we had to play and ended up drifting away as he was left out wide with little to do. Fyvie poor first half but stepped up in the second. 

45 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This unlucky word had been used a few times already this season.

You make your own luck bottem line is we got beat from a team with 10 men for all of the 2 nd half simply not good enough.

Amazing that some fans say that we played well we lost the game 

Archived