'C'mon the Mo' 2017-18

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Lessons learned from yesterday?

Unlike against Peterhead, the game plan against Clyde failed.

I wasn't there and while credit is due to Clyde for a well deserved victory, I find it hard to believe that they are now unbeatable.

Hopefully if they take points off us, they will do the same against Peterhead and others.

Having got themselves into a great position with last week's win, it feels horrible that, rather than kicking on, the Mo have been well and truly walloped at the first hurdle. It would have been disappointing enough to have lost one-nil in a close game but this is a second successive heavy defeat, without any sign of improvement and that's really annoying.

Apart from stopping the other team scoring and not scoring ourselves, what lessons can be learnt from the Clyde debacle?

How do we avoid any kind of repetition? Okay, not every team has talent like Goodwillie's but there are no easy games at this stage, with all to play for. Montrose haven't become a bad team overnight but we can't afford any more stuff ups if we are to regain top spot and hold onto it.

As others have said, if we end up in the playoffs, we haven't got a hope against Clyde, judging by our performances against them lately. 

And quite simply, that will not be good enough to get us out of League Two.

So please, please, please, Stuart Petrie and team, get whatever went wrong on Saturday sorted...

OK disappointing yesterday but the roof hasn't exactly caved in. Clyde are now an exceptional lot under Danny Lennon and our position was achieved by simply grinding out results rather than steamrollering anybody. We need to put Clyde behind us as we put the Peterhead 6-2 behind us and take one game at a time. Draw a quick positive line under it.

Brummo makes a good point about not wanting Clyde in the play-offs so we must win the league and avoid the play-offs. We can still do it but have to concentrate as folk like Edin City and Cowden are resurgent at present.

There were no howling mistakes at Clyde except for the Goodwillie goal, he could have lifted the ball up and autographed it - he had that much time in the middle of our box. We were beaten by a very good side. That's all to be said - now get back to doing what we do well and hopefully Matty Allan will be back next week. Bolo will be and we should get back to three at the back with two wing backs and Masson and Redman pushing up into the inside forward positions again.

OK disappointing yesterday but the roof hasn't exactly caved in. Clyde are now an exceptional lot under Danny Lennon and our position was achieved by simply grinding out results rather than steamrollering anybody. We need to put Clyde behind us as we put the Peterhead 6-2 behind us and take one game at a time. Draw a quick positive line under it.
Brummo makes a good point about not wanting Clyde in the play-offs so we must win the league and avoid the play-offs. We can still do it but have to concentrate as folk like Edin City and Cowden are resurgent at present.
There were no howling mistakes at Clyde except for the Goodwillie goal, he could have lifted the ball up and autographed it - he had that much time in the middle of our box. We were beaten by a very good side. That's all to be said - now get back to doing what we do well and hopefully Matty Allan will be back next week. Bolo will be and we should get back to three at the back with two wing backs and Masson and Redman pushing up into the inside forward positions again.

I thought we were pretty much in control without threatening much (Redman should’ve scored when their keeper flapped at a cross) until they scored and had we managed to get to halftime one down there was all to play for. I’d disagree with you on the mistakes tho. The first goal was a disaster .. keeper kicks it long to the guy hugging the touch line on halfway .. nobody made any attempt to close him down so he runs 20-30 yds unchallenged and then pings it in from 20 yds out. Second goal Sanny completely lost his man who then heads home. The third was exactly as you describe it. Made even more annoying as it was almost identical to the he scored in the game in January. I’ve noticed lately that we seem to have got a bit lazy in our defending, especially in midfield, and not closing down as quickly as earlier in the season. Hopefully, the return of Matty and Bolo will get things back on track.

It worries me that we expect Matty and Bolo back, yet both were in the stand yesterday. Surely if they were half way ready they’d be on the bench?

I’d like to see them, but looks to me like they’re not ready.

The defence needs shoring up.

Dillo has no faith in Watson.
And that’s leaving us exposed.

Plus we are riding a lot of yellows for stupid tackles

That’s gonna affect the squad in the closing weeks if we arent careful

Cammy, please find your A game soon xx

12 hours ago, KieranClyde said:

Surely that guy yesterday wasn’t your normal keeper? If he is I’m very very surprised you are where you are in the league I thought he was dreadful. 

He had some fab saves too..... coulda easy been 6!

Our goal difference has never been so good.... 

To be fair, the defence is usually much better at protecting him, but we were weak at the back on saturday.  

On 3/25/2018 at 07:59, Brummo said:

Lessons learned from yesterday?

Unlike against Peterhead, the game plan against Clyde failed.

Just picking up on this particular part.  Surely you dind't go into the Clyde game hoping that their defence was shite and would gift you some goals.  As that is what your game plan for Peterhead was (and it worked for you on that occasion).

Defence was back to how it should be yesterday. At Clyde we had both Bolo and Matty Allan missing so had a makeshift centre back pairing which meant we played with a flat back four and lost any advantage we usually have from our overlapping wing backs. Accepting Edin City were nowhere as good as Clyde it still made a big difference getting the defence back to normal yesterday. Hopefully injuries and suspensions will take it easy on us now and we can keep a settled team to see it through - focusing step by step, game by game without looking any further ahead.

Oh well.  No early morning excitement checking the full-time score. Postponement may not be the worst thing but still. Roll on Saturday.

Probably B.L.T.

e.t.a. Rearranged fixture on the 10th before home match may turn out to be better option. Particularly since Stenny have an away game at Berwick on the Tuesday before the Mo pay them a visit. Interesting times.

Great result the day! Congratulations for a five star result.

Cowdenbeath are not going down without a fight. Good for them! For us, we need to carry forward momentum from today to Tuesday night and get the job done.

Can't see anybody doing us any favours between now and the end of the month. No easy games, that's for sure; irrespective of the League positions of the opposition.

Come on ye Mo!

Fantastic away support for the Mo today. It's been great all season in fact but today was exceptional. Great also to see all the players and staff come over to the fans at the end. That's how it should be whatever the result - we're all in this together.

Don't expect so many on Tuesday at Cowden but get there if you can - I will be. Cowden will be another hard game but with the same comittment as today we can do it.

Great result yesterday. I really hope you guys can get over the line and come up to League 1 next season (all four Angus teams in the league would be a good laugh).

That's some job Stewart Petrie's been doing. Odds of him being at Links Park next season?

Great result yesterday. I really hope you guys can get over the line and come up to League 1 next season (all four Angus teams in the league would be a good laugh).
That's some job Stewart Petrie's been doing. Odds of him being at Links Park next season?
Hope so as Well mate!Far from over peterhead are still winning and they have relatively easy last couple of games coming up.Petrie has been superb since he came to Montrose been a breath of fresh air in and around the club.He is signed up for next season but he must be on the radar of a few clubs with the job he has done at mo.

On 4/7/2018 at 21:21, MOFOREVER said:

Fantastic away support for the Mo today. It's been great all season in fact but today was exceptional. Great also to see all the players and staff come over to the fans at the end. That's how it should be whatever the result - we're all in this together.

Don't expect so many on Tuesday at Cowden but get there if you can - I will be. Cowden will be another hard game but with the same comittment as today we can do it.

Not quite as many, think quoted as 166 by a Cowdenbeath supporter, however for a wet Tuesday night in Fife a cracking turnout who made plenty of noise once again.

Not quite as many, think quoted as 166 by a Cowdenbeath supporter, however for a wet Tuesday night in Fife a cracking turnout who made plenty of noise once again.
Once we beat Berwick saturday(fingers crossed)their could be double the amount we had at Stirling last Saturday for the stenny game I'd imagine.

Archived