'C'mon the Mo' 2017-18

At the turn of the year and now having seen all teams in league two, may I with clear mind, suggest that Montrose will finish as champions this season.
I see new dimensions in the Mo’ both physically and mentally. Couple this to the fact that Mo’ are actually a decent side and you chaps up the coast should be planning a party.
I hope your right!

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Emfaefifeyahoorsur said:

At the turn of the year and now having seen all teams in league two, may I with clear mind, suggest that Montrose will finish as champions this season.
I see new dimensions in the Mo’ both physically and mentally. Couple this to the fact that Mo’ are actually a decent side and you chaps up the coast should be planning a party.

Your psychological warfare won't work on us.

But thanks, a long way to go still and we are yet to hit a poor spell which will undoubtedly come.

With the January transfer window about to open what's everyone thoughts about players coming in or leaving the club??
Brilliant start to the season and I would think sp is more than happy with the squad at the moment.Bolo should hopefully be returning soon in the next few weeks aswell which would be a welcome boost to the team.Cant see him playing much the way the back three are playing but would be good cover on the bench if any of the defence got injured or suspended.
The only others I could see leaving is maybe Ryan Ferguson or Danny Cavanagh as they have not featured much as they have both been injured most of the season which is unfortunate .Gary Fraser seems to be back to himself last couple weeks getting on the score sheet aswell which is good to see.

It might depend on the wage cap if there is one in L2 - can't remember if there is one. Anyway I think SP knows that we could still do with another experienced striker not just with this season in mind but the next one as well whatever division we are in. Sanny and Gary are both gonna struggle next season (age) and although they should see us through this season I'm sure SP will be thinking ahead. Might be hard to get something in place this January as good transfers at this time of the season usually cost money. The upside is that we are doing well and that could swing things in two ways. Firstly players are more likely to want to come and secondly Premier League clubs are maybe more likely to loan us a player or two to play in a successful side and get crucial experience in what is clearly a good dressing room.

As for players going out we need to be very careful to have cover in every position, At this time of the year the numbers of yellow cards are stacking up and automatic suspensions start kicking in. The only ones I'd look to either release or loan out would be Danny Cavanagh, Kieran Thompson (is he still with us?), Matty Wallace and Kyle Willox. Maybe one of McLaren, Hay or Ferguson could go out on loan to get pitch time but with instant release clauses just in case - but of course depends on if we get anybody else in.

To summarise, I think the priority is still up top  without a doubt as we can cover defence and midfield - but, and a big BUT, will anybody start knocking on our door trying to entice away some of our star players. Hope not. 

It might depend on the wage cap if there is one in L2 - can't remember if there is one. Anyway I think SP knows that we could still do with another experienced striker not just with this season in mind but the next one as well whatever division we are in. Sanny and Gary are both gonna struggle next season (age) and although they should see us through this season I'm sure SP will be thinking ahead. Might be hard to get something in place this January as good transfers at this time of the season usually cost money. The upside is that we are doing well and that could swing things in two ways. Firstly players are more likely to want to come and secondly Premier League clubs are maybe more likely to loan us a player or two to play in a successful side and get crucial experience in what is clearly a good dressing room.
As for players going out we need to be very careful to have cover in every position, At this time of the year the numbers of yellow cards are stacking up and automatic suspensions start kicking in. The only ones I'd look to either release or loan out would be Danny Cavanagh, Kieran Thompson (is he still with us?), Matty Wallace and Kyle Willox. Maybe one of McLaren, Hay or Ferguson could go out on loan to get pitch time but with instant release clauses just in case - but of course depends on if we get anybody else in.
To summarise, I think the priority is still up top  without a doubt as we can cover defence and midfield - but, and a big BUT, will anybody start knocking on our door trying to entice away some of our star players. Hope not. 

A wage cap??? What do you mean? [emoji1]

Your right about players attracting interest I would think Matty alan and Andrew steeves would be at the top of the list, both signed for the next campaign but both could do a job a league up or even in the championship.

20 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A wage cap??? What do you mean? emoji1.png

In the English leagues at least down to the L2 level a club can only spend a certain percentage of their income on players/wages otherwise they get heavily fined or even points deducted. Not sure if that also is the case in Scotland and if so down to what level. It's basically to stop clubs over-spending and getting themselves into deep shit financially.

In the English leagues at least down to the L2 level a club can only spend a certain percentage of their income on players/wages otherwise they get heavily fined or even points deducted. Not sure if that also is the case in Scotland and if so down to what level. It's basically to stop clubs over-spending and getting themselves into deep shit financially.

Do they really? I actually never knew that so fair enough. I imagine that percentage will be very high though.

But as mentioned there’s no such thing here anyway and if there was I doubt any club could come close to breaking it.

2 hours ago, Judge said:

Doesn't happen here or Rangers would have broken the rules when in league 2 even with just Kevin Kyle wages,

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Doubt it as Rangers were pulling in crowds of over 40,000 for most of their L2 home games so their wages cap would be astronomical by L2 proportions.

Doesn't matter anyway as Lichtie1320 says the cap doesn't apply in Scotland. I suppose most clubs are in financial shit anyway.

Need to draw a line under the Peterhead game as we are well capable of beating the other 8 teams in the division. I had to miss the P'Heid game but I gather that SP tinkered with the back line probably to try to thwart the threat from the opposition and of course because of the loss of two midfielders.

My thoughts would have been to make as few changes as possible and certainly to have left the back line alone with 3 plus two wing backs. To replace Foxy and Redman I'd have gone with Callaghan and Johnston as straight swops and left well alone otherwise - but what do I know! I suspected Sanny and Gary would get nowt out of the Peterhead defence but we know that is our weaker area (so too do opposition teams now) so tightness at the back and midfield are essential, building from the back and getting support to the front two. That's where I think Callaghan and Johnston would have been better than Watson who though I like a lot, doesn't have the same pace now.

Conclusion? Forget the last game and get back to where we were and be absolutely up for taking it out of Cowden - I hope to be there. After that it's Annan away and we always find them to be a problem especially from set pieces so getting it right against Cowden is an absolute must.

3 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

C’mon the Mo I’m hoping yesterday was just a blip. Please get promotion for your long suffering fans.

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated. Personally I've got a lot of time for the wee Rovers having been watching Rovers v Mo games for many years. You might be interested to know that Montrose have played more SFL/SPFL games against Albion Rovers than against anyone else except the Shire. 157 for wee Rovers, 171 against Shire then come QP 138, Stenny, Cowden and Forfar with 127, Arbroath 126. 

20 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

Need to draw a line under the Peterhead game as we are well capable of beating the other 8 teams in the division. I had to miss the P'Heid game but I gather that SP tinkered with the back line probably to try to thwart the threat from the opposition and of course because of the loss of two midfielders.

My thoughts would have been to make as few changes as possible and certainly to have left the back line alone with 3 plus two wing backs. To replace Foxy and Redman I'd have gone with Callaghan and Johnston as straight swops and left well alone otherwise - but what do I know! I suspected Sanny and Gary would get nowt out of the Peterhead defence but we know that is our weaker area (so too do opposition teams now) so tightness at the back and midfield are essential, building from the back and getting support to the front two. That's where I think Callaghan and Johnston would have been better than Watson who though I like a lot, doesn't have the same pace now.

Conclusion? Forget the last game and get back to where we were and be absolutely up for taking it out of Cowden - I hope to be there. After that it's Annan away and we always find them to be a problem especially from set pieces so getting it right against Cowden is an absolute must.

Heard from reliable source that with Webby calling off sick and someone else (forget who) failing a late fitness test, options were narrowed and makeshift plan clearly didn't work.

Hopefully on Tuesday, enough players will be fit to put on a more effective performance against a Cowdenbeath side, who were cruelly denied  at least a point in 90 +3 against our last opponents. They will be no pushover but really hoping Saturday was just a one-off, very bad day at the office and that Montrose will play to their full potential. 

Cammy Ballantyne back at Dundee utd massive blow for Montrose and a postion we will now need to strengthen asap.

Huge blow to us. Good luck to the lad though,deserves his opportunity to get game time at Tannidice and earn himself a new contract. Wonder if that's why Matty Allan played right back on Saturday if the manager knew this was coming. Need a replacement and fast as Matty been superb at centre half and want him to stay there.

Archived